17hmr 50yd Club - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 PM
s&w686

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

mchughcb, I agree with Markbo. Way too much wind! If I could shoot .41 in 30mph wind I would be really happy!

Keep trying y'all this wasn't supposed to be easy just alot of FUN!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
17remfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You guys have it right .I went to the range yesterday to give it another try and the day before I had the rifle cleaned with Flitz so I know it had to get shot in some to get tight . It certainly did do that and with the calmish conditions compared to Saturday,I was starting to group very tight .I did need to make some scope adjustments and wish I had brought another box of ammo with me .I think ill be able to get it if I dont fall apart haha..I wanted to thank the poster for making this game up . Its great to have a target goal to reach that is a challange for sure .Ill buy a caliper this week and start measuring stuf.

Last edited by 17remfan; 04-04-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 PM
FiremanFrank
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Should be an ammo rep

I think the guy who thought this up should be a representative for an ammo company. I just ordered 10 more boxes of HMR to try and do this contest. Ouch, it is expensive but I am having a bunch of fun.

- Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 PM
s&w686

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Glad you all are having fun. Hmmmmm I think I might give Hornady a call and see if I can get a kick back
Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 PM
KCgearhead

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I like this challenge and will try it Friday if the weather is decent. My Savage last shot .269 CTC @50 and has better bedding now. It's been windy about every day this winter but I'll keep my fingers crossed
Old 04-03-2008, 12:11 PM
grousered
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
not horse shoes

I thought this would be easy. No wind, 70 degrees, Marlin.Annie, Remy. Close but no cigar. How about a class for over age 73? Just kidding.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:53 PM
s&w686

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I tried today and managed a .403..........so close but so so far!
I'll keep trying.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
huntnfish08
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm optimistic!

I stopped out at my buddies Tuesday to help him pattern his shotgun. Thought about this contest and thought I'd give it a shot. Sorry I don't have a pic, broken camera, but here's my results anyway.

Conditions- Less than optimal for tight groups. Shooting off a pair of homemade shooting STICKS sitting on a steel folding chair. 38`F, Steady 5 mph wind from my 9 o'clock, gusting to 10mph. Room temp 917V and Hornady 17vmax. Temp of rounds cooled off from first shot to last.

Group # 1 - 4 shots measuring 0.53125" CTC. I pulled shot 2(trigger squeeze) opening the group to an even 1.00" CTC.

Group # 2 - 5 shots measuring 0.8125" CTC. Shots taken much faster than group one. Group shows .5" vertical string(breathing) and .75" horizontal stringing. Not sure if its from rushed shooting/sloppy trigger squeeze, or the wind.

Also shot a quarter sized copper slug with a Gamepoint(happened to have it in one of my pockets). It punched a nice hole though it as I knew it would. Odd thing is you almost cant tell which way it went through. It splashed the same amount of jagged metal on the entry side as it did the exit side.

I'll try to get a little better groups and post them up here. Like I said I am very optimistic that I'll make it. I think the chair hurt my shooting. No back support and no rear bag. Its a good test of my field shooting. Next time will be from the prone supported position. The snow is still hanging on around here though. I will probably just use a 100# bag of corn for a front rest and a sock or corn for a rear bag. .299" is on the way.

QUESTION- How do you guys time your shot with your heartbeat? I can control my breathing and trigger squeeze, but still SEE my heartbeat in the crosshairs. I know the bags will help alot.

The gun used is pictured as well as the shooting stix. Its got a 7year old BSA Contender 6-24x42 on it. Groups shot on 18X as I was moving around in the breeze to much for 24x.

Last edited by huntnfish08; 04-03-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:59 AM
bob hardy
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a big coyote, or is it a german shepherd? LOL!
Was that a one shot kill? If so, the 17 detractors might have to reconsider.
Bob
Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM
APEXDUCK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
huntnfish08,

Nice coyote there buddy! They grow big in the colder climates. Ours down here in NC are smaller and scrawny beast.

FYI on the heart beat thing. I find stopping my heart for a beat or two works best just have to make sure to start it again after pulling the trigger. It's all in the rest and the timing. Try to control the sway of the barrel and slowly find that breaking point of the trigger and click at the right moment. All part of the skill of bench shooting. This is why bench guns have heavy heavy barrels and flat fore arms on the stock to let the gun anchor it self and all you do is touch the trigger. also a good coat helps to isolate the heart beat. Thus the shooting jackets you see for Olympic style and long range competition shooting.

APEXDUCK
Old 04-05-2008, 04:40 PM
17remfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sears has every tool in the world but a digital caliper .Thats just wonderful.I ordered one sitting here.Today I shot a group that covered a dime but its not good enough as we know.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:08 PM
s&w686

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I tried again today 1st group .272" 2nd group .626" bummmer!

Was good enough to get my 1st groundhog with this rifle @ 198 yds

It was almost straight behind where I was shooting the 50 yard target.

1st groundhog with 17hmr @ 198 yds with Hornady 20gr XTP
Old 04-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Dust_Remover
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll make it out either tomorrow (if it's not raining and low/no wind) to try this. I just got my 17HMR last week. My first time out of the box without a proper break in (which I don't really believe in anyway) I got some great groups that would put me in the club, however there were some technical difficulties;

Group 1: .241" but only 3 shots
Group 2: .276" 5 shots, but not the target i'm suppose to shoot
Group 3: .308" but only 3 shots

I need to clean the rifle, and get out to the range so I can be member number 2 or 3. BTW, rifle is a Savage 93R17-BTVS, completely stock, untouched as of yet.

Branden
Old 04-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Shummy
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello,
First Post. Up until two weeks ago I hadn't shot rimfire over 500 times in my life. Figured maybe it would be a bit more economical to practice with these little things rather than buy powder by the case. Was surfing around trying to find some info about 22's last week to prep for a local shoot and low and behold stumbled on to this 17 club thing.

This thread was in the back of my mind when I figured out that my 22 only likes $14 / 50 box ammo. Bought a Marlin 917VS Friday to get into this elite club. Stuck a BSA Contender 6-24 on it.

My initial impressions were hopeful. Gave it a fair cleaning and set up at 50yds. First shot out was about 1 1/4 from center. Then did a .373 three shot 1/4 inch below the bull. Grinning from ear to ear I raised it up a few clicks and dropped down to a small diamond. Reality decided to join me and resulted in a .990 5 shot. Cleaned it again, shot 2 foulers (.42 ctc) and then dropped down to the other diamond for a .626 5 shot. Cleaned the snot out of it tonight, full treatment, can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. Oh yeah and ordered a trigger.

s&w686
For starting this thread, not only should you be getting a cut from Hornady, you should add Marlin, Rifle Basix, BSA, and Weaver to your list. If the trigger don't get it Steel bed, Leupold, and potentially Savage, CZ, etc. could end up on it as well.

Thanks,
Shummy
Old 04-06-2008, 06:16 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to the gang, Shummy. And congratulations on the new rifle. From what I gather from reading your post, even though you haven't done that much rimfire shooting you know your way around the shooting world very well.