Bummed about my 922M - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:58 PM
handirifle
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bummed about my 922M

I finally got the chance to take it out to sight in today. Weather was perfect. Set the target at 50yds which is where I plan on making my Bobcat shots.

When I tested this at the gunshop, I fired 5 rounds of FMJ without a single hitch.

Today, the CCI FMJ rounds were the only ones that ejected fairly regular. Both boxes of rem's ,the 33gr Vmax and 40gr PSP were just about working on a single shot basis.

Now, one thing that MIGHT be an issue. When I bought the gun, the dealer couldn't find the magazine that came with the rifle, since they separate them for display. Seems some of our nicer citizens feel they have a right to take them.

He opened up a new Marlin magazine. It seemed to work fine there, but I did notice it seems to interfere a little with the forward motion of the bolt, and the empty case seemed to drag across the bullet of the next round in the magazine.

Could he have put in the wrong magazine? Seems like it locks into place a little too high up into the open bolt area.

How can I tell if it is the wrong one?

Oh, by the way, this thing is shooting a consistant 3/4" or less group at 50yds. I'm VERY pleased with accuracy, but this ejection issue is REALLY frustrating.

Would Marlin still carry the mags for them?

Mine says "Marlin" on the bottom and says "5 rounds"
Old 02-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Vicious-Peanut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin never made a 5 round magnum magazine. They made a 4 and 7, so I dont know what he could have given you?
Old 02-25-2007, 12:39 AM
handirifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I looked at it again, it DOESN'T say marlin, I was mistaken, but it does say "use only on Marlin 922M" and it IS a 5 round, so it must be an aftermarket.

Would this still be available from Marlin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2007, 12:49 AM
handirifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
By the way, found this on the Marlin web site

5-Shot Nickel-Plated clip

For Marlin Model 922M. (Nickel-plated clip with blue floor plate.)

Part # 716849 Quantity:

Price:$13.85

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the same clip I have, at least it looks like it. I don't think Mine is a Marlin, cause some colors are different, but not sure

From the other 922M owners, does your fired cases seem to drag across the bullet of the next case in the magazine as it ejects? Not sure if the ejector is worn or the next round is causing too much drag.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:58 AM
toivo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yes, I had one of those with my 922M. I'm pretty sure it's a Marlin part. I have heard that they adapted them from the original 7-round because there were jamming problems with the last two rounds.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:12 PM
handirifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do any current or previous 922M owners have any input in this failure to eject issue?

Did the spent casings seem to drag slightly over the nose of the next round in the magazine? The empty case comes about halfway out of the chamber and stops. If the magazine is empty the bolt locks open and the case is just sticking halfway out of the chamber, if there are more rounds, the bolt cycles back and closes on the empty case.

I'm gonna take it back to the dealer and if he can fix it fine, if not I'll see if I can put the money towards a Savage 93GL.

I was really excited about the semi auto but NOT with these kind of issues.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:27 PM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I didn't have my 922M very long--it was fun to shoot, but I decided I didn't need a .22 magnum. But while I had it, I didn't have any of those problems. This might sound kind of crazy, but have you tried pulling the mag out just a touch after you lock it in place? It's possible that one of the stops is bent, either on the mag or the mag well, and is letting the mag move too far into the well.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:47 PM
handirifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That doesn't sound crazy at all, as a matter of fact I did that to see what happened and sometimes it worked, sometimes not. That's more than I want to have to do. To me it should snap into place, and function as designed.

I'd hate to pull it out to make it work and accidentally push it back in and have it jam AGAIN!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:41 PM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You're right--I was just thinking of a way you could use it until you get it fixed once and for all. If it worked that way, at least you'd know that the problem was the way the magazine is seating.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:26 PM
handirifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suspect that may be the issue anyway, since on occasion the bolt would also hit the back of the magazine.

Got me thinking. I might take a look tomorrow AM and see what I can do first.

What should I look for? What stops the Mag from going in too far?

Funny thing is when I first looked at this rifle, they gave me 5 rounds and I went into their basement range. It worked flawlessly, but now this???

Wonder if something got bumped at the shop during my 10 day wait.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:08 PM
handirifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well, took it back to the shop today, they're gonna try another magazine first before seeing if the rifle needs tweaked. Hope not cause it sure was accurate. I like the weight and feel. I was busting clay pigeons offhand at about 50yds pretty regular with it.

I WANT MY RIFLE!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Chunckchucker
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Marlin originally shipped these rifles with a 7 round magazine, but because of feeding problems, the mags were fitted with a small matal block in the bottom of the magazine to keep capacity to 5 rounds. Nobody but Marlin ever made magazines for this rifle, so the mag you have is original. I would try another magazine before getting rid of the rifle, as I am positive this has to be the problem. Also be sure to keep the chamber clean, as the chamber is engraved with striations to retard the bolt from opening too fast and rupturing a case, and must be kept clean to work properly. Mine is very accurate and feeds everything but CCI very well. It hates anything CCI!

Chunckchucker
Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 PM
handirifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The mag he used was an aftermarket model, but I did notice it seemed long for a 5 shot mag. They were going to try another mag first then tweek the rifle if necessary.

I'd really rather keep this rifle, than get a savage bolt, but only if the extraction issues go away.

I want this rifle to hunt Bobcat, and a few other things, and a fast followup is what I had in mind.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Kiwi Vince

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
See if the shop will try your mag in another rifle, assuming they have another one in shop.

Use same ammo as you used.

If it does that in another rifle its your mag and it should be fairly simple to get another mag.

If there is another 922M in shop have a look at the magazine well and latch.

I am unfamiliar with the construction of the 922M but with the Marlin bolt guns the latch and magazine well are 1 unit that can easily be swapped. That would eliminate the possibility of the latch that holds the magazine being wrong.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Chunckchucker
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
The Marlin 922M has absolutely no parts interchangeability with any of Marlins bolt guns. The trigger/magazine well unit is a one piece plastic unit that is pretty complex. You might take the unit out of the rifle and insert a magazine to see if it is "clicking" into place. If it doesn't, then you might be missing the small detent that clicks into place on the right side of the magazine(small slot in side of magazine).

Also, believe me when I tell you that magazine was factory. I have several with my 922 that have no markings whatsoever, and came from Marlin that way New in package. Nobody, and I mean nobody made mags for this rifle except Marlin. I did have several that had to have the feed "lip" on the front edge of the magazine filed with a small round file so they would feed correctly. They came with a small burr on the inside edge that would catch any ejected shell or any shell being stripped from the magazine. 10 seconds with a small round file fixed each one.

Chunckchucker