The Watering Hole 10-21-2019 - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10-21-2019, 04:59 AM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2006
Location: 
Texas mostly
Posts: 
206
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)


Log in to see fewer ads
Slow catching up & the 'puter is even slower this AM. Having to go thru some deep scan stuff and rebooting from power failure earlier.
--

That's a fine looking 'hunt camp' your bud has, BW!
--

And 'Spencer' the cat looks and sounds like he will make a fine addition to the homestead, Brent.
--

Thanks for all the kind weather wishes. Its wet out, but no extra damage, that I am aware of at the moment.

Yesterday's run to Ft. Worth for the GS was good fun. Don arrived first, but we got hooked up after a bit and walked the entire thing. I'd told him that if I didn't buy anything else I was going to buy some new .410 phosphor bronze brushes. He was kidding me about them becoming rather expensive when one considers the parking & entry fees and distance/gas involved. I guess they were, at that. Don spotted an older Japan made Tasco World Class 3x9 w/scared tube, perfect glass and the turret covers on it. Asked the guy w/the table whot he wanted for it. He said $25. I asked him if he'd take $20. He did, so then I had that scope, two .410 brushes + a .32 cal. pistol brush and was $47 into the show. It was ten dollars to park & another ten to get in. We had a good time and we stopped and shot the bull here and there w/others offering a bit of knowledge from time to time and learning some things about some unusual guns & accoutrements. Got a good laugh from one guy who had made some whimsical cartoon kinda non-functional Flash Gordon weapons and thot of Cow's space guns immediately. There's more than one of you out there! And that brought up some pink DEWC's that Don makes so we all got a good laugh from that. Perhaps the 'best buy' we spotted was a full stocked Husqvarna bolt rifle w/sling swivels in 30'06 for $400. It made me hurt to think of shooting it, but was a rather cool pack rifle & I thot attractively priced. More a reflection of today's market more interested in black guns or AR/chassis-based things than traditional. You can see the effects in the pricing. Other rifle I saw that I thot was fairly priced was a model 54 Winchester in .270 for $350. It was an honest shooter in good shape. Before I connected w/Don I looked at an interesting novelty, a 340 Savage in .22 Hornet that had been fitted with either a Winchester or Remington bbl.! The poor old action had enough scope mount holes in it that you could have almost called it 'ported'. I didn't give a close examination, but thot it was interesting, like a beater automobile where one wonders about the owner's whims that brought it to that genuinely poor condition. Late in the show we came to a table w/a 26" bbl.'d early Ruger #1 in 22-250 w/a Lyman All American 10X fitted w/fine reticle. Guy was asking $900, but it had some visible external rust spots, so I passed. Not like I needed it anyway, but.. Answered some questions he had about an early Winchester imported TMS Perazzi single bbl. trap gun & a 3200 Remington. Both had been poorly ported and both were well worn & in need of major attention. Ended up buying a Lyman All American 6X scope w/fine reticle and w/the target or silhouette knobs & original caps from him for $150, which was his asking price. Don't see those scopes around much any more and I like them. The Tasco 3x9 will make a good 'truck gun' scope & I'm undecided where I'll use the Lyman. May have been able to buy it for less, but didn't try. Felt sorry for his dilemma w/the shotguns. Oh, and I bought two Weaver 'stretch covers' for the scopes for $2ea. on the way out.

It was 88° yesterday & felt like 90! Winds S 17 G 28! Topped up for $2.16/gal. on the way back, it had gone up two cents during the day! Drat. Get almost home to find one of the nearby major streets is blocked off in the N bound lane by a huge tree that had been blown over and squad cars and all of the usual ancillary stuff hard at it, rerouting traffic w/lights a blazing. Grilled some yard bird before the game started and then once inside & the sun set the skies lit up like a window display in every direction. Temp had dropped to 83 & winds shifted to E 17 G 30. We get notified there is a tornado on the ground less that a mile from us(!), its halftime, the cowbots are having a great night and that's when it went KA BOOM! & the lights went out. As it turned out, the power came back on w/some jitters a few times before becoming stable once more. Rain started & I got to watch the end of the game, augmented w/some decent brown whiskey. Can't recall a game w/that many take-away's, but its exactly whot Dallas needed to be doing. I still don't like the NFL refs worth a hoot.

