Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:37 AM
SquirrelDown

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squirrel hunting ammo

Pretty sure this has all been discussed before but what type of ammo do you all use. Subsonic vs high velocity, hollow points or solids? Ive used a little of each but recently just been using cci standards.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2019, 12:34 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Since all my hunting takes place in heavy undergrowth, it really doesn't matter.
Round nose, flat nose, hollow point, hi v, sv, all work just fine as my maximum shot is about 100 feet.
No one is taking 50 yard shots in the pines and palmettos of N. FL.
Tree rat on a branch 40 feet up, or a rabbit on the side of a fire road 60 feet ahead,
fall with a head shot from most any half decent 22lr.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Purple Bikerr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I use whatever ammo is most accurate in the gun I am using. Head shots at 50 yds using a tree for a rest = dinner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 02:32 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My squirrel hunting is the ground squirrel variety so it involves thousands of rounds over a 3-4 day period. I use the most accurate reasonably priced ammo. Currently that's CCI Standard Velocity or CCI blazer.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:40 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For tree rats Eley hp subs are hard to top for accuracy (in my rifles). I've taken a few fox and coons with em also.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:37 PM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a couple slides of CCI segmented HP HV this fall to try. In the past, what ever ammo I had on hand. As others stated, a head shot doesn't care what kind of projectile or speed out of a rimfire.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:51 PM
SquirrelDown

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
I bought a couple slides of CCI segmented HP HV this fall to try. In the past, what ever ammo I had on hand. As others stated, a head shot doesn't care what kind of projectile or speed out of a rimfire.
Let us know how them segmented hps do ive been wanting to try them my self

Old 10-19-2019, 03:53 PM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelDown View Post
Let us know how them segmented hps do ive been wanting to try them my self

Will do. I've only shot 5 rounds of them, just wanted to make sure they hit paper the same as my other HV ammo, I only shoot CCI, usually LRN SV or LRN Blazer HV. They group almost as good as Blazer, definitely well inside minute of squirrel.

Last edited by Cowpokey; 10-19-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:01 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
Will do. I've only shot 5 rounds of them, just wanted to make sure they hit paper the same as my other HV ammo, I only shoot CCI, usually LRN SV or LRN Blazer HV. They group almost as good as Blazer, definitely well inside minute of squirrel.

In my CZs, they actually shoot a little better than the regular MiniMag HPs, and if they were easier to locate, I'd probably buy them all the time. I have about a brick on hand now.

As it is, those same CZs shoot Aguila SE-HPs even better, and they're often on sale for under $200/case, so.........................
Old 10-19-2019, 08:38 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Currently using CCI Subsonic HP. I've favored subsonic hollowpoints for many years, and have used several; SK (no longer made), Eley, RWS, CCI, whichever gives good accuracy from a particular rifle.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:50 PM
ohiobeagler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We use the Federal bulk HP from Walmart. It’s accurate for the distances we shoot.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:41 PM
Pa22Rimfire
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI Sub-Sonic 40 gr. HP in my Ruger 10/22 Target. Very accurate!

Old vintage(mid 1960's) Western "Super-Match" Mark III Target ammo in my Ruger 77/22 VBZ. I have a small stash of this ammo and use it just for squirrel hunting. I find this ammo from time to time at gun shows. I managed to bag my limit today with this combo. I went 6 for 7 with several shots pushing 50 yards and one at 60! My only miss, I hit a twig in flight and the bullet deflected! This is good stuff when you can find it. I do not have the same opinion about Winchester's current 22 ammo.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:28 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot squirrels with CCI Standard Velocity or Winchester T-22 or Norma Tac-22. These are all roughly equivalent. Just killed 3 earlier in the week with my Remington 541S, 3 shots, 3 squirrels.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am shooting Eley SS HP's out of my Jackson Squirrel. It shoots them really well, really, really well. I am sighted in for 30 yards. Our shots here are usually at that out to perhaps 40 yards for now.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:24 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Having over 60 years of tree squirrel hunting under my belt with the vast majority involving a rimfire rifle, I shoot whatever my rifle determines it likes best at 25 yards. I've got several rifles that make the trip to the squirrel woods on an individual basis and most will shoot CCI SV into a half-inch circle at 25 yards, plenty good enough for squirrels. Having said that, the .17 Mach2 is a better rimfire choice for squirrels having taken well over 100 via head shots with no crawl offs.