Quiet and Accurate Air Rifle/Pistol for Backyard Shooting - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:29 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very Quiet & Accurate Air Rifle/Pistol for Backyard Sparrow Hunting

The other day I was talking to my across the alley neighbor
_ about a unknown dog in the common alley.
In our discussion, he mentioned he had recently heard someone firing a BB or pellet gun.
I let him know that it was I shooting at sparrows raiding my house finch feeders.
This information began to bother me.

I currently own a Daisy (Chinese) 880 pneumatic rifle.
Most of my shots have be at three to five compression strokes - never a full ten.
As such, there is not much more that I can do to reduce my noise signature
_ in my backyard - other than a quieter air gun/pistol.

Moreover, yesterday my wife witnessed/spied a less than precisely placed shot.
I wounded a sparrow - not an instantaneous kill.
The bird furiously fluttered around.
Then, ran away ... screeching terribly - all the while.
I felt very bad ... my wife felt even worse.
And, give she gave me much grief about eradicating sparrows and my bad shooting.

In my defense I retorted ... I need a more accurate gun and a telescopic sight.
In my mind I added ... quieter and, preferably, a repeater.

On a limited budget, I'm looking at a Baikal/Izhevsky IZH-46M
Or, a Daisy Model 853C Legend EX.

However, I'm not adverse to spending more money.
As such, the Crosman .177 Marauder is another rifle I'm seriously considering - CO2/Air 2000 psi.
It is quiet, accurate, a repeater and powerful.
However, the inconvenience and expense of PCP support concerns me.
Where I live doesn't have an in-town source for high-pressure compressed air.

I'm open to other suggestions or better ideas on air rifle/pistol that is by priority:
Very Quiet, Accurate, Repeater (preferably) and powerful enough to humanely take small pests.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:09 PM
slayer6
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
funny you should say that

I was thinking shrouded PCP when I was reading the first part of your post.
The air thing is not a huge deal in my opinion. I have a scuba tank ($159) and get it filled every couple months. You would get a few hundred if not more shots out of a maurder and a scuba tank. I went to a scuba shop and asked if they would fill a tank if I bought it from them. They said no problem I fill for other airgunners. I had it filled like that for a while. I eventually got a scuba license and can get it filled anywhere. I still have the same guy fill it. I bought my dad (73 years old) a talon ss pcp and an air tank. He has been shooting on the same scuba tank for 5 months or so. He will probably get close to a year out of it. I know he has shot over 300 pellets because he used the 300 I bought him and bought more himself. I decent scuba tank will give you many shots from most pcp's. I bought the hand pump and said " it will be good excersise!" I did that for a month and said screw this! The pumps need to cool, its not just your physical limitations or strengths. So if you do it plan on a scuba tank and a place to fill it first.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Nightwing9
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Springer's are almost always quieter than pumps or tanks. Get a Beeman R7 or a RWS and have fun. IMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 02:52 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
In my defense I retorted ... I need a more accurate gun and a telescopic sight.
In my mind I added ... quieter and, preferably, a repeater.

On a limited budget I'm looking a Baikal/Izhevsky IZH-46M
Or, a Daisy Model 853C Legend EX.

However, I'm not adverse to spending more money.
As such, the Crosman .177 Marauder is another rifle I'm seriously considering - CO2/Air 2000psi.
It is quiet, accurate, a repeater and powerful.
However, the inconvenience and expense of PCP support concerns me.
Where I live doesn't have an in-town source for high-pressure compressed air.

I'm open to other suggestions or better ideas on air rifle/pistol selection.
I just recently got an IZH 46M... LOVE IT!!!

It's as accurate as any handgun can be, and reasonably quiet. With only around 500 fps, I never thought of this as a hunting arm for anything bigger than a grape or animal cracker, but if you miss what you're shooting at with this, it is most assuredly NOT the gun's fault!

(I did see one lately for sale on GB with hemongus scope & mount, all set up for silouette shooting for $650.00...OUCH!)

