Barrel pictures of leade - Your Thoughts?? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:59 PM
dstoenner
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Barrel pictures of leade - Your Thoughts??

So I bought a used Lyman bore scope off of this forum. It has enlightened me as to the condition of my barrels. I have come to find out that Bright and shinny bore isn't so bright and shinny up close and personal.

So I had my 40X to the range to shoot some targets. When I got home I cleaned down to bare metal and polished the bore with JB BoreBrite. Before I put my coat of oil to the bore I pulled out the Lyman to look at the bore. Yes it has some pits but what bothers me is the leade. It shows up on all of the lands. It looks like the chambering tool drug the steel off as it was "cutting" the chamber and leade.

Up front, I clean my guns with Dewey coated cleaning rods. I use bronze bore brushes for my 22 with Montana Extreme rimfire blend. The patch rod has an aluminum jag.

Since I didn't have a bore scope to inspect it 10 years ago when I got the rifle, I don't know if they have always been there.

When I got the 40X it shot so great compared to a lot of other rifles I had. The last being a Kimber 82G. It still shoots pretty good but now I have a 1962 Anschutz 54 to compare it to and the Anschutz is slightly in the lead but not by much.

So to the collective wisdom of this group I ask:

1) is this defect something that I would rebarrel the rifle for?

2) Any idea what caused it? I would have thought if it was a steel rod it would have done this to both sides of the land symmetrical.

Thanks in Advance

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0015.JPG (33.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0016.JPG (31.7 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0018.JPG (31.5 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0019.JPG (32.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 10-20-2019, 06:10 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Welcome to the wonderful(?) world of seeing what you really have.....this is why I do not want to know.
I think your suspicion of reamer cause is correct.
Maybe if you shoot it enough you might wear those burrs off?
The bigger question is, can you ever be happy with that barrel from here on even though it shoots very well?
Old 10-20-2019, 08:09 PM
SBS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Very common in Rem. 40X rf barrels and other factory produced RF target rifles. Reamers cut crossways of the barrel lands and mechanical cutting is a shearing action that always leaves a burr at the end of the cut when the metal no longer has a backing support (meaning at the end of the cut). The burr can be larger if cut with too fast a feed speed for rpm or if the reamer is dull. You could probably have this barrel set back a couple of threads and rechambered carefully with a sharp reamer and reduce the size of the burr. Even the sharpest reamer and most careful machining will still produce a small burr as it lays over the last of the land's edge. This is what we are breaking in when we shoot a new barrel or perhaps mostly lap out before firing the barrel. Centerfire barrels have the same problem, but the much harder copper jackets and the larger volume of powder quickly remove the burrs. The rest of a premium barrel is already lapped smooth. If your rifle meets your needs I wouldn't bother with setting it back or replacing it unless you do your own work. As many rounds as it appears to have fired, the burrs are pretty smoothed down and the bullet is not engraved at this point -- the leade is only guiding the bullet to full rifling where it is engraved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 09:45 PM
arnie19
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
See this a lot and worse on some CZ rifles .I think its a dull cutter and too fast a feed .