Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:32 PM
Torreyw91

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 121 questions

So my grandfather found a 121 in the woods when I was a kid it has lived in a barn since then my father has shot it a few times, recently I decided to restore it and bring it back to life as a project. After doing some research and looking on numrich’s site I’m still confused for the main issue that seems to be present other than cleaning.
When pumped the trigger doesn’t seem to engage meaning the hammer can be cocked back if the safety is on but when taken off the hammer falls nothing appears to be broken just wondering what the issue might be
Old 10-21-2019, 05:24 PM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First, welcome to the forum!
It sounds like you have a problem with the sear (top of the trigger) or the cocking notch at the base of the hammer. This could be due to several factors, but based on the rifle's history as you describe it, I'd guess it's because of rust and corrosion getting in the way. The safety is a simple cross-bolt type that blocks the trigger, and again based on your description, it appears that something is keeping the trigger from returning to its correct forward position unless the safety is engaged. Then, when the safety is pushed off, this allows the trigger to release immediately.
This shouldn't be a difficult item for a good gunsmith or skilled amateur to correct, but it takes a good deal of skill and patience to disassemble the firing mechanism and get it back together correctly.
First, you might try spraying a very small amount of penetrating oil in this area to hopefully dissolve some corrosion. Wait about 24 hours and try it again. Repeat if it doesn't help.
If this still doesn't cure it, you will likely need to take it to a good gunsmith.
Best of luck with it, it's a great rifle, and the connection with your grandpa makes it really priceless to you.