39 A date of birth - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2006, 12:49 PM
SCIBUL

Join Date: 
Oct 2005
Location: 
MERIGNAC
Posts: 
3
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
39 A date of birth



Log in to see fewer ads
Hello I'm a newbie on this exciting forum.
I just bought an old 39 A but I don't find his date of fabrication.
The serial number is P10040. If someone knows...
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-21-2006, 01:01 PM
jnyork's Avatar
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2004
Location: 
Wyoming and Arizona
Posts: 
7,505
TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Is that possibly an "r" instead of a "p" ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Jackz

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Posts: 
791
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SCIBUL..
I use this chart for Marlins. I think it's from their old forum..
http://www.lts.net/~aw/homepage/datingamarlin001.html

It looks like your's is a 1957.

Regars, Jack
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-21-2006, 01:50 PM
jnyork's Avatar
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2004
Location: 
Wyoming and Arizona
Posts: 
7,505
TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
That's a good chart, better than our present sticky which doesnt show the "p" prefix. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Jackz

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Posts: 
791
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin Dates of Manufacture

Admin 4..
To RFC.
This was a Marlin Date of manufacture list that was being constantly updated on the old Marlin Forum. As you can see, our dearly departed RFC member "Plinker Tom" was also involved with this list as well as the one here on RFC.

As you read it you will see some of the posts and banter as additional info was added!

Might I recommend this being used as a sticky to suppliment the present one. Out of respest to "Plinker Tom" I hesitate to use the word replace!

Regardless..Might I suggest that who ever reads this to make a copy of it!!

Regards, Jack

Marlin year of manufacture maybe determined from the following list of letter/numeral prefixes to the serial number:
1946-C
1947-D
1948-E
1949-F
1950-G
1951-H
1952-J
1953-K
1954-L
1955-M
1956-N
1957-P
1958-R
1959-S
1960-T
1961-U
1962-V
1963-W
1964-Y,-Z
1965-AA
1966-BB
1967-AC
1968-AD, -68
1969-69
1970-70
1971-71
1972-72
Starting in 1973, the year of manufacture maybe determined by subtracting the first two digits of the serial number from 100:
Example: SN 2512345 would have been made in 1975 [100 - 25 = 75].


:

Originally posted by tomdanl:
Marlin year of manufacture maybe determined from the following list of letter/numeral prefixes to the serial number:
1946-C
1947-D
1948-E
1949-F
1950-G
1951-H
1952-J
1953-K
1954-L
1955-M
1956-N
1957-P
1958-R
1959-S
1960-T
1961-U
1962-V
1963-W
1964-Y,-Z
1965-AA
1966-BB
1967-AC
1968-AD, -68
1969-69
1970-70
1971-71
1972-72
Starting in 1973, the year of manufacture maybe determined by subtracting the first two digits of the serial number from 100:
Example: SN 2512345 would have been made in 1975 [100 - 25 = 75].

Dali Llama say he understand and appreciate, but think many poster still ask related question.

yeah, probably so. maybe a couple of people will want to copy before it drops off the table...


Where the number is 00, 99, 98 or such, subtract from 2100 to get the year. ie: 2100-99=2001.
Willy

gunjunkie
unregistered posted 10-25-2002 10:51 PM

It's posted in the Hop TO section, under Marlin Talk How to. But know one goes there but me I think..Gunjunkie

marlinman93
Memberposted 10-25-2002 11:47 PM
According to Bill Brophy's book on Marlin history. There are a few corrections.
p-1957
r-1957-58
s-1958-59
u-1960(August)-1961
v-1961(August)-1962
ab-1966(not bb)

Hope this helps.
------------------
mm93
Marlin lever actions, 1870's-1950

plinker Tom
Member posted 10-26-2002 12:06 AM

Hey guys, don't forget about the "B" prefix for the 1940-1941 models. Also keep in mind that this letter(s) code really only applies to the 336 and 39 series lever action rifles prior to 1968. After 1968 all Marlins utilized the same dating prefix you have listed.
From 1962 thru 1968 Marlins rimfire rifles (other than the lever actions) used a two letter date code that was stamped on the barrel. This date code is different than the one already listed, as Marlin rimfire rifles (other than the model 39 series) did not have a serial numbers until required to by law after 1968. The first letter of the date code represented the month of manufacture while the second letter indicated the year. This date code was usually stamped on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver. The first letter of the date code is as follows:
A = Jan.
B = Feb.
C = Mar.
D = Apr.
E = May
F = June
G = July
H = Aug.
I = Sep.
J = Oct.
K = Nov.
L = Dec.
The second letter of the date code is as follows:
F = 1962
G = 1963
H = 1964
I = 1965
J = 1966
K = 1967
L = 1968
So a date code of "JK" would indicate that rifle was made in October of 1967. Hope this helps someone.
Tom

GraybushyBuster
Member posted 10-26-2002 12:13 AM
Ed Chabot should put this one in the archive!