COW 54
Old 09-25-2009, 03:02 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
500 fps ... Precise Pellet Placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
... With only around 500 fps, I never thought of this as a hunting arm
for anything bigger than a grape or animal cracker...,
The Baikal/Izhevsky IZH-46M or Daisy Model 853C Legend EX
_ I would use for target practice, plinking and sparrow eradication - only.
I think 500 fps would be adequate for very small pests
_such as sparrows and mice - assuming precise pellet placement.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:04 PM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quieter Than

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing9 View Post
Springer's are almost always quieter than pumps or tanks....
Quieter than a Crosman .177 Marauder with its shrouded barrel?
I've seen and listened to some videos of the Marauder being fired - very impressive.
Benjamin Marauder First Look - .177 .25" groups at 20 yards... virtually Silent!
Benjamin Marauder v.s Tech Force 89
Audio Comparison USFT Hunter, Marauder, TalonSS
Old 09-25-2009, 03:53 PM
snowshoe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Geez I'd sure hope so since I musta killed about a thousand of 'em with my trusty Red Ryder when I was a kid.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:01 PM
frog5215
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
550fps target guns (.177) are fine up to squirrels to about 20yd. And you can pick which whisker.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:21 PM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Moderated Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogieB View Post
Here's another video comparing the shot sound of a Marauder and Beeman R7....
Good video ... exactly what I was looking for - aom22.
The R7 report sounds like a staccato tat.
While the Marauder emits a fast ta-hing compared to the R7.

It is hard to judge but there seems to be a difference in report intensity and duration.
The R7 signature seems sharper and shorter.
The Marauder maybe slightly milder and lasting.
Now, I'm wondering if the .177 version of the Crosman is indiscernible from the .22 model?

Quote:
Personally, I don't think you need a PCP rifle to kill sparrows....
I agree ... the power of the Marauder is not what initially attracted me.
It was the moderated report provided by the shrouded barrel.
And, the fact it was a repeater.
If I were to buy a Crosman, it would be in .177 - not .22.

Quote:
... you have to safely stop those pellets in what sounds like a tight suburban environment.
I'm firing from a window in a standing position down
_ towards the ground in front of a tree in my backyard.
The grass and soft ground catch my pellets.
In the worst possible case as the ground drys-out and becomes hard,
_ any possible ricochet will be caught by a large pecan tree or wooden privacy fence.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:33 PM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Older BB Guns ... More Accurate???

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe View Post
Geez I'd sure hope so since I musta killed about a thousand of 'em with my trusty Red Ryder when I was a kid.
When I was a kid ... so did I - including mice, lizards, large grasshoppers,
_ wasp, spiders, cicadas, beetles, snails ... ad infinitum.
I was much smaller, very limber and sneaky.
But, my BB gun was not a Red Ryder.

I owned a similar Daisy model - can't remember the designation.
A step above the Model 105 - if I remember correctly.
Then, I bought a Daisy Model 1894.
And, later a Model 25.

All my life I've held the impression my old BB guns were reasonably accurate.
How else to explain why so many sparrows fall prey to my Daisy rifles.
I guess ... being stealthy helped more than I thought.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:09 PM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Extend Airgun Range

Quote:
... How far are you shooting?
Thanks ... but, I've already came across that video - good video.

At the moment, 25 to 33 feet.
My Daisy 880 is not accurate enough for reliable, humane sparrows kills beyond 33 feet.

I'd like to extend my effective range so I can move deeper into my utility
_ room to keep the airgun report completely confined inside my home.

Also, there is a grain mill about three miles from my home that allows hunting on its property.
Perhaps, they will allow me to hunt pigeon, mice and rats on their confines.
Probably some shots may range in yards - 25 plus.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:58 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
The Baikal/Izhevsky IZH-46M or Daisy Model 853C Legend EXIt's as accurate as any handgun can be, and reasonably quiet. With only around 500 fps, I never thought of this as a hunting arm for anything bigger than a grape or animal cracker, but if you miss what you're shooting at with this, it is most assuredly NOT the gun's fault!

_ I would use for target practice, plinking and sparrow eradication - only.

I think I made a poor choice of words here..

What I was trying to get across was that the IZH is a very purposely-built and wonderfully accurate target pistol, and to be honest, it just hadn't occured to me to use it for small critter control.

Fortunately, I have a fine pair of hunting katz that have quite reduced the small animal population (shrew voles, mice, occasional birds & possibly the last remaining chipmunk in the neighborhood, and even at least one snake in the grass!)

I'm a paper-puncher not a hunter, so I guess that I'm just thinking of things from a different perspective.

No worries!

COW 54
Old 09-26-2009, 08:48 PM
TOMBECK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
The FX Cyclone shrouded in .22 or .177 with 3 power levels is very quiet, very accurate, light weight and a good trigger. 8 shot mag and Biatholan (sp) bolt system. many shots per filling and can can be filled with hand pump or SCUBA tank (many times/bottle) - a rifle to love.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/ to get info
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/ to buy
http://www.airguns.net/ much info - buy - ratings - etc.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:30 AM
MangesMade
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Benjamin Discovery vs repeating Sparrow Trap ?

