Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:35 PM
seedguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
firing pin problems

I have a ruger 22 mag that I put a 17 barrel on.. I guns action has never been consistant missfires a lot ......took it back to dealer they have tried with no luck....the firing pin hits on the veryedge of bullet. Wher can Isend to get fixed or can my work bench solve the prob, web help ???
Old 02-06-2007, 06:58 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Power Custom makes a firing pin like ruger should have on all their magnums,

At the bottom you will see what the firing pin should look like, and the one with the point tip that causes problems, I have posted this several times, I wish it would become a sticky.. maybe one day we can get a sticky in the magnum section for the common questions, if we can round eveyrthing up.

Link to the firing pin from a great sponsor http://www.hawktecharms.com/ruger/10-22mag.htm

PC 10/22 Magnum A-2 Steel Firing Pin

Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 PM
seedguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you thank you .... This has been most fructrating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Phlytyer
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to Phlytyer
Thumbs up Pin that bolt...

"...the firing pin hits on the very edge of bullet" (ASSUMPTION= you mean the edge of the rim)

You might look at the thread on Bolt Pinning in the Tips and Tricks section. That should hold the firing pin in the correct position and illiminate striking the very edge of the rim.

Last edited by Phlytyer; 07-13-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:13 PM
22MagGuy48

Bolt Pinning

I went to the link provided for Bolt Pinning.......but there's "nothing" there. Does anybody have any links or information on Bolt Pinning??? THANKS.

Also...anybody have any experience with the install and then perfomance of the Power Custom Firing Pin for the Ruger 10/22 Magnum??
Old 07-13-2009, 06:40 PM
mrfixit77

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try [URL="http://www.ct-precision.com
I got the power custom firing pin, but didn't help my misfires, ended up being head spacing CPC says they make them .049 mine was .056 shoots great now!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Milton1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sent my bolt to CPC for a rework...headspace, pinning etc. Problems solved ... and the jeweled bolt looks kinda cool.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 AM
WYRPLR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Light firing pin strikes and ejection issues

I just fixed two problems on my new to me Magnum. It was not firing one shot out of every clip and would not always pull an unfired round out of the chamber. You could see that the firing pin was not striking hard enough. The head space was O/K so I flipped the gun over and looked inside the action with the clip out. While sliding the bolt back and forth I could see the ejector was being pushed away from the rim as it enters the barrel(just before the bolt is completely closed). So I guessed the bolt may be being held back a bit createing eccesive head space. I took my dremmel and ground a little off the nose of the ejector and it solved both problems. The ejector hangs on to the rim now and the bolt closes all the way. The dent in the rim is a lot deaper now. Dirt in that resess would probably cause the same problem.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 AM
rokehe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Those rifles are junk and will never shoot accurately or reliably! Sell it to me immediately! LOL Send the bolt to QUE. If its a dual extractor model, remove the inboard extractor and if all else fails, sell me the rifle!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 AM
rokehe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
I currently have two, And both are a pleasure to own!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM
WYRPLR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stock question

I don't think I will be letting it go any time soon! I'm thinking of customizing it allready. I would like to get a new barrel and stock. I have been looking at Stockys classic stocks in walnut but don't see a listing for the magnum. Does the standard 10/22 and magnum fit the same stocks?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A standard 10/22 and the magnum use different stocks, they are not interchangeable.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Magnum22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello, sorry to revive an old thread, but my inquiry is directly related to this. I am a brand new owner of a new (to me) Magnum Research MLR in 22wmr. This gun has been shot quite a bit, but still has plenty of life left. The single problem that I am having is FTF at a rate of at least 1 round per magazine of 9. These are never noticeably "lighter" strikes and all FTF have fired the second time I loaded them. I haven't done any tear down or deep cleaning and have seen that this can sometimes fix the problem. My question is regarding the stock MLR bolt design. Does it come with the firing pin like the Ruger models were equipped with or does it come with the better design, since it is marketed as a "factory upgraded" model? I don't particularly want to send the bolt off to have it pinned and absolutely don't regard myself as competent enough to pin it myself. Any guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-17-2018, 08:26 AM
Magnum22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wanted to follow up after my first attempt at fixing my light strike/FTF issues. I ordered a Select Fire Firing Pin and FP Return Spring late last week. Received and installed said parts on Monday, giving the rifle a good deep cleaning as I went. Upon comparing the stock firing pin and the select fire product, it is apparent that Magnum Research does indeed use the "stock" ruger style firing pin. The front half (business end) of the select fire product was approximately 1/16" longer than the front half of the stock version. The first two photos are of my stock firing pin after removal. Note the "rubbed" section on both sides of the front. These areas are almost perfectly symmetrical and likely mean that movement was at least somewhat restricted. The next photo is of an old spent casing (middle) with two spent casings from trial firing yesterday (on the sides). It is easy to see that the longer firing pin and better range of motion are creating much better contact with a chambered round. I still have a Power Custom Heavy Hammer Spring on order, but I'm not entirely sure that it is even needed at this point! I went from 10-20% FTF per magazine of 9, to firing through 25+ rounds flawlessly. Would highly recommend a firing pin replacement with select fire products if you are having similar issues with FTF!

Update: I have now fired well over 250 rounds with no single instance of FTF! It seems that the Select Fire Firing pin really did the trick!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181016_103010_1539779096876.jpg (394.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20181016_103004_1539779131254.jpg (317.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20181016_182214_1539779154619.jpg (241.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Magnum22; 02-04-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Update