Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Wyflyer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
You might want to read this thread: Where are these scopes made?? ... interesting information.
However, I couldn't confirm the statement at the LEUPOLD website.
There are more specifics to this discussion. I suppose it could be considered accurate to say they are "made" in USA, if they are assembled in the USA using foreign made parts, however, if the parts are made in Indonesia then shipped here for assembly, to me it's "made in Indonesia" and "assembled in USA".
The reason European scopes are expensive is because the workers who build German scopes are paid in Euros rather than dollars. Ask the Leupold employee how many of his parts are made outside of the USA....
Old 11-09-2007, 02:53 PM
m21black

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Boycott as much slave labor made stuff from China as possible... AMERICA FIRST...
Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Blitzer0101

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunckchucker View Post
This is one of the conterfeits:

http://cgi.ebay.com/M3-3-5-10x40-Ill...QQcmdZViewItem

And for what it's worth, I don't see "Leupold" on it at all.

Chunckchucker
The item has been removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Blitzer0101

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now we have a valid reason to drop a glow worm on china!

Industrial infringements.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 PM
saltydecimator
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
k but does anyone know the actual quality of these products, particularly that eotech 551 clone? because they are like 10x cheaper................very tempting,b ut if they are junk, then its not worth it, and the gullible people are gonna keep buying them and keep them in business
Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gullible and AirSoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydecimator View Post
k but does anyone know the actual quality of these products, particularly that eotech 551 clone? .... and the gullible people are gonna keep buying them and keep them in business
I think that the major market for these replica products are the AirSoft buyers.

Another, is the replica (non-gun) gun buyers. They want to complete the look of their rifle with an optical accessory.

Quality is not the issue. It is how authentic they look.
And, for the most part the replicas do look the part.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Caveat Emptor: Sun Optics USA

Found this ad in;

GUN Digest the Magazine
04 Feb 2008, Page 85

The only thing that's USA is the address.
Googling the Phone Number (817) 447-9047:

Quote:
Min Fu
1312 S Briaroaks Rd
Cleburne, TEXAS
SUN Optics USA

Quote:
Our company offers high quality optical equipment for all different kinds of weapons....
13 Feb 2010: They're up and running ... poor site.
Very little information.

Last edited by aom22; 02-13-2010 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Resize Image
Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
e=mc2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
scopes

I did not know there were phony Leupolds or Eotechs out there. Thanks for the heads up! I agree with the previous post, if you are looking at Chinese scopes and think its a Leupold, shame on you!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:53 PM
panzerknacker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
anyone consider that these might be gray market items?
you see it in many other export items, in many cases a company's lower end product line simply comes out of a catalogue, leopuld or whoever simply makes a minimum order, silks thier logo and the shipment arrives in a few months. its simple to find low price "knockoffs" from someone elses product line, but the items might be rejects the the buyer refused for quality issues, the factory gotta make up its loss somehow...

but the real gray market items are the ones not accounted for in the final inventory or are made during the "third shift" these can be the exact same items that are manufactures using proprietary processes, materials, or patents. exept they take them and sell them under a differant name.

im sure you could gather a bunch of mid to mid upper range scopes and find some shocking similarities with a few cosmetic differences.

later
Old 10-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Criptonite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I actually bought two bushnell banner dusk & dawn (or whatever its called) 3-9x40 illuminated reticle scopes off of ebay for 80 bucks I think, and they both turned out to be counterfiet. Their supposedly red/green, and called up bushnell about it and they said turn one way its red other is green, and this one only has 11 powers of red. The product actually did ship out of bejing, china also. But, it still works fine on the .22's.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 PM
dan221081

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A lot of shooters at my gun club wont spend more than 100 on a scope and therefore they only tend to go with the cheaper end of the scope scale. When I turned up the other week with my 280 scope (and then had problems with it focusing at 25 yards) Their 80 ebay bought 6.5 - 24 x 50 scopes focused down to 10 yards up to infinity and gave a clearer sight picture. When I returned my scope, I purchased one see link below. It was clearly labelled as some random name (ESF IR SWAT Extreme Tactical Rifle Scope) and today it arrived and it is the same as the other guys have.

For 80 ($160) its a lot of scope for the money, so while if you are mislead into thinking you are buying something your not then all the comments on this thread are quite right however not all scopes and other equipment from Japan / China are rubbish, sometimes just sometimes you get more than you expect.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-XD-6-24x50-ESF-IR-SWAT-Extreme-Tactical-Rifle-Scope_W0QQitemZ110293346748QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m110293346748&_trkparms=72%3A1348|39%3A1|66%3A2|65 %3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Old 02-06-2009, 02:42 PM
bogeycentral

TPC Rating: 
80% (3)
I didn't know about counterfeit scopes out there until I read this thread. The precision at which they are able to knock things off is outstanding though. With golf clubs they are aiming at billion plus market and have gotten to the point where it is nearly impossible to tell. They are even having ones check out by calling in serial numbers. The best way to tell is performance or know the fine little details you wouldn't typically be looking for. Paint fill, placement of lettering, size of letting, font patterns, spacing between letters and finish color are just a few. I am sure there are a few roaming the net, and education is the best way to spot them. Buy from a reliable source if you have any doubt, or ask someone on this site, would probably be another great way to weed them out.

Lately in golf I have noticed that the counterfeit equipment are being prices reasonably close to legit equipment to get rid of the doubt on whether they are the real deal. Here is a really blatant one & I could see where someone would use it to make a quick buck on craigslist, internet forums or ebay.

www.dhgate.com
Old 01-21-2010, 05:08 AM
Backwoods
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Google Leupold wholesale, and see how many are offered for as cheap as $49!! (4X12 Mark4). They don't even look like the real Leupolds but they are marked as Leupold Mark4, I also seen a Leupold 45 power target scope on there for $300!! In their description they say they are made to Leupold specification
Old 02-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Backwoods
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
How about we make a law which requires all products to list country of origin as well. Maybe that would help, though I'm not sure the newbies would not know that Leupolds don't come from China - they are U.S. made.
I just bought one, and it is not marked as country of origin, but I bought it in Thailand, and guy tried to pass it off as real!! I got it for $50 USD!! It is marked Leupold MARK4, even has a serial# on it!! It is very clear, and will be put on an Airsoft Sniper rifle so all I can say is it was worth that price! You can buy a copy of anything in China town area of Bangkok, more tourists there than anyplace, so the copy bussines is good if you don't get caught! All the Bushnells at the market were marked as made in Japan, be we know they are comming from Korea,(Banner model).
Old 02-13-2010, 04:52 AM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
U.S. Made Does Not Require Country of Origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
I just bought one, and it is not marked as country of origin,
but I bought it in Thailand, and guy tried to pass it off as real!!
I believe of a product is domestically produced in the USA,
the country of origin marking is not required.