Marlin Bolt Action Trigger Modification Reference - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Hunterb4

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hello guys. I had heard about the trigger mod on another forum and came here to get the details. I have done the mod and used 2 diff springs now but after the first shot I can't get the safety to engage. Here are a cpl of pics of what I am experiencing. I am no gun pro by any means but it's obvious something is causing parts to jump out of alignment.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk now Free
Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM
kcb38

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
^^^ I had a similar issue as the poster above. If you're going to do this spring swap, you have to be sure that the trigger moves freely. If it binds, the light spring will not be strong enough to reset it properly. I had to do some sanding and polishing on the slot the trigger rides in and to the sides of the trigger itself to get it to work properly. Just be careful not to remove so much material that there is side play in the trigger.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:28 AM
EricNDottie
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to EricNDottie
I actually did a trigger job on my marlin 917v with the T-900 before I joined the RFC. And before reading all the blogs. I did not use a ballpoint pin spring. The pull weight was 6-7 pounds I got it down 1bls 12oz.with positive engagement of the safety to trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 08:22 PM
skinz0021

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My trigger on my 880SQ was ok, but i decided to try this. I used the spring from a Bic Clic Stic. Had to cut about 1/3 off to keep it the same length. Very similar Od but much lighter spring. Trigger has no slack and it is lighter. Only thing i have noticed so far is the firing pin does not always reset unless you fully cycle the bolt. Everything else seems GTG!!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:46 AM
mrpike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
marlin model 81-DL

Will the above information work on lightening the trigger on my model 81 and 81-DL?

Thanks for the help

Derrick
I've been shooting mine since I was 7yrs old (64 yrs now):-))) still one of the most accurate gofer 22's I've owned.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:49 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trigger spring question? I have a '74 783 with the gold trigger. I've disassembled the trigger and measured the stock spring at .120" diameter and .660" long. I've disassembled several pens and mechanical pencils and they all have a .160" diameter spring that won't fit in the trigger's spring pocket. Has anyone determined a source for a .120-.125" diameter spring that will work with these older gold trigger guns?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:41 AM
LRJ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CamP Try the spring in the pump spray bottle of Vickes Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant nasal spray (Orange box) It measures .120 dia x .818 long It will fit in the trigger spring pocket like a valve core spring but is long enough to work The Vickes Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant is the only nasal spray I have found that has that size spring

Last edited by LRJ; 01-12-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:51 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:06 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRJ View Post
CamP Try the spring in the pump spray bottle of Vickes Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant nasal spray (Orange box) It measures .120 dia x .818 long It will fit in the trigger spring pocket like a valve core spring but is long enough to work The Vickes Sinex 12 Hour Decongestant is the only nasal spray I have found that has that size spring
LRJ, thanks again for the tip. I just installed the Vicks spring and it fit the gold trigger perfectly. It is noticeably improved, but it's still a little on the heavy side. If I was guessing, it's gone from about 6lbs to 4lbs. I haven't done any polishing or messed with the sear spring. I just want to make one change at a time until I find the sweet spot.

Hopefully the groups will tighten a little with the lighter trigger. This morning it shot 1.5-2.0" groups @ 100 yards with the heavy stock trigger, but it takes a lot of concentration. I also have some different ammo that shoots tighter groups in my other rifles, but I'm working with my cheaper stuff right now. I'm excited to try it out, but tomorrow is supposed to be windy so I may have to wait for better conditions.

Last edited by CamP; 01-12-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:30 PM
LRJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CamP I'm glad it worked. I installed the Vicks spring in my 25MN. It also improved the trigger but I do not have a gauge to measure by. I have not shot any groups with the 25MN to check for improvement in accuracy
Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used the valve core spring in my G25 rebuild a few years ago. Worked great with a bit of polishing & lube it is very smooth and consistent around 2#. Huge improvement over stock.
You want the LONG valve core not the short ones.
Spring is SS, so no rust either.

Go here and skip down to post #7 to see trigger pix. :

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=388523

Cheers
Bob
Old 01-12-2016, 11:36 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4BVM View Post
I used the valve core spring in my G25 rebuild a few years ago. Worked great with a bit of polishing & lube it is very smooth and consistent around 2#. Huge improvement over stock.
You want the LONG valve core not the short ones.
Spring is SS, so no rust either.

Go here and skip down to post #7 to see trigger pix. :

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=388523

Cheers
Bob
Wow, that custom job really turned out great! I would never have the patience to build something like that from scratch.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:50 PM
thezen
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the old style trigger in my Model 25. 1971 gun. With a pin, no screw for trigger. First a tip, to get the pin out, just spray with liquid wrench, let sit for five minutes, and then use vise grips to simply pull it out. Just give it a little twist, and then pull.

Second, I too found out that all the springs mentioned didn't fit, and found a lighter flint spring that did. The diameter is a little smaller though. I originally cut a couple of links off the original, but when I replaced it, it was much shorter than it was before I cut the links, and stretched it, and after just a few pulls it was bent too. Which brings me to my question.

How have these different springs for the old style, like the bic lighter spring and the valve core held up, and for how long? Has anyone checked them after say 1K rounds.

Also, does anyone know of an aftermarket spring for the old style? That doesn't cost $22 bucks with shipping. I guess I'll order a factory spring from Brownell's, just to have, in case. Shipping is twice the cost, so I'll wait until I need a few other things too.

Thanks.

Oh, the flint spring brought the pull down to just over two pounds, from about six. The spring is from a cheap lighter I had, a zippo knockoff.

I had no luck, after visiting several auto parts stores, in finding a long valve core. And the Bic lighter I destroyed, the spring was almost identical to the Zippo clone spring, maybe even thinner. I'd like to find one about the same diameter as the original. The only springs I've found that fit my old Model 25 are either too big, or too small. The Bic spring is about 20% smaller.

Last edited by thezen; 05-21-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:16 PM
thezen
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRJ View Post
It's a squeeze bottle now.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:22 PM
22nut1971

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will these mods work on the old model 80? I think mine was made after 1960 but still before serial numbers were required. It has the gold trigger and the white strip on the butt stock and the hand grip but no serial #.