The Watering Hole 10-21-2019 - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 11:15 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Heads up Wook.

Slaughterhouse Rulez
Old 10-20-2019, 11:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
G'nite Mayor and all the rest that haven't slipped quietly off to dreamland, or fallen down and can't get up.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:48 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
G'nite Mayor and all the rest that haven't slipped quietly off to dreamland, or fallen down and can't get up.
I haven't fallen down yet but I'm counting the empty cans😉 until bed time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 11:55 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Delayed because I wanted to see the news on this.

https://www.wral.com/search-for-smal...-rdu/18710966/

Plane disappeared from radar at RDU.

Watched a lot of DVR'd shows today. One was Patsy and Lorretta. They did the big thing on the song CRAZY. Sorry Sophia missed it.

Goodnight Al, Sophia, Rhody, Don, mdew, wook, Blackwolfe, Alum, GF, Sail, TD, Szumi, M92, Wayne, Brent, Greggie, koonta, Splatz, Ranger, nf, Phil, wr, Hawkeye, Gerald, jnyork, RichJ, COW, dlong, Atonic, Mike, JV, Rock, 404, 1917, Squirrel, TC, GP, JDWin, IHMS, Johnny, pans, RonL, Carrij, arjay, CMR, rj, Rick, calibrian, LASTSHOT and all the rest.

Sleep tight
Old 10-21-2019, 12:24 AM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Got home this late afternoon/early evening from a quick trip to Yooperland east of Al. Had hoped to get to get a little further west to say hello to Al, but it didn't work out.

A friend of mine has a camp near Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. He wanted some company for the 425 mile drive to take a log splitter to camp and pick up the riding mower to bring home for servicing and winterizing. Left Friday morning and made camp about 4:30 p.m. with a lunch stop and a fuel stop just before we left the pavement. My friend drives deliberately.

Camp is pretty remote, back in the dark woods, really dark woods. Truly off the grid. The most direct route from our direction involves 20 miles after you leave the pavement. There are other routes in that don't involve quite as much off pavement travel, but significant additional paved miles circling around to approach from the other side. The road in hasn't been graded for awhile and was in bad shape. Recent significant rains added to the poor road condition. Took over an hour to make the 20 miles. A lot of low lying wet swampy ground there. There were several places were water was flowing across the road draining the excess water from the swamps. Had one spot where the water was flowing down the road for a couple hundred feet before dumping out the other side.

My friend bought this camp about 20 years back with a partner. The process to purchase the property actually began about 25 years ago. The state owned the property and declared it surplus to be auctioned. My friend and partner bid on it but were unsuccessful having the second high bid. About 4 or 5 years later the state contacted my friend because the original high bidder defaulted on the deal in long drawn out convoluted affair.

The camp is believed to be about 100 years or so old and started as a logging camp. At some point the state acquired the property and it became a field research station, I think primarily to study deer. The winter there is brutal with the cold fronts and lake effect snow storms rolling in off Lake Superior. Eventually the state decided to relocate to a more accessible location. For a time after that a number of colleges and universities used the property for summer field study programs until it fell into disrepair and unused until declared surplus and put up for sale.

It didn't take long for the partnership between my friend and the other party to sour. While they did stabilize the buildings and make some repairs and functional improvements little was done in the way of major renovations or upgrades due to differences in cost and styling. I won't go into details, but lets just say that grape vine themed wall paper really didn't fit in a wood and stone cabin theme. A few years ago my friend was able to buy the partner out and proceed with really improving the camp.

While my friends calls this place a cabin, it really is a 5 bedroom log house about 100 or so years old. The camp sits on about an estimated 150 acre lake and are the only structures on the lake. The camp consist of the original log house, an original building we call the mess hall and an original barn that over time had several changes made. The old barn had the ceiling raised we believe to change from housing horses and wagons to taller equipment. We did find an old truck hood in the rafters. We did find the rotting remnants of some old barn doors in the woods behind the building. Eventually it became what we call the bunkhouse with a screened in porch and institutional bathroom and shower. It is seldom used, but I think a couple girl scout troops have used it since my friend has owned it.

