Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:48 AM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Cabelas Selection

I was at Cabelas last night to look for some ammo. The selection has really deteriorated since Bass Pro took them over. No more Eley, Tenex, Norma, or the other match grade ammo. They had a decent selection of CCI products, Blazer, Aguila, and the typical Winchester, Federal, and Remington bulk packs. I'm afraid this will be the new norm. Previously they kept a good selection on the shelves.

Mals
Old 10-20-2019, 12:05 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I observed the same with centerfire rifle ammo. The odd, slow moving cartridges are no longer carried. To some extent this began long before Bass pro. My unscientific observation is the process has accelerated. But, yea, not much if any match grade rimfire in either of the two cabelas within my shopping radius.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:25 PM
slickracer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cabela's is turning into a mere shadow of its former self. The Cabelas clothing brand is dwindling away and being replaced by lower quality Redhead brand. As the OP pointed out, shooting related items are dwindling away as well.

Last edited by slickracer; 10-20-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 12:52 PM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Haven't dropped by Cabela's much since the takeover, even though it's on the way to the range, but when I do it is hard not to notice the dearth of options in ammo and the overall increase in prices compared to the "good old days". Not to mention most of the long time associates in the firearm and hunting department have been replaced by younger, less informed employees that don't exhibit the same level of customer service. Thank heaven for Bud's and TargetSports.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Ruger1300

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I noticed that myself the last time I was there. I went in for some eley or sk and was disappointed.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:46 PM
JHB51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are a big box store they have stock holders to answer to. Shelf space is expensive if it sells fast and it is profitable they stock it.
Now on to the odd ball or slow selling items. They have to increase the price to compensate for a particular product sitting on the shelf for an extended amount of time.
Example take a 1' x 1' section of shelf. They sell 10K rounds of Golden bullets in a weeks time. Now in a spot 1/4 that size they sell 100 rounds of Eley in a week. That is lost space. The cost of Eley is more to start out with then profit has to be added and the time it sits on the shelf to compensate for the loss of profit if they used it for Golden bullets.
This is no different than the LGS not stocking everything an internet supplier stocks it takes a lot of money to stock a store.
Warehouse space is cheaper than retail space. Retail stores are on the main roads so when people drive buy the see the store. Warehouses are normally off the main roads.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, shelf space cost money. Empty shelves can cost even more money.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:14 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It cost them my money last night.

Mals
Old 10-20-2019, 07:05 PM
SHOVELHEAD82
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Apples to Oranges but it's the same thing with the Gun Library at least in the Dundee store. It used to be a special place but not since the takeover. Mostly just more of what is in the regular gun area, used selection is pretty underwhelming. At least in the Gun Library the associate there helped my friend with a holster selection. Also at least to me the holster selection was getting reduced, not a lot of DeSantis or Bianchi, saw no Galco at all unlike in the past, more Kydex and non leather on the floor.

I looked at a used Browning Hi-Power pistol there. "Blued" if you can call it that. One of my "want ones" but not at that condition and price it was marked. I could have bought two of the BHP's that Gander Mountain was selling, Israeli Police trade ins for what they wanted for one and still would have had change coming back. If it had been at half of marked price I would have probably brought it home and sent it out for bluing but what they wanted put it way over the mark at least in my mind. Someone will buy it but not this guy.

The used long gun selection on the rack outside the Library is also limited. I could usually count on a few rimfires from the 1930's to 1960's at reasonable prices. Occasionally finding a real gem there in the past but not the last few visits. Several Mosins, nothing to write home about and it seems new but lower priced guns that didn't sell from behind the counter.

The days of them offering a matched set of shotguns owned by Robert Stack with a letter of authenticity signed by him are long gone in that store.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:39 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep... reduced selection in .22 and other cal's. Fewer deals and sales. Plenty of full retail'ish prices.

I loaded up on ammo in the past when Cab's had a good sale but that has been way over a year now. The difference in online stores vs. Bass/Cab's prices is not small any more, especially for volume shooters.

So maybe their target customer no longer includes volume shooters (and shooters who know better than to buy Red-rattlers, Goldies or BlunderBolt) since they(we) buy 1K+ rounds at a time and not from Bass/Cab's anyway. And maybe that is why Eley, SK, RWS, Norma is no longer on their shelves. Let the other retailers burn $ on low-trun product on their shelve.

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 10-20-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:01 AM
lv2fish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My local Cabelas has diminished as well.

Most items being sold today are for our disposable society, with planned obsolescence. Its about turning numbers, and not quality. This is supported by a customer base with lower expectations.
People that expect quality, and items made with pride are slowly eroding with the passing of time, and so are the stores that cater to them