I hope I understand the question. You need a stronger, quieter, more accurate rifle to shoot Sparrows, with a limited budget but would splurge if the Marauder was up to the task ? For sure you do not need a Marauder to kill a Sparrow.....probably not even a Discovery, but both would and would do it very well. BUT..... IMHO between the two, the Discovery would be the better rifle.
I can't say which kind of rifle you should get, only you know your situation and must put all the answers from the RFC members to good use. I can say a few things about a Marauder and the Discovery as I have both. As one of the previous post said, PCP isn't that that big of a deal to get into. The tanks will last a long long time, and just shooting Sparrows and back yard targets you will be surprized how long a tank will last. I can't say how many shots you could get from the average (80 cubic ft) tank filled to 3,000 psi, but you can figure it out once you decide which rifle you want and which tank you buy. BUY THE LARGEST CUBIC FOOT TANK THAT YOU CAN AFFORD ! Buy a used tank, scuba tanks don't hold their resale value that well. One good thing about a Discovery, 2,000 psi is a fulll charge. When your tank comes to equalize (2,000 psi) you can't squeeze the remaining 1,000 psi into your rifle.
Did I say, BUY THE LARGEST CUBIC FOOT TANK THAT YOU CAN AFFORD ! Beware.....Some tanks are rated at 2800 psi..... I use a 105 cf tank filled to 4,000 psi and I have been shooting on it since January and Several boxes of pellets and it's still filling my rifles. You mention being in an area void of dive shops..... Check with your local fire department, most have a compressor and will usually fill your tank. Become friends with a Fireman, or Firelady,depending on which will fill your tank the best, no pun intended. If your a good shot, with a full charge of air you should easily be able to kill 35 plus Sparrows in a normal size back yard.
For what you described, and especially if money is a factor, IMO the Discovery is the better rifle. IF you don't mind the single shot, but I think you can even buy a 10 shot magazine to fit the Discovery ? My Discovery is LIGHT, and QUICK. The Marauder is very heavy and a bulky uncomforable stock. It's just not the rifle that I would grab to quickly shoot the proverbial sparrow off the Finch feeder from the back door. Compared to the Discovery, it's more of a bench / varmint rifle. I can't wait to find a better stock for mine ! My Discovery is very accurate, I couldn't count how many Sparrows, cow birds, black birds and Squirrels it has killed. If you miss, it's you, not the Discovery. If you live in close quarters and do not need the factory set velocity, you could install an adjuster on the Discovery and probably adjust it to shoot to your needs.
I had Tim at Mac 1 tune my Discovery (and my Marauder) and he installed the adjuster on mine.
You want the Discovery quiet, just add a moderator, I bought mine from Mike T, TKO..... they are very reasonable. My Discovery is quieter than the Marauder.
I know that there are many types and brands of rifles that are accurate and most all would probably kill a Sparrow. I can only tell you about the one's that I have and like. I'm a rimfire nut and judge my Discovery's performance compared to my rimfire's. My Discovery is not just accurate, but consistently accurate. One other thing I'd like to say about a PCP rifle. Anyone can shoot it. You may have to learn to shoot a spring / break barrel rifle accurately, how it likes to be held, follow through and such. The rifle may be very accurate, but it takes technique on your part to be able to get the most from it. With a PCP rifle you don't have to learn to shoot it. If your wife has never shot an air rifle, she can shoot a PCP rifle, and especially so if she can shoot a .22 rimfire rifle. If getting a scuba tank filled is still a problem you can buy a hand pump to fill your PCP rifle. I've never done it, but lots of people do. My advice would be to talk to someone that has one, it could be troublesome if your not atheletic or impatient. If you are comfortable with buying a used rifle, you see quiet a few Discovery's on the various air rifle classified's and combo's with the hand pump. Check out the Yellow forum classifieds http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/ seems like there were a couple on there.
Don't take this that a spring rifle isn't a good choice, lots of people shoot them.....it just would not be a good choice for me. But then I don't like to cock the barrel or pump a rifle for every shot.....plus I live in the middle of Cave diving Heaven.....and my friend owns a dive shop and fills my tanks for free....but even if he charged ,I think it's only $5.00.
Oil Well, You could probably buy a repeating Sparrow trap and take your wife out to eat for a lot less money.
Sparrow trap, $50 http://www.sparrowtraps.net/index.htm

Last edited by MangesMade; 09-27-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Doesn't Gamo make an air rifle w/ an integral suppressor? No worries about a tax stamp since it's built into the air rifle & not made to hold up to firearms use even if you did try to mount it on a real gun (& risk the whole BATF coming on your head in the process!)

Dunno if it meets your other criteria [I think it's a single shot, fwiw] but perhaps someone makes an air-rifle only suppressor you could fit to your existing rifle?