A couple of newer building are also present. One we call the carpenter shop and is about the size of a large single car garage, but no overhead garage door. The other building is the generator shed. When they got the place there were two stationary diesel generators present. One was a newer 4 cylinder John Deere powered Onan genset. The other was a 2 cylinder Lister that sipped fuel, but didn't quite meet all the electrical demands at times.

When they looked at they property before they bought it there was also a wood burning sauna. Shortly before they took possession a very large white pine tree uprooted and destroyed the sauna.

I mentioned earlier that camp is remote and off the grid. There is no outside power. Cell phone service is virtually non existent, but occasional a week signal is available is you stand in the correct place and hold your mouth just right. The first time I was there it was in the fall when much off the low forest growth was already down from frost. I noticed a barely visible green phone line riser box for a buried telephone cable. We looked around inside and eventually found a phone junction box. My friend called the phone company and discovered that land line service was probably available, but they needed a physical address. It took awhile but my friend was eventually able to get an address for the camp. For awhile he had land line phone service,but that has since been disconnected.

More recently he added a device that is suppose to be a cell phone extender. The theory is that it will pull in weak cell signals and amplify the signal for your phone. Results have been mixed with cloudy days appearing to be better than clear days.

Not long ago my friend added satellite internet. I don't know what the cost for the service is, but from what he said I gathered it was a reduced rate program to provide internet service to rural and remote areas in the UP. Satellite internet downloads weren't bad but much slower than I get at home through cable. I tried checking the weather on weather underground. I could get the basic forecast, but the page never fully loaded and I could not get the full sized radar map. Satellite uploads are extremely slow. I was able to keep an eye on you guys over the weekend, but didn't post. I guess if you have the right kind of smart phone you can somehow piggy back on the sat elite internet and get service. I couldn't do that with my Neanderthal 2.0 flip phone in Luddite mode. Also available at camp is satellite TV.

The nearest permanent resident, George, is two miles out and is closer to the outside world. He is a retired forester and has been living in a garage sized shack with a lean to for 7 years. He is currently building a small house. He mentioned that after a storm in the winter it can take a week to get out. The next two closest full time neighbors are both 7 miles from camp in opposite directions. One 5 miles past George. They are both off the grid.

The other neighbor in the opposite direction is Warren, a retired Detroit area cop with a hundred yard range and some interesting things to shoot and cop stories to tell. Warren is on the grid. After retiring Warren and his wife moved to his camp. After the first winter she said she wanted to move back home. Warren said see ya, but I don't think they ever got divorced. Warren did have an internet cowgirl girlfriend from Texas that moved in for awhile with her horse. I understand that didn't last a full winter and she went back to Texas with her horse.

When my friend first got the place an older geezer stopped by. Comes to be that he was a retired biologist that had wintered over at the camp with his family when it was a State field research station. He said it was a cold, bitter and hard winter. One of the two generators was always kept running that winter. You would not shut a generator off to service until the other one was up and running for awhile for fear of not being able get either one started if both were off.

I'll post some pictures in some following posts.

ETA: Forgot to mention that camp when the generators or off and the lights are off it is extremely dark and quiet except for the noises that nature might be making. This is one of the darkest places in MI. Friday night the stars were incredible. Szumi has spent time in this immediate area. Critters seen at Camp or close by that may be making noise are: ducks, geese, loons, eagles, hawks, hoot owls, grouse, squirels, chipmunks, bats, mice, deer, moose, bears, and wolves.

Figured out that I haven't been there in 6 years, and to deer camp in 10 years. It's been too long.

