New Shooting Game? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:30 AM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Sorry I took so long to reply. It's a Smallbore Metallic Silhouette Pistol, designed for the match called Unlimited Standing. The only rules are caliber (22lr max) & weight. You are also not allowed to rest your arms against your body in any fashion. The high-rise scope mount lets you use a rifle scope, & hold the scope bell with your left hand with your fore-arm parallel to the ground, & your right hand on the grip normally with the arm relaxed. The muzzle tuner is on there to increase weight at the muzzle for an improved hold. You can stand in a relaxed upright position & shoot.
When the first guys (in LA I believe) started using a loophole in the big-bore Silhouette rules (you can use a big stupid XP100/Eiffel Tower basterd with a riflescope), the concept really caught on.
It's useless in the field, has no use for hunting but is FUN!! We have an XP-100 in 6mmx47 (222mag necked up to 243) too. Crazy, huh?
Chin guns are rifles with mounts so high you can rest your chin on the cheek area. They are not allowed in Smallbore Metallic Silhoette!

Last edited by 1FJEF; 09-24-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:14 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot a few targets today

Well I went to the range today, probably my last sight in before hunting will begin for me.
The range is closed next week end for a black powder shoot.
The day was kind of cool today with the temps at 46*-50* cloudy with a misty
rain but not much wind for the 1st couple of hours but then I had to deal with a switchy 5-10 mph wind.
My ace in the hole hunting ammo CCI sub-sonic didn't seem to like the cool temps, had a quite a few go supper sonic on me.....not good.
I tried a USBR target at 25 yards with CCI Subs and it didn't go to good.

So I switched ammo to CCI St. Vel & it shot better @ 25 yards. Until I moved to 50 yards.
I couldn't get the CCI St. Vel. to settle down for me at 50 yards. Not good because I want to use St. Vel ammo for hunting.
What to do what to do, well I had to go to my Ace in the hole ammo that has worked for me in the past in cold temps.
I have had good luck with Eley club-X & RWS Target Rifle.
I dug out some RWS & it shot very good & predictable....
Here is a few targets. 1st target, use of a chair & shooting sticks.

2nd target was using 3 sand bags as frnt. rest like shooting off a log.

The RWS Target rifle is going to be my hunting ammo this fall in my CZ Scout.
I am going to convert 50 rnds this week into a wad cutter small game bullets.

Now for scoring is it best edge or does the bullet hole have to be inside the
circle ?????? Now my targets are probably going to be disqualified.
But thats fine.....I have to have ammo for hunting that I have confidence in..
Still fun & great practice for hunting & got to weed out some ammo.

Midwest Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 10-04-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:59 AM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow. That's great shooting from a chair with sticks. I see you have the old RWS Target Rifle packaging, I have a bunch of the older RWS Target. I like the re-shape to "wadcutter". It's just like the CCI Small Game Bullet. Obviously any critter is in trouble if you can see it. Even at lower velocity that RWS FP (flat Point) will be deadly.
Please check the bottom target, top left PD to see if your hit broke through the line, if it cuts all the way through clean, it counts.
Great shooting.

Last edited by 1FJEF; 10-05-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Please check the bottom target

Hows this.

Thanks..1FJEF
I believe if my rifle was sighted in for 50 yards I wouldn't have use as much Kentucky wind-age.
But would still have to use some when the wind is blowing. Maybe that should be in the rules
no wind flags....I didn't use them.

Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 10-05-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:54 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Shucks, I just saw this today....

and I'll be shooting tomorrow. Hopefully...

EJ
Old 01-02-2010, 04:30 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I believe this will be extremely challenging for a hunting rifle (.22lr) at 100 yds. As I see it, the rifle/ammo/shooter must be capable of MOA to have a decent chance at it. It is not a 'gimme' for most setups and shooters. I look forward to giving it "a shot" . HA! more like a couple hundred before I give up and post what I was able to accomplish.

