How long before cleaning your squirrels - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:06 PM
iflyfish
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How long before cleaning your squirrels

Hunted squirrels yesterday from 630AM to 3PM. It was about 60-65 degrees. I got my first squirrel around 7AM. Buy the time I got back to the truck to clean them that first one was stiff as a board and kind of nasty. I normally do not hunt for anywhere near that long, but I知 wondering how long y誕ll might keep one before cleaning it.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:25 PM
headspaced
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I clean mine as soon as I pick them up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2603.jpg (162.5 KB, 371 views)
Old 10-18-2019, 09:32 PM
gebosniper
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree with cleaning them on the spot. Just be sure to pack out the Guts/Hide/head as well. Its rumored that you can get cited for littering if you dont pack it out. Supposedly it can transmit disease to other wildlife if they eat it. Dont know if those are true facts or not but I wouldnt chance it. I bring mine home and bury them in the garden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 09:40 PM
lasttombstone
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I tote the till I get home then clean, wash and put them in the fridge. Never had any problems. Some people are overly concerned about meat going bad. Shoot them in the head and there is no mess
Old 10-18-2019, 09:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have always waited until I get home to clean them then put them in lightly salted water in the fridge overnight. Never had any problems.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:48 PM
lasttombstone

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What get me worse are those who will kill a squirrel, find a wolf in it and pitch it in the woods. Such a waste. If someone is concerned about wolves they need to wait till cold weather to hunt. Just saying.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:53 PM
patience0830
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
I've cleaned them as I go and hauled them around for 3 hours on an 80ー morning. No difference. On the warmer end of the weather spectrum I'll clean them just to avoid listening to the green headed flies and the ground bees.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:52 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I don't clean them until I'm done. Haven't you ever watched those shows where people talk about eating road kill? I've seen where they have said they will eat game that's been dead along the road for 2 to 3 days.

I'm with zxstevens, clean em then throw them in saltwater. That's the squirrels not the road kill.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:16 AM
Donnie Powell
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I try to gut everything I kill within 5 minutes, then clean when I get home.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:01 AM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
I clean them when I get home. I leave the guts and hides right there where I cleaned them and the coyotes and possums have it all cleaned up by the next morning
Old 10-19-2019, 08:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (48)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
I've cleaned them as I go and hauled them around for 3 hours on an 80ー morning. No difference. On the warmer end of the weather spectrum I'll clean them just to avoid listening to the green headed flies and the ground bees.
This from a guy who mostly hunts from the porch of his cabin!

I clean mine when I get home. I do not want the chance of any blood setting up on my gun or knife while hunting. Heck, I never hunt more than 4 hours at a time anyway. I put my skins and guts in a plastic grocery bag and throw them in the freezer. When I have a full bag, I throw them in the office dumpster on the day the trash truck comes.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In Mich its legal to leave all animal entrails, guts for all y'all, and hides in the woods on state land, preferable with some discretion of course.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:52 PM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Used to stop by a stream on the drive home after a two or three hour hunt,clean em and wash up right there.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:02 PM
iflyfish
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks to all. I bought a soft side cooler that attaches to the bottom of my hip pack. It holds one of those plastic ice packs to keep it cool inside. I値l keep them in that and I値l continue to clean them at the truck. If I知 going to spend more than a few hours I値l may clean them where I kill them and keep them cool in the cooler.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:55 PM
Pa22Rimfire
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like to clean them in the field while they are still a little warm! So much easier to skin! As an example, early this morning I shot three and cleaned them within the hour. Later in the early afternoon I shot three more to finish my limit. Cleaned them within 30 minutes. I put them in a two gallon plastic bag and sprinkle them with a good dose of table salt and then into the game bag they go. Soak them over night in salt water and then either eat them or they go in the freezer for later. I have done this for 48 years and seems to work fine for me.