Last edited by Blackwolfe; 10-21-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:33 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To keep up with the country music vibe "can't remember when I ate still I thumb and walk and wait"
Old 10-21-2019, 01:00 AM
Blackwolfe

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
This is the 5 bedroom log "Cabin" at camp. Didn't get any interior pictures of the interior at this time. Many of the windows have been replaced. Some of the interior rooms had very dark stained wood v grove paneling and wainscoting. Much have it has been replaced with white cedar with a clear finish. For the first time in twenty years there are now cabinet in the kitchen made from cedar that matches the cedar wainscoting and the new cedar interior doors. The white cedar really brightens the place up. Hardwood floors through out. The main living room has a big stone fireplace with log beams. This was the room that the former partner's wife papered with grape vines and grape bunches wall paper. There are both electric and propane gas lights in the house, and even the copper piping for the gas lights was papered.

Downstairs rooms were plastered. Upstairs rooms were sheathed in beaver board with dark wood trim on the joints that was most likely was not original. The "pink" room upstairs has tulip boarder stenciled at the top of the walls. Up stairs rooms will get the same cedar treatment as downstairs.

The screens for the screened in porch are copper or brass that was present when the camp was purchased.

The cabin can currently sleep 16 in beds. One large bedroom upstairs is a "bunk" room that houses one double bed and three sets of bunk beds. Bunk beds are being removed and a second double is being added in their place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1000.jpg (527.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0997.jpg (492.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 01:07 AM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Howdy all!

I had just a small time window to do the flip today. I was up at 4:30am and on the way to Boston by 5:30 am to meet the crane guy and several co-workers. We had to replace a huge roof top HVAC unit. It all went well, and I was back home by 12:30. Had to get some shut eye before going out with YWC at 5:30. We went to see a spectacular carved and painted pumpkin display at a local park/ zoo, followed by dinner and then back to my place. We had a great night! (She just left! )

Time for a few hours of shut eye before getting up at 6:00am for work again today.

Y'all sleep well!

R
Old 10-21-2019, 01:43 AM
Blackwolfe

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
This is the "mess hall". We think this was originally a work shop, mess hall, and bunk house for the logging camp. The mess hall is kind of a lodge now. At some point either when it was a state field research station, or when the colleges and university used it what appears to be a lab was built in one end of the building. There are upper and lower wooden cabinets with the upper cabinets having glass in the doors. Also a large sink. Lab counter tops may be soapstone or at least some kind of dark lab counter top material. There is a small bathroom in the corner. I noticed there is still a pile of "deer camp magazines".

This is the room you enter when you come into the building. The stone structure is thought to be an old forge. It certainly isn't a fireplace. There are some holes in the masonry that we think might have been for the nozzle of a bellows to fan the forge flames. My friends has a few mounts in this room and other parts of the building. Much of this building has pine tongue and groove paneling.

Legacy sign from university use days. We have found ID marks from 3 or 4 schools that have used the camp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0971.jpg (490.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0972.jpg (467.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0977.jpg (490.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 02:17 AM
Blackwolfe

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
When you enter the mess hall and go to the right you enter a short hall way from which you can enter the kitchen or continue into the main dining and lodge area.

Hanging from the ceiling is a Thompson Car Topper boat about 13 or 14 feet or so. Made from slats and I think canvas. My friends believes this dates to 1939 and he recently acquired it from the estate of the original owner who lived in Chicago. The boat was seldom used and stored indoors.

Off the hall way is the commercial kitchen that added at some point, most likely when the colleges were using it for summer field studies. Just took a shot of the vintage gas range. 6 burners, double oven griddle, and broiler under the griddle as the griddle and broiler use the same burner. Easy to whip up breakfast for 10 or 12. Just visible is a bit of slate counter top. My friend is a general contractor and the slate was left over from a three story law office building their company built about 35 or more years ago. He's been holding since then for one of the lawyers. He told the lawyer that if he didn't pick it up by a certain date, storage charges would apply. The lawyer, his brother in law, never responded, so he used the slate to make the counter tops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0966.jpg (471.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0969.jpg (492.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0967.jpg (490.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0973.jpg (432.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 02:22 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Prayers up, wook.

Justin Case...