I'm already looking for a suitable hunting type rest to use. A couple of my guns don't have sling attachments and I don't want to install them just for the game (my 541-S as an example). I have others that will get swivels to use a bipod.

I'm going to try some of these prone. Gerald, if I get down there, I don't know if I'll get back up.

EJ
Old 01-02-2010, 05:46 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Well, I shot at these targets this afternoon. 50 yds with Win 555 bulk ammo. I had serious difficulty seeing the aiming point with my 2-7x leupold. So, I have to address that issue somehow. It did not seem to be focused properly for 50yds. Or my glasses were giving me problems. I generally use a single vision prescription sunglass pair for shooting, but couldn't put my hands on them. Anyway, it is clear that the gun/ammo part of the equation is good. Just got to fix the nut behind the trigger.

Got 3 out of 6 both targets I shot. Not good enough, but I can and will do better. It was 41, sunny, winds out of the east at 2mph at 4:20 PM. Too bad I let the good (for 1/2/xx) weather get away from me here.

Keep on shootin'

EJ
Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 AM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you need the aiming point changed let me know. I can make the entire area solid. I'll take a look at it. It's a little harder than it looks, isn't it!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:31 AM
FiremanFrank
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Cool game

I'll give this a run soon. I got in a bipod and also picked up a shooting stick and printed a few targets. I'll try at 50 yards first to see if I can hit anything. I think I will also use my Marlin in .17 HMR to start and see if I can get down to a .22 lr CZ 452 if I have success.

- Frank
Old 01-03-2010, 06:27 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Well, just got back in after trying to determine if the Ruger was going to make the grade. Scope was good, shooter okay, but rifle is just not consistent enough to play in this game.

Thanks for the offer on the modified aiming point. I am looking to change the scope on the FS if I can find a scope/ring combo that will work on it. I have 3-9 Leupold EFR that looks like it will work on the gun, but it doesn't focus quite like I need it to on the ocular end of things. But it might be good enough to let me play. I have another Leupold 3-9 with AO, but it is longer with a 40 mm objective and I don't think it will fit. A third possibility is a 3-9 Swift airgun scope that is shorter than the Leupold and might just squeeze in behind the rear sight base.

I can also give the game a shot with the 541-S which has a Nikon Buckmaster on it now. I'm pretty sure I can play with it.

Thanks for the game. It is going to be pretty challenging at 75 and a 100. I believe I will be able to clean them at 50 yd.

EJ
Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 AM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fireman Frank, shooting sticks are hard for me! I like the bipod! I'd like to see the Marlin do it at 75 or 100 yards, that would be great. I'd like to have TLARRbbs Rem 541-S, I got rid of a 541THB and almost got my hands on a beauty of a Rem 514 (or was it 513?) but ended up with a customized Ruger #1 .22Hornet instead.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
1FJEF:

A customized Ruger #1 in .22 hornet is a good thing. I wish I had one. Anyway, here in Athens, LA it is a balmy 31.4 degrees at 5:55PM. The weather service is predicting the coldest week in 14 years this week.

I won't be shooting any paper PD's this week!

EJ

Last edited by TLARbb; 01-07-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
1FJEF:

I finally picked up the modifed targets you were kind enough to email me. It's 22 F here now headed for a low tonight of 16 F. Same as the forecast last night, but the low this morning was 10 F. That's too cold for me. It did warm up to near 32 F, but I had to work today until 2:00 so I didn't get to shoot.

Anyway, when I get to the point that the weather is good (i.e., warm) enough, I'll shoot some of these and post them up.

EJ
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)

I tried this with my SS/SA, I thought it was terribly easy then I realized I was only shooting half the required distance....LOL...as soon as my CZ bolt gets home, I'll be trying it @ 5o yards with the American...Getty up post man...
Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 AM
Kaiser

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Send a message via AIM to Kaiser
Nice shootin' Chromie... dang this is a cool game... I am surprised I've never seen it before.

I'm definitely going to print some out and try it next time I head to the 50/100 yard range...