Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:57 PM
JeCulver
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
22 Revolver

I just picked up a 22 revlover with a SN# of 106XX.
It has a very small frame and a 2" barrel. What model# is it and what year?
Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
jamo5266

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
K-22 - New Find

Hello,
I am a new gun owner and have a k-22 that was my grandfather's gun. We thought it was lost, but found it in an attic recently. I must admit, as a new person to guns, most of these posts are over my head. Is there a place where I can enter my serial number to determine the approx. manufacture date of my gun? Any help would be awesome.
Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Hammer Down

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo5266 View Post
Hello,
I am a new gun owner and have a k-22 that was my grandfather's gun. We thought it was lost, but found it in an attic recently. I must admit, as a new person to guns, most of these posts are over my head. Is there a place where I can enter my serial number to determine the approx. manufacture date of my gun? Any help would be awesome.
Thanks

Hello Jamo
Congratulations Now, that is what I call a Real Attic Treasure. I have a bank of Serial Numbers that will show approximate dates of when your K-22 shipped.

You can list the guns serial number here or if you wish to keep it Private, simply PM me the complete serial number leaving the last Two Numbers with an X Prefix.

Depending on your K-22's Age there are several spots to get the guns serial number from. The easiest most accurate spot is not in the Guns cylinder crane area as most think, but Off The Bottom of the Grip frame of the revolver.

More than Likely the gun is wearing a set of smaller Magna style grips. If this is the case the serial number will show up when you look at the bottom of the grip frame and if it is a Post-War third series K-22 or later Dash series revolver the serial number will have a K-Prefix before it's actual serial number.

Please let me know if it has this K-Prefix before the serial number, because Prior to 1946 S&W did make the earlier K-22's and they did Not have the K-Prefix before the actual numbers. The reason I asked for you to look at the bottom of the grip frame for the Guns actual serial number rather than taking it from the Guns Cylinder crane area is simple.

Most that are not real familiar with S&W revolver's serial numbers often provide me with Bin Numbers or assembly Location Numbers which are also stamped into the Crane area on the Main frame area along with the Gun's actaul serial number. These Bin Location numbers or assembly Numbers are of Little use to consumers.

They were stamped with these to insure the right parts got back with the same revolver after the finish process was complete and before final fitting was done to the revolver, and this get's confusing when trying to figure the guns serial number out, or when it was made.

If the gun is wearing Larger Target style grips, they will have to be Pulled to see the serial number on the butt of the Grip Frame of the revolver. To do this, make certain you have a good fitting flat tipped screw driver and unscrew the grip's attachment screw until it feels like it has cleared the threads.

Do not remove it yet, as you will then use the same screw driver to apply pressure to the Head of the screw Pushing off the right grip panel in the process. Once the right grip panel has cleared it's Mounting Pins located in the Lower part of the revolver's grip frame, you can push off the Left Panel with your finger from through the Gun's main frame from the right Rear side of the Now Open Frame area.

This is a fool proof way to remove Tight fitting grip's that may or may not have been removed since it left the factory. S&W used to hand fit all their revolver grips and Often they can be very stubborn to remove without using this process.

I have seen guys in the past destroy a nice set of grips by trying to pry them off the guns frame and if you follow my directions it will allow their removal with No Damage. I hope this helps, and if you want a shipping Year just PM me the Guns serial number if you want to keep it Private. Hammerdown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 08:06 PM
jamo5266

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hammerdown,
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Next step is to get the gun a good professional cleaning and then give it a dance.
Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Hammer Down

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo5266 View Post
Hammerdown,
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Next step is to get the gun a good professional cleaning and then give it a dance.
Thanks again.

Hello Jamo
No problem, Glad I was able to help you Partner. I Guess my Thrill is not only in the ones I have collected over the Years, but to be able to Give something back to Other's for all those that helped me along the way. Let me know if you need anything alse I am just a PM away... Hammerdown
Old 07-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Brad Mugs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S&w 41

I'm trying to establish the date on my 41. It's not on the list so I was hoping I could ask here.

Serial # 71047 on the left side of frame
Cocked indicator pin
"P" stamped next to where the magazine is inserted (I know this stands for "PROOF" but what does that mean?)

