Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:00 PM
Rider357
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Scopes and eyeglasses

Well Iím not sure this is the right category for this question but here goes .
My aging eyes finally require glasses at a distance. Do you guys or gals need your glasses when looking through a scope at 100 yds or can you do without them? I know eyesight varies from one person to the next but whatís your experience?
Thanks
Old 10-18-2019, 03:26 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Depending on how far off 20/20 you are the the scope can probably be adjusted for use without glasses Rider, however I'd recommend against it for several reasons.

1) No one else could pick up your rifle and shoot it without adjusting the scope.

2) With glasses off you may have trouble looking up and seeing an unsafe range condition.

3) With glasses off you may or may not remember to put on safety glasses and shooting without eyepro is risky business

I always adjust my rifle scopes while wearing my glasses. For birding or especially astronomy getting rid of that extra lens surface can make for a little extra detail but for shooting I think the safety and convenience factors heavily out weigh squeezing out the last iota of clarity.

Frank
Old 10-18-2019, 03:36 PM
ShootingStar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rider,
One additional point about using glasses or not to look through your scope at 100yds:
If it is an Adjustable Objective scope and you are "focusing" it to your uncorrected eyes, it's really NOT set for the correct distance.
As was said above - it might look good to your eyes, but they are not 20/20 any longer and therefore you corrected for your failing vision - NOT adjusted for the correct parallax.

Also +1 on the safety aspect of using safety glasses - even when shooting .22lr.
We had a gentleman a couple weeks ago during a Smallbore Silhouette Match, using match grade .22lr (factory ammo), shot with a very loud report! Afterwards, we found out the case separated at the "head", blew a whole bunch of gas and powder and case particles out through the gas ports on the bolt as well as blasting the magazine out of the magazine well, breaking some of the seam welds along the way on the magazine! He was OK, but his safety glasses and some of his face was peppered with the ejecta!!! He's fine, the gun's fine but 1 magazine was toast!
Wear Safety Glasses - they are cheaper than new eyes!!

ShootingStar - Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 05:05 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rider.

End of day it largely depends on how good/bad your eye-sight is. I wear glasses for middle/long distance therefore I wear them when shooting with a scope.

I donít wear separate safety glasses, just my prescription glasses as most today are made with modern safety materials.

Shooting with spectacles can be awkward with some scopes that have a very limited eye relief.

Just my tuppence worth.

Giz
Old 10-18-2019, 05:31 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Without my glasses I would have a hard time finding my rifle. (Very earsighted)

So I always have them on I have had no problems with any kind of scope; fixed, variable, AO or not. BUT having a eye-peace focus-ring is critical for me.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:50 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I know some can't wear them.. but, contacts are the answer.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:40 PM
Rider357

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the responses. I will be doing some experimenting in a week or so. I also thought about contacts and think they may be the solution. Always use eye protection except during deer season but probably should.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:59 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rider.

Eye & Hearing protection is a must and tests for both are are highly recommenced the older/younger we get/feel.

I was also told that if I need specs for 50/100yd viewing, then I should wear the specs when using a scope.

Try the contacts; don't use myself but the the modern soft one/two day use and throw-away contacts are reasonably priced these days, if they are suitable you could just use them for shooting days.

Best of luck with finding a solution, enjoy....

Giz
Old 10-19-2019, 04:56 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider357 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I will be doing some experimenting in a week or so. I also thought about contacts and think they may be the solution. Always use eye protection except during deer season but probably should.
I wore contacts as a kid but would never go that route again. Laser surgery is a much better option, if that is possible.

I hate to see anyone ever shoot anything without eye protection. A friend who is an extremely experienced shooter managed to blow a rifle up about a year ago. I was nearby. Bits of brass blew back and into his face. Had he not had eye protection on he would have been blinded in BOTH eyes. The brass embedded in his lenses instead of his eyeballs.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Bottom Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you're smart, you are going to have to wear safety glasses when you shoot anyway so what's the difference whether you wear prescription or non-prescription glasses?

Last edited by Bottom Gun; 10-19-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:35 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been wearing glasses full time for over 60 yrs and I couldn't begin to count the times something ricocheted off one of the lens and thinking; "Boy that would've really hurt!" Its easier to wear glasses full time than to be searching for eye protection when you need it. Lotsa bugs bounce off my kisser every year while cruising @ 35mph to my favorite fishing spots for instance.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:41 PM
wagon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
I wear glasses and my sight is above the rim of the eye glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk