Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:24 AM
RimfireCentral

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
10/22 Bolt Pinning

Submitted By: Gunsmither

If using a mill, you'll have no problem lining up the bit to touch the top of firing pin. If using a drill press, adjust your vise as in the photo's to hold bolt just touching top of firing pin, and lock down vise to table, and double check alignment.

Then slide bolt out in vice jaws a short ways to line up bit in drilling position, and tighten vise jaws.

I use a 1/16" Carbide "HI-ROK" drill bit; drill about a .385" deep blind hole down across the firing pin slot into the other side; use at very high speed with cutting oil or coolant. Make sure you feed drill in fairly slow, and clear chips from drill bit frequently, as this type of bit has straight flutes, and does not pull chips out like a regular twist drill.

After the bit breaks thru the surface hardening, you'll hit soft metal, then hard again as it breaks thru the other side and starts into the other side of the slot. I then use a 1/16" roll pin with the open edge away from the firing pin top.

What it should look like from the top of the bolt.

Factory and modified bolt side by side.

I also suggest to remove the firing pin before drilling, and smooth the top of firing pin to just clear under pin by about .001"