Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 AM
APEXDUCK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

mchughcb,

I think the cartridge is completely capable of all it has been made out to be, give the right conditions (little or no wind). The problem is the person behind the trigger! This is not as easy as everyone would like to think it is, which is obvious by the number of folks who have viewed but not added to the list. After my failed attempt yesterday I'm finding it is not the gun or the cartridge but me and my bench set up being the problem. Like most shooting sports 90% mental. I shot about 8 groups of 4 that would pass the test, that 5th round was always the zinger. Not always the last shot. I find I really need to build or buy a better rear bag for bench shooting like this. A couple of sad sand bags in the rear just do not provide the consistent solid support needed. Then add in all the other factors of breathing, trigger control, wind and weather, other shooters, the crappy target frames my club has (APEXDUCK excuse # 7, now I'm sounding like a trap shooter with a list of excuses).

I will get out on Sunday and try to join the list. of the special few. Good luck to all. This is not a cake walk like some would seem to think.

APEXDUCK
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 PM
WERA49

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
which is obvious by the number of folks who have viewed but not added to the list.
That includes me. I'm still waiting on decent weather. We've had high winds in between rain showers. I now have the new part made for the rifle, and the rest is ready.

Someday soon, I'll post pictures. I don't want my pictures to show my 'weather report'!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:07 PM
FiremanFrank
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Give it some time

I know that for myself, between the weather (windy most days) and extra shifts at work I haven't had time to have a go at it. I did shoot a few shots from my Marlin and think it will give it a good try but I was busy testing cheap ammo for my .22s and ran out of time.
Since I have several .22s that will make this and my Savage .17 was more accurate than them at 100 yards I think as soon as I can combine a day off with some decent weather I just may make it. I really wanted to post early and make it but I can't turn down the extra shifts at work when they are available. Not with the rising costs of ammo, anyway.

- Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 11:26 PM
s&w686

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Apexduck that is why I started this thread, it wasn't supposed to be easy, just fun for us regular shooters. I had thought about making the .300" bigger at first but ricochet talked me out of it and then he goes and makes it look easy with his great shooting.

Good luck to all..........I hope to get back out and try it soon if the weather ever changes.

I love reading the posts that say oh this looks like fun I'll give it a shot this weekend and they seem like it will be a piece of cake and for some reason I haven't seen to many posts with range reports in them............maybe they haven't made it to the range yet.

Last edited by s&w686; 03-27-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:17 PM
quigley284

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks alot

S&W, thanks for the new game. Can't wait to try. Say did that Rico guy say where his Savage lives at? P.S. extra nice shootin. Off to the gun store I go. Thanks again, Mike
Old 03-28-2008, 06:22 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Dang

Well, I tried this morning and the Savage was off it's game and I didn't have time to clean it so I gave my Marlin a try. I would keep 4 shots in a one hole (ragged) and then I would pull the 5th shot. It has a new trigger in it and I am still trying to get used to it. I will try again and hope for better luck then.

Darn, it is still just Rico who made it? Come on, can't someone else keep him company?

- Frank
Old 03-28-2008, 09:09 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
haha,

yea, guys it's getting lonely. need someone else to BS with.

FFrank, ive seen your groups on the SS/A forum, and know you can do it.
must be the weather, or the ammo, or?

with having to shoot only two groups, i think i just lucked out and the
almighty Kahuna was watching over me.

now you got me to thinking if i can do it again. most likely not. dont even
rem what ammo i used, lol, CCI tnt? but dont wanna push my luck, haha,

rico....

Old 03-28-2008, 09:21 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Smile

Thanks Rico, I hope to be with you in the esteemed .17 HMR group soon. It is frustrating that today we had fantastic shooting weather and I had to work. I was able to eek out 40 minutes of shooting this morning but I had to shoot a USBR target for the bench matches as well so I was distracted. Darn, I can't wait until I am retired and can enjoy more time on the range.
I can tell that with so much time passing where you are the only one how good you really did. Congrats. I am surprised Vincent doesn't have a .17 HMR to shoot to give you company up there.

- Frank
Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
well, take a look at the "ulti" forum and the 3/8" game @ 50 yds using
a semi. pretty impressive for a semi,

then again, the SS/A has the 1/8" game @25 yds using factory "sporters"
all do-able, tho' a bit "tuff", and is a challenge,

rico....

Old 03-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm enjoying this. I will give credit to all the BSers though, no cheaters.
-4* last night and a whopping +16 now. Frozen ammo asap again. Hey, how about 32* or under club?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:00 PM
17remfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went to the range this morning with my Cz Varmint .17HMR. Since I was shooting at 50 yards, anyway,I wanted to see if I was in the ballpark of this .300" contest. Im not there yet.I had some shots stacking up well but got some spread here and there .Ill need good weather on my side and even then ,it wont be easy . It was 31 degrees and windy.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weather here has been well below decent. It's nice to see some of you rascals are able to get out there and burn some powder and poke holes. Some us us have to work for a living, too.

The few decent weather days we had were during my work days.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:11 PM
APEXDUCK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Too many family things happening this weekend to get the range on Saturday then Sunday rain all day long (we need it). Hope to get out on Tuesday or Wednesday to give it another try. I know my last attempt was almost there and all the failures were due to me and not the gun or the ammo. Used both Hornady and Remington ammo (17 grain) and produced several groups in the .35 to .38 range with all the flyers due to me and my rear bag set up. I did see an improvement after cleaning the bore and firing about 10 shots. May need to find the sweet spot for cleaning my 452 American in 17 to get the best possible groups.

APEXDUCK
Old 03-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
mchughcb - you gotta put the Foster's down mate. You go out and shoot 0.41" group in a 30mph wind and the HMR is not good enough???

A 10mph direct cross wind can move a 40gr .22 bullet 1/2". The tiny HMR about the same distance because of it's reduced flight time... so you shoot smaller than that in 3 times that wind and something is wrong??

Well you are right about that. Something is wrong. Conditions are wrong. NOBODY can shoot exceptional groups in poor conditions. You have too much wind. I have too little time. I haven't been involved in the thread only because I haven't even been to the range in probably 2 months... It is definitely doable. BUT... conditions - including the shooter - have to be right.

Go try it again when the wind dies down and then let us know what happens.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Apex - you had posted while I was writing. Absolutely you have to find a sweet spot with the cleaning! Like any other rimfire, the barrel has to be fouled to avoid fliers.

Your gun will tell you where this spot is, only ONE stray bullet opens up a .300 group to .477. Of course everything has to be just right... the gun - bore, trigger, torque value... everything. The shooter and the outside conditions too.