Its been good fun having Don in town. Bride has a garden club meeting on Tuesday. I need to let Jack back in & towel him off. It should be a moderate week ahead.


Last edited by wookness; 10-21-2019 at 05:03 AM.
  #62  
Old 10-21-2019, 05:21 AM
Szumi's Avatar
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2011
Location: 
Between Hell and Paradise
Posts: 
1,110
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Always wondered about that place when I was camping near by. Thanks for the photo tour BW.
__________________

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
  #63  
Old 10-21-2019, 05:26 AM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2006
Location: 
Texas mostly
Posts: 
206
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M92pv4u View Post
"Ten years ago on a cold dark night someone was killed neith the town hall light... their were few at the scene but they all agree that the slayer that ran looked a lot like me"

So, whot are you reading? Sounds like some 18th century prose.. or at least something eerie.
--

Here, at midnight the winds had switched to W 17 G 30. Literally all over the map. We've gotten roughly an inch of rain from this storm, so far. Presently switching from N to NW @ <10 and 64 F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #64  
Old 10-21-2019, 05:59 AM
flyingsquirrel's Avatar
flyingsquirrel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2009
Location: 
Indiana
Posts: 
291
TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Sounds like the kind of place you could go to and spend a few years to unwind Blackwolfe. Everything looks great except the cookstove. If you cleaned that, he would give you a few months rent I bet. Good tour
  #65  
Old 10-21-2019, 06:56 AM
dbmjr1's Avatar
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Jan 2008
Location: 
Gun Shop, Range, or in my Ballistic Lab
Posts: 
1,016
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good Morning RFC'rs, et al:


And a very good morning indeed, now that I know that Wook has survived last nights storms with his domicile intact.
There were at least two tornados out his way before the frontal line of storms. Both were caught on camera. One crossed I-35, causing damage to occupied cars. Roofs were misplaced, with some acquiring roofs that they didn't really need, or want. One of the tornados crossed Love Field.
When the frontal line finally moved through here, it was proceeded by some impressive straight line winds in it's outflow boundary. They were reported to be in the 70 mph range. I know they were capable of making the little travel trailer I'm staying in rock a bit.
Once the storm passed, I slept like a rock.

This morning we are going to the Zoo. Then I promised WhataBurger and Chick Fil a to go. We'll bring it home to consume it.

Well, . . . , Y'all be good, . . . , or good at it.
__________________
Don



Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  #66  
Old 10-21-2019, 07:46 AM
gewehrfreund's Avatar
gewehrfreund is online now
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2003
Location: 
Here, and then gone
Posts: 
1,482
TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Good reports all around.


I almost had a fainting spell/CZ seizure myself when I logged on this AM and there had been no new posts on the CZ/Brno Forum!!!???


Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Heads up Wook.

Slaughterhouse Rulez
Schlachthaus Fünf!

Good book and movie. Where'd you find one that old?


Never mind. . . . . . different, non-Vonegut book/movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
This is the 5 bedroom log "Cabin" at camp. Didn't get any interior pictures of the interior at this time. Many of the windows have been replaced. Some of the interior rooms had very dark stained wood v grove paneling and wainscoting. Much have it has been replaced with white cedar with a clear finish. For the first time in twenty years there are now cabinet in the kitchen made from cedar that matches the cedar wainscoting and the new cedar interior doors. The white cedar really brightens the place up. Hardwood floors through out. The main living room has a big stone fireplace with log beams. This was the room that the former partner's wife papered with grape vines and grape bunches wall paper. There are both electric and propane gas lights in the house, and even the copper piping for the gas lights was papered.

Downstairs rooms were plastered. Upstairs rooms were sheathed in beaver board with dark wood trim on the joints that was most likely was not original. The "pink" room upstairs has tulip boarder stenciled at the top of the walls. Up stairs rooms will get the same cedar treatment as downstairs.

The screens for the screened in porch are copper or brass that was present when the camp was purchased.

The cabin can currently sleep 16 in beds. One large bedroom upstairs is a "bunk" room that houses one double bed and three sets of bunk beds. Bunk beds are being removed and a second double is being added in their place.
That's really roughing it!
I'm surprised tht place hasn't been broken into and relieved of much of its contents or at least vandalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
So, whot are you reading? Sounds like some 18th century prose.. or at least something eerie.
--

I think it's listening, not reading.

