Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:37 AM
varmintgetter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to varmintgetter Send a message via Yahoo to varmintgetter
GS hunting, HM2 75% of HMR

Well, finally did some hunting with the HM2...bottomline is that I won't be getting rid of my HMRs anytime soon...it is still a more effective killing than the HM2 round and is easier to take the GS here in Ca.

HMR just bucked the wind less, had bigger point blank range and thus IMO more accurate in the field.

My HM2 conversion would be a great "guide" gun where I would be taking some people to shoot, holding some stuff while lugging a lightweight rifle.

My HMRs will just plain outshoot the HM2 in the open field.

I was having trouble with the close shots with the HM2 for some reason and had no problem connecting 80-120 yarders..where the HMR rifles would just hold exactly at the crosshairs at almost any range and is effective. Didn't know 500 fps would make that much of a difference.

The HM2 did gut them pretty well if the shots were kinda close to HMRs.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Shred

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Many of those Comparisons could be used between the HM2 and the .22 long rifle as well, Which is why the Hm2 is now my favorite hunting round

The Hmr is perfect for small varmints that wont be eaten but too destructive for hunting small game animals ,This is where the HM2 steps in.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:33 AM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
I own both calibers and dont intend on getting rid of either one. Comparing the HMR and the HM2 is like comparing a screwdriver to a monkey wrench.
Both are good tools designed for two different purposes.
Reb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Pecci

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I totally agree with the 2 posts above. If you can compare the HMR with the HM2, then you can compare the HMR with the .223. We have every right to prefer one or the other, but shooters must realize that we all have different purposes and hunting applications. Thank God for the great choices we do have.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:21 PM
robbor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
100 fps is considered to be a significant differance, but 500 thats like night and day. The hmr was the clear winner before anyone ever shot a HM2. Its like comparing a hornet to a 22-250. I personally cant see why anyone would want to buy a HM2 when they can have the HMR for basically the same cost of shooting.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:01 PM
LEN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hmmm the same cost Naaaaa!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbor
100 fps is considered to be a significant differance, but 500 thats like night and day. The hmr was the clear winner before anyone ever shot a HM2. Its like comparing a hornet to a 22-250. I personally cant see why anyone would want to buy a HM2 when they can have the HMR for basically the same cost of shooting.

$3.00 a box is a BIG difference in cost of shooting. Shooting 1500 rounds in a week is $90. I own and use both, short range 22, short medium 17M2, medium long 17HMR, long range CF.

LEN
Old 06-05-2006, 04:03 PM
whittaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
THe same cost of shooting? Where can one purchase HMR's for $3.99 to $5.49 for a box of 50?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:12 PM
slayer6
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cost is another relative term

For those that shoot 1500 rounds a month yep big difference.
For those of us that may get 3 shots at a ground hog a week end really does not matter either way. HMR is nice because its quieter that a 22-250.
Thats why they make so many guns (besides to drive our wives nuts) so may different applications!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Bill Blackmore
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Len

I use the four caliber as you do. Usually starting with the 22 pistol.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:35 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
"I personally cant see why anyone would want to buy a HM2 when they can have the HMR for basically the same cost of shooting."

Because it is the best tree squirrel round ever invented! Period. There is also a large difference in the price per box of HM2 and HMR.
Reb

Last edited by reb henderson; 06-05-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:36 PM
steinie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb henderson
I own both calibers and dont intend on getting rid of either one. Comparing the HMR and the HM2 is like comparing a screwdriver to a monkey wrench.
Reb

I have both, but shoot 17HM2 at least 4 or 5 to one over the 17HMR.

17HM2 is a great all-around huntin' round for me, whereas the 17HMR has become more of a niche round for varmints and stuff that I don't intend to eat.

Love 'em both, but they have definate different purposes in my battery as well.

Last edited by steinie; 06-05-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:11 PM
TOU

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbor
100 fps is considered to be a significant difference, but 500 thats like night and day. The hmr was the clear winner before anyone ever shot a HM2. Its like comparing a hornet to a 22-250. I personally cant see why anyone would want to buy a HM2 when they can have the HMR for basically the same cost of shooting.
What I am starting to think though is..."I want one of everything;" and on that note "why wouldn't anyone want BOTH?"

No doubt about it...even though trajectory is 6's the first 125yds or so the HMR beats the Mach-2 in power, distance speed etc. I only have the HM2 right now...but I may eventually add an HMR for the fun of it. There really is a fair difference in cost though...I recently ordered a full case of Mach-2 for $4.09/50...that is total with tax & delivery. Seems kinda tough to beat for something that meets the same need and application 90% of the time. Seriously though, in the past when hunting gophers (Richardson Ground Squirrels) in Canada, I shot my 22 LR +90% of the time...my .223 7-8% of the time and my 22 WMR 2-3% of the time. I think the 22 LR will still get plenty of use, but less...and the .223 will most likely get side lined for 98% of this shooting.

On the HMR, while I am pretty impressed with them and even though I will most likely add one eventually, I think for me personally, because of ammo cost, the HMR for me will probably fit in the same niche as my WMR did. I guess for the most part, I would rather just grab my .223 for anything over what the Mach-2 or 22 LR will do. JMHO and it's a personal preference thing.

Last edited by TOU; 06-06-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:33 AM
varmintgetter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to varmintgetter Send a message via Yahoo to varmintgetter
Purpose I have the HM2 as I thought it was a great conversion round for the 10/22 and made it into a lightweight "guide" gun.

this is this past saturday's pic of the damage it does within reasonable distance...I was kinda mad as my sandwich was interrupted.

Last edited by varmintgetter; 06-06-2006 at 02:41 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:36 AM
Skeeter27red

TPC Rating: 
94% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb henderson
Reb
There ya go, it's simple= you need both. Inaccuracy is usually the shooter. The HM2 is much more sensitive to change, even how you hold your thumb from shot to shot will show. It is not possible for the HM2 to be inaccurate up close, but good at 80-120, it has to be on track to be good out there. It has about 6" of drop at 160, still well within "Minute of Ground Squirrel". The HMR is easier to shoot accurately, but it isn't as much more accurate as some say, Scotty (Watchthewind) has posted MANY groups under 1/2"@100 with his HM2. It's you, not the cartdidge.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 AM
steinie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter27red
There ya go, it's simple= you need both.
Yup, everyone needs at least one of each.