It's not for sale but if you have an idea what it may be worth that would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 AM
shutdown

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I just got a 40,000 gun for $675 on Gun Broker, best deal I ever got on a handgun. I recently got a 91,000 for $945, but it had the extended front sight. The economy must be bad to have really premium smiths on the market. In a normal market I would have paid over $1K easy. Just guessing, it's a mid 60's gun. I don't know any companies that can equal the early M41's for fit,accuracy, or a real satin "blue". Both my early guns are blue, not black.

I was suprised to read Hammer Down referring to the Baughman sight and Magna grips. I haven't even read about that since the 70's. I had my A series modified to a Baughman because I always carry it in the field. I'm going to leave the two older guns bone stock, without the magazine spring, of course.

Shutdown
Old 01-05-2010, 02:19 PM
flatpicker38

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Serial # for model 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Mugs View Post
I'm trying to establish the date on my 41. It's not on the list so I was hoping I could ask here.

Serial # 71047 on the left side of frame
Cocked indicator pin
"P" stamped next to where the magazine is inserted (I know this stands for "PROOF" but what does that mean?)

It's not for sale but if you have an idea what it may be worth that would be great.

Thanks
My 41 is fairly new. I believe it was made in 1998. The serial # is UBN6903. It does not show on the old list. Thanks for any help!!
Tom.........
Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
shutdown

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Stumped..

I have three Model 41's, none of which are stamped with a "P". You might try Hammerdown. He has the most extensive collection of rare S&W's I have seen anywhere.

Shutdown
Old 04-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Steve H
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 63

My neighbor gave me a Model 63 4" SS s/n 87816. Can anyone give my the birth date?

THANKS MUCH

EDIT: The number on the butt is M105650, I just learned that is the correct s/n and the other number are "shop" numbers

Last edited by Steve H; 04-30-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:48 PM
shotgun-2
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
S&W Mod 51 questions

I have a few questions about my Mod 51 S&W 22MRF.
Looking for DOB and approx. value, Ser. number is (no letter prefix) 1123xx, it is a square butt with a 3 1/2" barrel in about 95-98% condition.

I also have a like new cylinder, ejector and swing frame from a mod 34 in 22lr, would it be cost effective to have that fit to gun as an interchangable cal. for lower cost shooting, or would I be better off selling this gun and getting a 22lr chambered one?

Thanks for any thoughts and info.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:53 PM
lpel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S&W Model 17 3

Today I purchased a K22 Model 17 3 from my brother in law. He had purchased for his father many years ago. It is in great shape and I am honoured to have gotten it.

I am wondering what year it was manufactured in. I have not been able to determine the date. B in law thinks about 1965.

Anyway Serial # is: R846663. Can anyone please help me? Thank you.

Last edited by lpel; 05-04-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: SP
Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 AM
brucegodlesky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My original inquiry concerned a First Model lemon squeezer in the 82xxx serial number range.
What would be the year of manufacture? Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:07 PM
BlackBat242

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Long time no action on this thread, but I'll give it a try.
I just bought a S&W .32 Long revolver - the tag said "model 30-1", but everything I've found so far indicates that a -1 should have a letter at the start of the serial.

My serial is 8253XX.

Any idea on actual model, frame, and year of manufacture?
Old 10-10-2019, 11:27 PM
BlackBat242

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK - I've sort of cleared this up.
It seems that I am in the S&W Paradox.

From my research, S&W had a habit of changing features/models/frames long before they ran out of parts for the previous iteration of a firearm... to the point where guns with the old details were leaving the factory as late as 2-3 years after the first of the new ones did! They would, however, mark them as the new model!

My pistol IS marked "Mod 30-1" on the frame under the cylinder hinge... which SHOULD mean that it is a J-frame, as the change from the I-frame was simultaneous with the application of the new model numbers. HOWEVER, it clearly IS an I-frame (cylinder window in the frame is too short to fit a .38 Special round), and lacks the J prefix of all J-frame serials (having a very high I-frame serial).

So, it seems mine is an I-frame (Model 1903 Hand Ejector Model 6th change), but which was completed and shipped after the J-frame Model 30/30-1 started shipping!