She walks these hills in a long black veil
She visits my grave when the night winds wail
Nobody knows, nobody sees
Nobody knows but me
__________________
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" Curly

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 10-21-2019 at 07:49 AM.
  #67  
Old 10-21-2019, 08:34 AM
gmd1950's Avatar
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Mebane, NC
Posts: 
52,889
TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Very neat "camp" Blackwolfe, wouldn't be hard to spend some time there at all, Wookness, glad the power was all you lost.

Mayor, that runway bringing in small planes over the Park has been begging to have something like that happen... A lot of the park is very hard to access, I would think the Patrol FLIR equipped Helo's would be able to locate it.

**as of 6:38am the aircraft has not been located**

Took our Friends whose home we stayed in while the heavy work was going on here out to Brunch at a favorite restaurant after Sunday school yesterday, great folks and we alway enjoy spending time with them. Came home and napped through some Football, about all the NFL is good for to me anymore.
__________________
https://mostlyrimfire.com
NRA Patron Member/GOA Life *Esse Quam Videri Ya'll*
  #68  
Old 10-21-2019, 09:22 AM
M92pv4u's Avatar
M92pv4u is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2018
Posts: 
333
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Good reports all around.


I almost had a fainting spell/CZ seizure myself when I logged on this AM and there had been no new posts on the CZ/Brno Forum!!!???


Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Heads up Wook.

Slaughterhouse Rulez
Schlachthaus Fünf!

Good book and movie. Where'd you find one that old?


Never mind. . . . . . different, non-Vonegut book/movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
This is the 5 bedroom log "Cabin" at camp. Didn't get any interior pictures of the interior at this time. Many of the windows have been replaced. Some of the interior rooms had very dark stained wood v grove paneling and wainscoting. Much have it has been replaced with white cedar with a clear finish. For the first time in twenty years there are now cabinet in the kitchen made from cedar that matches the cedar wainscoting and the new cedar interior doors. The white cedar really brightens the place up. Hardwood floors through out. The main living room has a big stone fireplace with log beams. This was the room that the former partner's wife papered with grape vines and grape bunches wall paper. There are both electric and propane gas lights in the house, and even the copper piping for the gas lights was papered.

Downstairs rooms were plastered. Upstairs rooms were sheathed in beaver board with dark wood trim on the joints that was most likely was not original. The "pink" room upstairs has tulip boarder stenciled at the top of the walls. Up stairs rooms will get the same cedar treatment as downstairs.

The screens for the screened in porch are copper or brass that was present when the camp was purchased.

The cabin can currently sleep 16 in beds. One large bedroom upstairs is a "bunk" room that houses one double bed and three sets of bunk beds. Bunk beds are being removed and a second double is being added in their place.
That's really roughing it!
I'm surprised tht place hasn't been broken into and relieved of much of its contents or at least vandalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
So, whot are you reading? Sounds like some 18th century prose.. or at least something eerie.
--

I think it's listening, not reading.

She walks these hills in a long black veil
She visits my grave when the night winds wail
Nobody knows, nobody sees
Nobody knows but me
Yep listening. Bobby Bare The Long Black Veil
https://youtu.be/cAyLUksDKkY

Last edited by M92pv4u; 10-21-2019 at 09:26 AM.
  #69  
Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Frank Eagles's Avatar
Frank Eagles
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2003
Location: 
Rolesville, NC [just north of Raleigh]
Posts: 
746
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Morning. 62 degrees. Sunny.

Been watching TV for update on plane. Sky 5 is not over anything. Maybe restricted. All it is showing is command center. News conference says nothing different. No release on pilot's info. Did say concentrated on a smaller area in the park. Heavy wooded as a State Park and they do nothing but let nature do its course.

County Commissioners' and Mayors' Assoc. tonight. Wifey working at the State Fair [Master Gardeners' booth].

wook, glad all is OK. Got several buddies [fishing] that live in your area. Will check on them. Now Memphis is under the gun per news.

BW, that is not a camp. A resort.

No word from Wildlife Biologist as of yet.

