Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer47 View Post
What is the width and height of this target after printing? Mine is small enough that i am not sure I could see it at 50 yds. Measures 1 3/8 wide by 2 7/8 high.
yep. you should be able to see that silhouette though. just hold consistent point of aim and get your zero down with a load it likes and let it eat!
Old 05-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Mig View Post
I'm not sure I'll see them either, but I'm sure as hell going to give it a try.......

I printed up 5 sheets of card stock with 4 targets per sheet, and hopefully next Saturday will bring with it some decent weather so I can go shooting.....

Me Likey Clem, I'll be shooting this with the 452 Trainer with the Williams peep sight......
sounds like fun! peeps will be the way to go on this game for open sights. you should be able to see it.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
with 1x/open sights, this simulates shooting a 27.5x57.5" target at 1000y w/ a 10x scope, but without having to calculate for drop and drift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 PM
crpadiem
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This sounds like fun(course I say that before I try and see the target at 50 yards with my aperture sights ). One question, can I change the color of the target to black? I understand if not and will follow the rules, but I think black would be a little easier on the eyes(plus from what I remember the 1000 yard target is black). Either way I think I'll give it a try next week when I go to the range. Reminds me of a long range simulation I do on the computer that you have to range a target with the mildot, and compensate for distance, wind and temperature to hit targets out to a couple thousand yards if I remember right.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Tony Mig
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's sunny and plenty warm out today, but the wind is cranking out of the south east, that has it coming in right behind us on the rifle range, and it tends to swirl around inside the back and side berms creating a confused and highly variable direction and velocity.
That not withstanding, I still needed to smell gunpowder today, and made my first attempt at this new game. Knowing my results would be marginal at best considering the conditions, I pretty much experimented with the game and some different ammo.....

All targets were shot with my CZ 452 Trainer, the only modifications being, a Williams peep rear sight, and a Brooks trigger kit. Shot from my Caldwell Rock DeLux front rest and rabbit ear rear bag from the bench at the prescribed distance of 50 yards.....

(and Clem, it is very hard to see those little targets from that distance, especially when you print 4 to a sheet, and tack 5 sheets up together.....it all starts to blend after a few shots)......

Target #1 was shot with CMP (Aquila) HV target and as you will see, I was just getting my bearings on this one......

Things got a little better on target #2, also shot with the CMP HV......

Then I switched up ammo, and tried it with CCI Green Tag, target #3 was the first attempt with this ammo, and as you can see it took a few rounds to re-season the barrel, and re-adjust my aim going from a high velocity round, to a standard velocity round......

Although not as good as with the CMP ammo, Target #4 got better, but with the windy conditions this is no real test of accuracy......

#5 was shot with Aquila Golden Eagel standard velocity, no seasoning of the barrel, just went from the Green Tag right to this stuff, and shot...again, not too bad considering the conditions.....

All in all I had fun playing with this game, and plan to give it a more serious attempt on a day when conditions are more suitable for accuracy shooting with a .22Lr......
Old 05-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crpadiem View Post
This sounds like fun(course I say that before I try and see the target at 50 yards with my aperture sights ). One question, can I change the color of the target to black? I understand if not and will follow the rules, but I think black would be a little easier on the eyes(plus from what I remember the 1000 yard target is black). Either way I think I'll give it a try next week when I go to the range. Reminds me of a long range simulation I do on the computer that you have to range a target with the mildot, and compensate for distance, wind and temperature to hit targets out to a couple thousand yards if I remember right.
i cant see how changing the color of the target would violate the spirit of the game. so anyone that wants to change the color of the target can have at it.

i love that mildot sim game, ive got it too.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
nice shooting Tony! You are on the list with a 90.

fwiw, I know a guy locally with an Anschutz and peep sights that can shoot one hole at 50 (probably about .4") for 10 shots. its freaking amazing! you iron sight guys are bad to the bone!

if you want to change the color of the targets you are more than welcome too.

Quote:
It's sunny and plenty warm out today, but the wind is cranking out of the south east, that has it coming in right behind us on the rifle range, and it tends to swirl around inside the back and side berms creating a confused and highly variable direction and velocity.
That not withstanding, I still needed to smell gunpowder today, and made my first attempt at this new game. Knowing my results would be marginal at best considering the conditions, I pretty much experimented with the game and some different ammo.....

All targets were shot with my CZ 452 Trainer, the only modifications being, a Williams peep rear sight, and a Brooks trigger kit. Shot from my Caldwell Rock DeLux front rest and rabbit ear rear bag from the bench at the prescribed distance of 50 yards.....

(and Clem, it is very hard to see those little targets from that distance, especially when you print 4 to a sheet, and tack 5 sheets up together.....it all starts to blend after a few shots)......

Target #1 was shot with CMP (Aquila) HV target and as you will see, I was just getting my bearings on this one......

Things got a little better on target #2, also shot with the CMP HV......

