Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 PM
exdetsgt
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I just ordered (from Natchez) a BSA 6-18x40AO 22 Rifle scope for my 452 Trainer. First, I hope this scope is in the ball park of what I should be using for bench rest target shooting, and secondly, I hope it's right for 50-150 yard shooting.

I looked at the ring section but this particular scope wasn't listed so I could sure use some advice on what rings to buy.

Ted
Old 03-11-2011, 08:55 AM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exdetsgt View Post
I just ordered (from Natchez) a BSA 6-18x40AO 22 Rifle scope for my 452 Trainer. First, I hope this scope is in the ball park of what I should be using for bench rest target shooting, and secondly, I hope it's right for 50-150 yard shooting.

I looked at the ring section but this particular scope wasn't listed so I could sure use some advice on what rings to buy.

Ted
Mounting a scope on the CZ Trainer is a bit tricky.

1. Do you know how to remove the rear sight blade? It is explained in the CZ manual. This might give up an extra .1 to .2 inch of clearance.

The problem with the Trainer is the rear sight and the location of the scope bell relative to the rear sight. Other issues are gun balance, as a tall mounted scope tends to throw off gun balance. There is also issue of cheek weld, and scope/eyeball line of sight! The Trainer stock was designed to give best cheek/LOS view with low mounted iron sights, not scopes. As such, I strongly suggest buying some cheek riser pads to raise your eyeball level up to the scopes optical axis.

There are three possible cases that can occur, depending on length of scope.

a. Scope is small enough to sit behind rear sight. In general this means scope length must be 12 inches or less, but the eye relief also factor in scope placement, so sometimes the scope length must be less than 11 inches.

b. Scopes bell sits right on the rear sight. This probably occurs for the vast majority of scopes in the 12 to 16 inch range. In this case, a tall ring is need to allow scope bell to clear rear sight.

c. Scope is long enough that scope bell completely clears rear sight completely. In this case, scope is probably 18 inches or longer.

Sorry, but unless someone owns exactly your scope, you are going to have to carefully measure your scope's length, taking into account bell clearance relative to rear sight. Even with rear blade removed, the rear sight appears to extend about 3mm above the receiver top.

There is an easier method, assume you need to clear the rear site, and assume it is 3mm. Use method shown in this thread to calculate ring heigh, and then add an additional 3mm to that value to clear rear sight. WARNING: please do not assume that the value of 3mm is accurate. This is a rough eyeball measurement on my part. DO YOUR OWN VERIFICATION and measure it yourself carefully!!

Last edited by MGT; 03-11-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 AM
exdetsgt
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, MGT. I did not know the 452 Trainer was designed primarily for use with iron sights. Two weeks ago my left eye was Laser repaired and I now have 20-20 vision (corrected with glasses), so maybe I don't need a scope after all. When I wrote that I had ordered the BSA they were actually out of stock at Natchez; the order is in a "wish list" category with notification to follow restocking, so I'm not committed to buying it.

When I last shot the Trainer three weeks ago I didn't realize I had a vision problem until the next day, when I failed to qualify during a routine Arizona Rangers qualification because I couldn't see the front sight on my Glock 21.
Shot a 49; I usually shoot 90-93.

I had no idea there were so many problems inherent in scoping a Trainer.

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM
andymitty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This was very helpful but I had to go searching to find it. Definitely needs to be stickied!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 AM
ssmith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent write-up Sophia!! This should be a "sticky".
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
Thanks.

It has been stickied in the CZ forum, and you can get to it (and other goodies) anytime by clicking on the icon in my signature line.

Last edited by Sophia; 08-14-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 PM
22busy
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm new to the forum and to shooting. This was exactly what I was looking for as I get ready to set up a new CZ and scope for target shooting. Great post!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 PM
usmcchet9296
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to usmcchet9296 Send a message via MSN to usmcchet9296 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcchet9296
Great post Sophia
Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 AM
JOHNGUM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 TD mounting??