All have a good and safe one.
__________________
Hotdog Frank
  #70  
Old 10-21-2019, 09:52 AM
aztarget is online now

Join Date: 
Mar 2008
Location: 
tucson AZ
Posts: 
1,913
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
Good Morning RFC'rs, et al:


And a very good morning indeed, now that I know that Wook has survived last nights storms with his domicile intact.
There were at least two tornados out his way before the frontal line of storms. Both were caught on camera. One crossed I-35, causing damage to occupied cars. Roofs were misplaced, with some acquiring roofs that they didn't really need, or want. One of the tornados crossed Love Field.
When the frontal line finally moved through here, it was proceeded by some impressive straight line winds in it's outflow boundary. They were reported to be in the 70 mph range. I know they were capable of making the little travel trailer I'm staying in rock a bit.
Once the storm passed, I slept like a rock.

This morning we are going to the Zoo. Then I promised WhataBurger and Chick Fil a to go. We'll bring it home to consume it.

Well, . . . , Y'all be good, . . . , or good at it.
Hope they do not try to keep you at the zoo.
  #71  
Old 10-21-2019, 09:54 AM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville, MI
Posts: 
1,012,052
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
This was the room that the former partner's wife papered with grape vines and grape bunches wall paper. The "pink" room upstairs has tulip boarder stenciled at the top of the walls. Up stairs rooms will get the same cedar treatment as downstairs.
Oh the travesty! The ho had no inkling of ambiance it seems. Great detailed lodge in the middle of nowhere Yoopersville report Wolf. Glad you caught the Yooper fall colors which are the best in years. Given 5 yrs or so of merciful winters big bucks shall grow in that neck of the woods.
One of my best friends was from Germfask and worked at the Seney Wildlife Refuge working with geese. Boy oh boy he hated em!

Good TX weather reports Wook n Don.

I'm healing from yesterday's pruning antics, overlording, but mostly from being on my feet continuously for a couple hours, way over my normal 'pushing it' limit. I still have 3 trees to be pruned but my latest handy guy, hard worker, seemed quite satisfied with his wages and offered to do more most any weekend as he said he has no life staying mostly at home.

Gotta say hi and get my BP taken by my doc's nurse this week and see if my beats are within spec per an increase of BP med for ttremor.

44˚
__________________
If we were serious about saving lives, our vehicles would have breathalyzers tied into ignition kill switches.
  #72  
Old 10-21-2019, 10:00 AM
aztarget is online now

Join Date: 
Mar 2008
Location: 
tucson AZ
Posts: 
1,913
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Oh the travesty! The ho had no inkling of ambiance it seems. Great detailed lodge in the middle of nowhere Yoopersville report Wolf. Glad you caught the Yooper fall colors which are the best in years. Given 5 yrs or so of merciful winters big bucks shall grow in that neck of the woods.
One of my best friends was from Germfask and worked at the Seney Wildlife Refuge working with geese. Boy oh boy he hated em!

Good TX weather reports Wook n Don.

I'm healing from yesterday's pruning antics, overlording, but mostly from being on my feet continuously for a couple hours, way over my normal 'pushing it' limit. I still have 3 trees to be pruned but my latest handy guy, hard worker, seemed quite satisfied with his wages and offered to do more most any weekend as he said he has no life staying mostly at home.

Gotta say hi and get my BP taken by my doc's nurse this week and see if my beats are within spec per an increase of BP med for ttremor.

44˚
Hope the nurse is not to good looking you might get false results.
  #73  
Old 10-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Frank Eagles's Avatar
Frank Eagles
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2003
Location: 
Rolesville, NC [just north of Raleigh]
Posts: 
746
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Train buddy in Dallas got house damage. Two blocks over houses destroyed. His is not too bad but some is enough. Said big limb blew a block down the street and through his front window. Garage doors sucked out of their frames. Lots of trees destroyed in his yard.
__________________
Hotdog Frank
  #74  
Old 10-21-2019, 10:12 AM
aztarget is online now

Join Date: 
Mar 2008
Location: 
tucson AZ
Posts: 
1,913
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Blackwolfe if I didn't have to work I would never leave a place like that. Looks like it would make a nice B &B.
  #75  
Old 10-21-2019, 10:17 AM
62Ranger13
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2018
Posts: 
231
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Puffin weekender is the sort of thing on my bucket list. Very nice, sails!

It sounds like Spencer has found home, Brent. I love a positive story.

Thank you for the interesting journey in and around the camp near Pictured Rocks, Blackwolfe. My kind of place.

Thank you, wook, for the situation report. Prayers sent for all affected.

All caught up and, except az's flatmate, all seems good. Prayers for her.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x