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 10-21-2019, 02:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Ten years ago on a cold dark night someone was killed neith the town hall light... their were few at the scene but they all agree that the slayer that ran looked a lot like me"
Old 10-21-2019, 02:42 AM
Blackwolfe

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
At the end of the hall you enter into the dining, lounging area of the mess hall. Just a couple of pictures that cover about half of it. There are a couple of more tables and chair sets in the other half. Big screen TV in the corner with some comfy seating. Even though I don't drink, a fair amount alcohol has been consumed here and poker played.

In the first picture you can see a pass through from the kitchen. Forgot to mention that in the kitchen is a three bay commercial stainless steel sink.

In the back, to the right of the TV area is a door to a back room. In the back room is a well pit, some old wood shelving, and a couple of old concrete bases that at one time had generators mounted. There is also an exit door in the back room to the out side. Generators had already been removed to a separate building before my friend got the place. Outside the back wall of the building is an old buried fuel tank of heavy steel and riveted construction long abandoned, with a couple of inches showing to prove its existence.

The last picture shows outside the lavatory end of the building.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0965.jpg (471.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0964.jpg (387.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0978.jpg (532.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 03:42 AM
Blackwolfe

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I mention that my friend camp is off the grid. When he bought the place there were two stationary diesel generators, a two cylinder Lister and a newer 4 cylinder John Deere powered Onan. The generators were housed in a newer than the cabin shed.

The exhaust systems for the generators exited the shed and were routed to mufflers underground with exhaust stack rising inside of a caged area. All in all it was fairly quiet. The Lister turned at 1200 rpm IIRC sipping fuel compared to the Deere which used 3-4 times more than the Lister.

My friend had both units rebuilt. The Deere was a beast to muscle out of and back into the shed. The Lister is British which caused a few issues for the rebuilder. The Lister could almost supply enough power under heavy loads and was the preferred generator to run when possible. At some point Lister was damaged at the behest of guest of the partner requiring requiring it's replacement. I helped install the replacement, but don't recall the number of cylinders at the moment, but physically it is of a smaller size compared to the Deere.

Running the diesel generators gets costly, so we were always conscious of running them. The cabin has two forced air propane gas furnaces as well as a couple of self contained gas heaters. With the generators and furnaces off overnight, the heaters kept the chill at bay mostly, but it could still get a little nippy. The mess hall is heated by several gas heaters as well as kitchen cooking heat. Additionally there are also some fire places and wood stoves.

Below is a picture of the generator shed and diesel fuel tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0995.jpg (487.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 04:22 AM
Blackwolfe

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Last year my friend devised a new power scheme and installed some solar panels. The panels charge a bang of batteries housed in the generator shed. The batteries provide enough power most of the time. Should the battery reserve drop too low because the panels can't keep up, the generator will automatically start and provide working power and charge the batteries.

My friend erected the panels himself, but the electrical was not quite as plug and play as he thought it was, so he hired a company from Marquette to do the hook up.

My friend made some calculations as to how big the foundation needed to be to anchor the panels and decided on 5 x5 x 5.5 feet deep. He and anther much younger guy each started digging a hole. About 18 inches down he hit a layer of charcoal and theorizes that some time past the forest must have burned over. Immediately below the charcoal layer he hit hard pan several inches thick that required a large heavy duty pry bar to chip through. After digging awhile, my friend decided it was break time and realized he had literately dug himself into a hole he couldn't get out of. He sat down and waited for awhile until the other guy came over with a ladder to fetch him out.

To raise the 8 inch steel post the panels are mounted on he rigged up some ropes and pulleys into a tree then to his SUV. It was a bit of a struggle, but they finally got them plumbed and braced. Called ready mix and poured the crete.

He said that the system has been working very well. While we were there, the generator never ran as the charge on the batteries never got below the mid 90% range. Since installing the panels he the generator has only run about 4 hours this year. He has since sold the larger John Deere Onan genset.

Below is a picture of the panels. He has them set at high angle currently to help shed snow this winter. Normally the angle is less steep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0990.jpg (558.0 KB, 6 views)