I have a blackstock ssbbl with a friend's Counterpoint 3-9 x32 scope. Works great BUT- does not fit in Ruger bag. Rings are to nearly ear of receiver, rings are centered on scope. Need about two inches further back to allow bag to close.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 PM
JEE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (66)
Even if you could bring the scope back, how would that affect your shooting position?... would you still have a full view through the scope and be comfortable?

They do make extended rings, but you might end up with whiplash if the scope is back too far. A new rifle bag that's more suitable for a scope would probably be cheaper than extended rings and you could just save the Ruger bag for a future rifle.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:29 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those 3 pages probably covered it BUT--

1- make sure the turrets (adjustments) are on the RIGHT and TOP of the mounted scope...or you will never get it sighted in.

2- NEVER turn and scope ring using the scope as the 'turner'. That just puts strain/torsion on a fragile tube w/ very fragile lenses at each end.

3- Scope ring screws dont have to be that tight- They are NOT lug nuts on your truck.

4- clean all screws and holes in both rings/mounts and rifle w/ alcohol. Dry and then mount scope. Locktite aint necessary. A little drop of fingernail polish on each screw helps a lot. A little dab of rubber cement in the bottom of the scope ring keeps the scope from sliding. Probably WAY overkill.

Great job, Sophia. Our grand daughter is Sophia.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowerma View Post
Before I finished reading the posts I was thinking this should be a "Sticky"

I have been shooting (for fun and food) for more than 50 years and that is the best bunch of information on scopes I have ever read..

Thank you Sophia!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
She never wrote up anything that nice for me. If she does a sticky for you guys would y'all let me read it too? Please?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
She never wrote up anything that nice for me. If she does a sticky for you guys would y'all let me read it too? Please?
Oh, how quickly they forget!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:56 PM
Chas100
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
To sight in the scope, you want as stable a firing position as possible and, generally, fairly accurate (consistent) ammo. You want at least some kind of front rest. Set up a target about 25 yards out to get started. Ideally your target should have some vertical and horizontal lines on it; a grid pattern is perfect. Use a small level to make sure the lines on the target are level and plumb when you staple the target to its holder. Of course, you want to do that downrange; you don't staple the target and then carry it down range!

Now that you are sure your target lines are plumb and level, you can be sure your rifle is plumb and level when you line the crosshairs of your scope up on the grid lines. Among other things, this makes sure a "left" adjustment on your scope really moves things left, and not left and up, for example.

Get in a good firing position and take a shot at the intersection of two lines on the target. After the shot, get the scope lined up back where you had it aimed. Now, without moving the rifle, look through the scope as you move the crosshairs by using your adjustment knob. You want to move them from where they are to where the bullet actually hit.

Now shoot three or five shots at an intersection of lines. Find the center of this group of shots and, using the same technique as above, adjust your scope from your aiming point until it is centered at the center of the group you just fired.

Now move your target out to the range you want your scope sighted in and shoot a 3 shot group. Again, make sure your target is plumb and level and, again, adjust your crosshairs to the center of the group. By now you should be close enough that you're just fine tuning by figuring out how many clicks on the knob you need to move and doing it that way instead of steering the crosshairs while looking through the scope.

As for adjustments when moving the crosshairs while looking through the scope, if the shot went left of where you were aiming you move the adjuster towards "right;" the arrows on the scope are marked as though you are steering the bullet hole towards the aimpoint.

Good luck
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !! As I've said before this is BAR NONE the BEST Fire arm Forum PERIOD !!

And THANK YOU SO MUCH SOPHIA. YOU HAVE HELP ME OUT TREMENDOUSLY on my venture getting back into shooting

Thank You again and it's RFC members like yourself and a few others that make this the BEST FIRE ARM FORUM ON THE NET

CHAS
Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 PM
jclo3313
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great Stuff

Awesome info. I'm not quite as young as I used to be and I have started thinking about adding scopes to my rifles to help my less than perfect vision. I have always been an iron sights shooter and this is very helpful. Thanks