Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:24 AM
RimfireCentral

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mounting a scope base on a 10/22 tips, The Bump

Submitted By: Randy at CPC

Killing The Un-seen BUMP

Over the years I have noticed a 'casting bump' on the front top of most Ruger 10/22 receivers... Hot molten aluminum injected into the casting mold is slightly abrasive and washes away the mold cavity leaving a bump in product... Not all, most, (some receiver have to come from new or newly repaired molds)... Other people never notice this bump until they put a straight edge up against receiver and see the light coming through... This bump has to be removed if the scope mount is going out to the end of the receiver or beyond, over the barrel... Bump BENDS scope mounts upwards like a little ski slope... Scopes prefer a flat base... So I remove the bump... Removing bump always means removing and marring the finish... Oh well... I put the scope mount lightly in position than place masking tape along both sides to try and keep most of marring under the mount and hidden... I take a large sharp flat file and length ways, I flat file (rub) the top of the receiver trying to even out a flat surface between the 4 mounting holes... I clean the aluminum dust off the file with a 'file card', (a wire brush will do) very often, every two or three stokes... I slightly rotate the file to match the curved surface of the receiver top... I never get a receiver totally flat nor do I try but I do get all of the bump... Removing the bump is important when mounting a Power Custom Bridge mount or a Weaver TO-9 using 4 mounting holes... Removing the bump is not required with Weaver TO-9 using 3 screw mounting position or with some cantilever scope bases... Volquartsen cantilever scope base has clearance cut in base to clear the bump... If the bottom of your scope mount has clearance cut in for the bump, than you need to do nothing, but most have no clearances... If not, take a flat edge like a metal scale/rule, place it on top of mount or receiver and look under it for light... Good bump hunting/killing to ya...

Randy