Doc Sharptail
Member posted 10-26-2002 02:09 AM
Good data here. Plinker Tom Rocks! Didn't see it here,so I'll add the 1939 Model 39-A
with NO letter prefix- just numbers...
Regards,
Doc Sharptail

tomdanl
Memberposted 10-26-2002 09:11 AM
turned out more involved than I would have thought
Q1. are the letters all upper case? (the only Marlin I have right now is my old M80, which, of course, is uncoded)
2. so rimfire bolt actions are NOT date-coded in any way prior to '62?
3. should I assume that the 1939 code was "A"?
thanks, Tom
[This message has been edited by tomdanl (edited 10-26-2002).]
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2006, 02:58 PM
SCIBUL

Join Date: 
Oct 2005
Location: 
MERIGNAC
Posts: 
3
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks a lot gentlemens ! I'm fond of this gun. I'm gonna take it to the range soon to see how this 1957 beauty shoots ...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-28-2006, 12:59 PM
PowerStrokeAmG

Join Date: 
Feb 2006
Posts: 
5
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
question

Im in the market of buying a 17hmr. Which would be the best to get? I have a ruger 10/22 now but like i said would love a 17hmr. i have heard a lot about savage and marlin also ruger can someone help me out?

thanks,

andy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-28-2006, 11:20 PM
uncle joe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2006
Location: 
Marietta, Ga.
Posts: 
100
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hope it turns out as good as the 57 Chevy!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-2006, 01:39 AM
lucky001

Join Date: 
Jun 2004
Posts: 
177
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jack good to see your still at it. we have to get together once the weather breaks, fly me an e-mail.

best wishes to the mrs.

Lucky
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Huntinfool's Avatar
Huntinfool
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2006
Location: 
WV
Posts: 
1,248
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking Howdy

So according to what I just read above the 39A I'm looking at here has the serial number 15257574 was made in 1985 right?

Chuck
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-27-2006, 03:02 PM
kcobean

Join Date: 
Jul 2006
Posts: 
53
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just wanted to add to this....

I just wanted to contibute to this thread based on recent experience. There are some serial numbers out there that do not conform to any of the conventions mentioned above. I have a 39A with a serial number that is simply "640". Not sure if it's a first year rifle or not. I'm going to write in to the Marlin historian (per the Marlin Customer Service folks) and see what history they can give me on this gun. If I find out a definitive year of manufacture I'll post it here.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Jackz

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Posts: 
791
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
kcobean...
In the interim maybe you would like to wander over to the Marlin Collector's Association:
http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/index.php

You will have to give a COMPLETE description to whoever you contact as to barrel shape, length and ALL Markings in COMPLETE detail. Also any and all markings on any other metal parts. Note the top of the receiver...any D&T holes and do they go through any letters if they are there. Also the shape of the pistol grip and a description of the butt plate..Does it have the Marlin bullseye??
Pictures (Close up) are a HUGE benefit!!

I too have an "Odd" serial numbered Marlin 39A that I have been trying to track down..

Good luck!!
Regards, Jack
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-27-2006, 04:09 PM
kcobean

Join Date: 
Jul 2006
Posts: 
53
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackz
kcobean...
In the interim maybe you would like to wander over to the Marlin Collector's Association:
http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/index.php

You will have to give a COMPLETE description to whoever you contact as to barrel shape, length and ALL Markings in COMPLETE detail. Also any and all markings on any other metal parts. Note the top of the receiver...any D&T holes and do they go through any letters if they are there. Also the shape of the pistol grip and a description of the butt plate..Does it have the Marlin bullseye??
Pictures (Close up) are a HUGE benefit!!

I too have an "Odd" serial numbered Marlin 39A that I have been trying to track down..

Good luck!!
Regards, Jack

Not to wander too far OT, but here are a bunch of pictures of the rifle:

My Marlin
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Jackz

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Posts: 
791
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
kcobean..
Is it a 39 or a 39A??
One thing for sure is it is an EARLY one due to the "square" lever and the "S" shaped pistol grip!! The folks over at Marlin Collector's sure would like to see the pictures!! There are some great knowledgeable folks there!!
In my opinion you would get MUCH more info there than the Factory...Actually there are Marlin historians on that forum!! You should get more feedback that you ever hoped for!!

Do yourself a favor and go there!!

You have a great treasure there!! I think you have to be careful about the ammo in one of them and only use LOW velocity ammo..

Regards, Jack
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-27-2006, 10:18 PM
kcobean

Join Date: 
Jul 2006
Posts: 
53
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackz
kcobean..
Is it a 39 or a 39A??
One thing for sure is it is an EARLY one due to the "square" lever and the "S" shaped pistol grip!! The folks over at Marlin Collector's sure would like to see the pictures!! There are some great knowledgeable folks there!!
In my opinion you would get MUCH more info there than the Factory...Actually there are Marlin historians on that forum!! You should get more feedback that you ever hoped for!!

Do yourself a favor and go there!!

You have a great treasure there!! I think you have to be careful about the ammo in one of them and only use LOW velocity ammo..

Regards, Jack
Hi Jack! It's a 39A. Yep, I posted over at MCA, including links to the pictures. According to vepr762 here on RFC, all 39A rifles were built to take HS ammo, however I doubt I'll shoot much more than standard velocity ammo through it. I do most of my shooting at the NRA HQ here in VA.

Looking forward to what the guys at MCA have to say about it. I'm really excited to have this rifle, and hope to get to shoot it this weekend.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by kcobean; 11-27-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x