Then I switched up ammo, and tried it with CCI Green Tag, target #3 was the first attempt with this ammo, and as you can see it took a few rounds to re-season the barrel, and re-adjust my aim going from a high velocity round, to a standard velocity round......

Although not as good as with the CMP ammo, Target #4 got better, but with the windy conditions this is no real test of accuracy......

#5 was shot with Aquila Golden Eagel standard velocity, no seasoning of the barrel, just went from the Green Tag right to this stuff, and shot...again, not too bad considering the conditions.....

All in all I had fun playing with this game, and plan to give it a more serious attempt on a day when conditions are more suitable for accuracy shooting with a .22Lr......
Old 05-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Rules slightly revised to make it a little more user friendly, changes in bold.

Last edited by Clem-E; 05-14-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Tony Mig
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Might try it in black Clem, I always manage to see black better when shooting with the irons.
I also need to spread them out a little more, can't have them too close since they all start to blend together, and it's hard to figure out which one you're supposed to be shooting at......

Iron sights are not as hard as many think they are, they are more challenging than shooting with a scope, but it's not really all that hard to do. It's a matter of practice, training your eyes, and getting to know your sights.

I shoot the Trainer with the irons until I can no longer hold my focus, then switch to the Varmint with the scope, but even with a scope I'll start to get the dreaded "Scope Eye" after a while, and then I have to call it quits.......(getting old sucks)
Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 PM
crpadiem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I figured I'd try this today as the range was empty early(8:00) and there was no wind. I can say that with open sights, I have a hard time making out more than 4 of these bulls on a piece of paper(tried 6 bulls on two different pieces and didn't do nearly as well). Here's my equipment:

A Vostok Ural, open sights, Winchester 333 bulk ammo(36gr HP), shot off a cheap Caldwell plastic rest and rear sandbag. I'm anxious to refinish it, but want to get my scope mount first to see how much wood I'll be removing from the side mount area.

Here's the first target:

I did ok, but was wanting to do better so here's my second:

Made 100, but I'm not too proud of the three other bulls. It was fun, course I then moved out to 100 yards and put 10 shots of the same ammo just under 2" on the fourth target shot. I really need to get some match ammo, just I'm too cheap to spend the cash .
Old 05-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Tony Mig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I really need to get some match ammo, just I'm too cheap to spend the cash .
Join the club brother, why do you think I started the Cheap Ammo Challenge....

Once in a great while I'll score a brick of Federal 711B, SK, or Aquila Golden Eagle, but for the most part I shoot everything, and that includes the 50 yard Iron sight bench rest matches, and the USBR matches, with cheap ammo.......

Federal Champion Target, Aquila SV, CMP, American Eagle, Winchester DynaPoint Target, and my all time favorite....CCI Blazer......
Old 05-13-2009, 05:34 PM
crpadiem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
and my all time favorite....CCI Blazer......
So you like CCI Blazer too? That's my number two so far in the cheap ammo that the Ural likes. At 100, it seems to run neck in neck with the Winchester 333, but at 50, the Winchester is more consistent(go figure). Problem with the Blazer though is it fouls out the barrel, my groups will start opening up after about 50 rounds(and I mean opening up!). I run a couple patches through, and it's ok(after about 3 shots). The Winchester I've shot all morning once(about 200 rounds) not a problem, just keeps descent groups.

I'm thinking of getting a bullet sizer as I've heard they help a little. Heard much about them, and which one would you recommend?

BTw, thanks for the cheap ammo challenge, I really liked that!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:09 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Seems like I remember some of the pirates talking about bullet lube. That might help with the blazers. They shoot good for me, but since I got the 3 boxes for the CAC, I have not been able to find any more. I did not notice that they fouled up and started opening the groups, but then again, I did not shoot very much with them since I only had the three boxes (50rd packs).

You might do a search and see if you can find the info on the bullet lube.

EJ
Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Well I figured I'd try this today as the range was empty early(8:00) and there was no wind. I can say that with open sights, I have a hard time making out more than 4 of these bulls on a piece of paper(tried 6 bulls on two different pieces and didn't do nearly as well). Here's my equipment:

A Vostok Ural, open sights, Winchester 333 bulk ammo(36gr HP), shot off a cheap Caldwell plastic rest and rear sandbag. I'm anxious to refinish it, but want to get my scope mount first to see how much wood I'll be removing from the side mount area.

I did ok, but was wanting to do better so here's my second:

Made 100, but I'm not too proud of the three other bulls. It was fun, course I then moved out to 100 yards and put 10 shots of the same ammo just under 2" on the fourth target shot. I really need to get some match ammo, just I'm too cheap to spend the cash .
Nice Work! First Perfect Score! As promised, here is the special award.....

and by your name you will have the recognition of being the first shooter to score a perfect 100!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
crpadiem,

I noticed your occupation, got anything for these?