Superstock Off-hand Challenge - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Tony Mig
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed647 View Post
I hereby nominate "Cutlass Liz" to be the SS Mascot for this game.

Women with swords just slay me.
I know that girl, recently saw her in a video...
Old 07-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I'll second that emotion. I gave it a try today and quickly demonstrated to myself I need some practice. I can keep them in that 2" circle, but I'm a long way from getting down to 1.25" groups!

Point of order on that score, Trent. As I read it, keeping them in the 2" ring doesn't make me Cutlass Liz unless I also make the 1.25" grade -- n'est-ce pas? If so, you may want to add a line or two of text to clarify in the rules.
I wondered if that was going to confuse some folks. You are correct though. 1.25" average is a prerequisite for getting the Cutlass Liz/Long John Silver group.

What kind of average did you end up with? If you don't mind going public that is.

I'm happy to see people giving it a try!

EDIT I added a little note stating that the LJS/CL group has to also be under the 1.25" average. I left the Bluebeard group as is since if you are able to stay within the center bull you are already within the 1.25"

Last edited by Trent; 07-01-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Tony Mig
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
What size aperture does your new peep sight have? I think for this challenge I'll need to swap out my front aperture for a post sight insert.

_
They come in different sizes......

I would assume it's of a proper size for target shooting since I did order the sight with target knobs. Keep in mind this is the first peep sight I've ever owned. Had a few battle rifles with the ghost ring rear sight, but never had a rifle with a good target grade, adjustable appature sight like this, so my knownledge is very limited on this subject.
I'll be using the stock front post with it, don't know if the front sight mount will accomodate other front appatures, but it would be cool to try a few.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Mig View Post
They come in different sizes......

I would assume it's of a proper size for target shooting since I did order the sight with target knobs. Keep in mind this is the first peep sight I've ever owned. Had a few battle rifles with the ghost ring rear sight, but never had a rifle with a good target grade, adjustable appature sight like this, so my knownledge is very limited on this subject.
I'll be using the stock front post with it, don't know if the front sight mount will accomodate other front appatures, but it would be cool to try a few.....
Oh yeah... they come in every diameter you can imagine. From the smallest of around .022 +/- all the way up to the ghost rings you would see on military rifles. My Mossberg rear aperture is about .043. I had JRH make me a custom one with a .030 aperture and it was very difficult to see through. From what has been explained to me though, the size of the rear aperture doesn't necessarily dictate the accuracy level. It has more to do with how much available light that you have. To some degree anyway. A small .050 aperture is going to generally be more accurate than a ghost ring. (but then again... they serve different opinions.

Here is how I measured my opening. I stuck a pointed toothpick in the hole and then measured where it left a smudge with my micrometer. I know that's not "exact" but it ended up being within .002 of what the manufacturer states.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:15 PM
varmintshooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well trent I did a bunch of shooting today with my .22lr fs,I could keep it in a 3" circle but a few kept getting out when shooting at your target,I seem to shake more since the surgery,guesse I need to practice more,there's an Idea shoot more

Neil
Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzizaVFR View Post
Okay. It is fixed and improved. It is another 3 page PDF file with different variations on the black level. Also, the lighter circles are outlined in black at exactly 2". Here is the updated link.

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=666082&da=y
Randall, can you make the center circles 1"? I think you have them at about 1 1/4".

Actually, you know what. Leave them like they are at 1.25" and I will change the rules to coordinate with your target. Only makes sense to have the center bull be 1.25" just like the average. The less we have to remember the better off we are!
Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ok. I have done a little editing to the rules and recommended target. Randall (AzizaVFR) was nice enough to supply us with some targets created with Corel which are more accurate in dimension than I could manage in MS Word.

Also, you have 3 levels of shading to choose from so you can decide on how visible you would like the target, and how much ink you want to consume.

Effectively you now have a slightly better chance of getting into the Bluebeard/Gunpowder Gertie class.

I'm also considering adding 1.5", 1.75" and 2" classes. You would then be able to bump yourself up through the pirate ranks as your offhand shooting improves. I know my muscles are going to improve each time I attempt this, and I'd really like to eventually get into that Bluebeard category. Can I have a show of hands on who thinks this change would be an improvement to the existing format?
Old 07-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintshooter View Post
Well trent I did a bunch of shooting today with my .22lr fs,I could keep it in a 3" circle but a few kept getting out when shooting at your target,I seem to shake more since the surgery,guesse I need to practice more,there's an Idea shoot more

Neil
I'm going to have to charge you for the physical therapy I am providing you.

I am going to physical therapy twice a week right now for my left hand. I had no idea that breaking a finger could cause so many problems. At least now I don't have a bunch of pins sticking out of me!
Old 07-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
What kind of average did you end up with? If you don't mind going public that is.
Best 4-group average was 1.56" but the other sheets averaged between 1-2/3" and 1-3/4". It's a tough challenge alright. I used the American and think if I had another 4 oz or so on the front end it would be easier to hold her steady. Might have to put a scope on the Trainer and see if her longer barrel will do the trick, or maybe just move the Trainer's sling to the American... yeah, that might do it.

Last edited by Sophia; 07-01-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Best target was 1.56" but the others were between 1-2/3" and 1-3/4". It's a tough challenge alright. I used the American and think if I had another 4 oz or so on the front end it would be easier to hold her steady. Might have to put a scope on the Trainer and see if her longer barrel will do the trick, or maybe just move the Trainer's sling to the American... yeah, that might do it.
Challenging... but fun too right?

Thanks for bringing that up. When I tried it I wasn't using a sling, and I think it might end up being a necessary tool on some of my rifles. The lighter ones in particular.

Which by the way... multiple rifles are allowed. I didn't make that clear, but I will add it to the guidelines.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Tony Mig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I'm also considering adding 1.5", 1.75" and 2" classes. You would then be able to bump yourself up through the pirate ranks as your offhand shooting improves.
I think this is a very good idea Trent, establish 4 catagories starting at 2", 1.75", 1.5", and 1.25". This would get more folks on the score board faster, and help hold their interest in sticking with it until they can make that 1.25".....

And with multible rifles, they can work their way down with one before trying with another.......
Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks Tony! That's exactly what I was thinking.

I have added this to the guidelines and also created what is now four separate sub groups.

Quote:
Average your four group sizes. If they average 2.0" or less welcome to the SuperStock Off-hand Club! Four individual categories of 2", 1.75", 1.5" and 1.25" have been established. The goal here is to shrink your groups and move yourself into the next bracket down, and hopefully into the sub 1.25" range. Self improvement baby!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sophia! Lets see those groups! I think you'll be the first officially on the boards!

I "convinced" my wife that it is a good idea for me to go to Ben Avery tomorrow after work so that I can give this challenge an official attempt. Hope it's not too windy!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
What? Say what?!? Oh... the change! LOL! I *know* I read that thing three times this morning and just knew it was 1-1/4"! Whew... thought I was going batty there

But now you have a chance to beat me on the boards, Trent, as those babies went out with the trash this afternoon. Good luck at Avery tomorrow -- but you better get 'er done as I'll be hot on your heels. Thursday is shotgun day but I think I'll celebrate Independence Day with some offhand rimfire shooting!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Trent, as those babies went out with the trash this afternoon.
Crap. Sorry! You don't waste anytime! My office is littered with shot up targets. The wife just loves it.

Quote:
Thursday is shotgun day but I think I'll celebrate Independence Day with some offhand rimfire shooting!
I'll be headed to Boulder Colorado for Independence Day weekend, so no shooting for me this weekend. I'll be monitoring from afar for any pirate activity though!

How is that new shotgun doing? You just got a new one right?