Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:26 PM
22AGS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
remember those milk carton style bb boxes. no telling how many of those I went through.

hey you still have your first BB gun?
Are you kidding me?
I remember the day my BB rifle fell apart in my hands, the coke bottle muzzle and its inner tubed barrel fell out the end of the gun onto the ground. I probably, at a conservative estimate, shot one billion rounds through it, so I got my money's worth. I have these as memories of those days...

And I got this in 1968 to replace my beloved bb gun. Another wonderful exploration tool, many fond memories. And it still shoots amazingly accurately.

Last edited by 22AGS; 07-16-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 PM
WheelchairBandit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 241 Speedmaster 22 Short

Winchester 74 22 Short,1939 first year of production

WB.

Last edited by WheelchairBandit; 07-16-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Que
RFC Sponsor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (101)
fine examples of those BB guns. believe it or not...... my dad still has my Daisy back in TN. I'm going to have to get it and bring it down here one day. last I knew there was no pressure build up in it so the BBs really don't do much haha

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 08:48 PM
WheelchairBandit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some classic hunting photos featuring walnut and old iron.

WB.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:56 PM
WheelchairBandit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

WB.

Last edited by WheelchairBandit; 07-16-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:11 PM
mr_ouija
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I love all the 1899 style levers in those pictures, but the one picture I like the most is the guy carrying the bear over his shoulder. I doubt anyone could question that guy's manhood. All great pictures though.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 PM
cp1969

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Notice how worn some of the guns look. Was the bluing that thin back in the day? Because the guns can't be all that old when these pictures were taken.

Lots of lever actions; few bolts. Those guys were hunters, not shooters.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:56 PM
WheelchairBandit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Notice how worn some of the guns look. Was the bluing that thin back in the day? Because the guns can't be all that old when these pictures were taken.
The bluing is worn because those rifles were carried a lot.

You don't see it much anymore,as most people only tote their rifles once or twice a year.

WB.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:04 AM
roothog
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
WCB, that buck musta really been in rut!!! (last picture) RH
Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Que/22AGS

Those old Daisy Red Ryder BB-guns bring back a lot of memories. I got my first one for my 5th birthday (1946). It was about as long as I was tall. I had to hold the stock between my feet while I cocked it. From that day forward, pigeons and sparrows, and a whole lot of anything else, were in deep doo-doo on the farm. This was a long time ago on a farm in northern Iowa. I would sit in the kitchen in the winter time and shoot mice as they came out at night and tried to run from the kitchen sink side to the old stove on the other side of the kitchen. I think I wore one out every year for the next 8-9 years. I had one of the Daisy pump BB-guns one year. It had more power, but it was a pain to load and didn't last as long as the standard Daisy. I started shooting that old Remington 24 (See a post on this thread) when I was 10 for rabbits and squirrels, but the BB-gun was in my hands every day too. BBs were always in the little paper tubes with the slip off cap. 5 cents a pack. I had a pack of lead BBs up until a few years ago. Lost them somewhere. That Rem Mdl 24 was really accurate with the fine iron sights. It would still shoot every bit as good as what you said your Model 241 shot when I finally put it up in 1955 or so. Those were the good old days. VH67
Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 AM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice to hear another's reminisce about the Daisy. I clearly can see those yellow and black cardboard tubes with the black cap. It meant adventure! In south Georgia I guess it was more affordable for young whippersnappers like me to buy the cellophane packets of gold not silver bb's, because that is what we carried more than the tubes. You'd tear off the corner of the corrugated plastic with your teeth, same as how peanuts were packed back then, and there was a science to making the correct corner opening, so that you could pour the bb's into the end of the open magazine tube without losing,well, too many
Old 07-17-2008, 09:08 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
22ags

I still keep a Daisy BB-gun around the house. Keeps one of my "wants to wonder" dogs from considering that action; and pesky squirrels off the bird feeder. I had a Crossman .22 pellet pistol once. Got it for my 15th birthday. It shot pretty good, but I used to get tired of pumping it up 14-15 times to get enough energy to pop a sparrow or pigeon off the top of the silo. My grandson is 6, and my #2 son got him a RR BB-gun for his birthday. I handed down a Savage .22/.410 to him this spring for my grandson (& granddaughter) to start shooting. Never to young! VH67
Old 07-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Que
RFC Sponsor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
I handed down a Savage .22/.410 to him this spring for my grandson (& granddaughter) to start shooting. Never to young! VH67
nice hand-me-down, I have one of those myself. don't really shoot it yet I certain wish I'd had one of those in my young squirrel hunting days.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Mega
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I gave my wife a RedRyder for Christmas last year and my neighbor gave one to his wife too.
Ours stays by the rear slider to discourage pests like crows and deer from raiding the bird feeder.

My neighbor and I sometimes get together on the deck to knock cans around the back yard with them.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:19 PM
roothog
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Here's an old rem 512. Got it at a gun show from an older gentleman who had set up a small table.Said this one had been in his closet for years , he had shot it very little and decided he didn't need it. It didn't have a scratch on it! I gladly gave him $160 for it and it's a real shooter! ( the trigger is a bugger,though). RH