Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:12 AM
JamesHP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sako Vixen .222 coming. What scope?

I have just purchased a Sako Vixen.222 primarily for fun target shooting on my farm range. What scope(s) would you recommend? I have a pair of Sako 1” original rings, medium height.
Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations.

Best,

Jim
Old 10-18-2019, 08:28 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Look at a vintage Weaver K10 60B.

Great scopes and era correct for the Vixen.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:45 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I have a heavy barreled Sako L461 in .222, which was set up as a target shooting rifle by the former owner. They are such nicely designed rifles. It wears a Weaver T36 and looks like this:

I really only shoot it at 100 and 200 yards from a bench. 36x is a comfortable level of magnification at those distances, and does not require use of a separate spotting scope to see holes in the target. The .222 is a great caliber for those distances, and the Vixen is a classic design. Congrats on your find! Hope yours is an accurate shooter. I was happy with mine from the first day at the range.

Note: load and seating length data is specific to my rifle and may not work or may be dangerous in any other.

Last edited by flangster; 10-18-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM
lefty222

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Beautifull rifle, l was always a fan of Sako rifles had a Forester in 243 it's still in the family.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
I have a heavy barreled Sako L461 in .222, which was set up as a target shooting rifle by the former owner. They are such nicely designed rifles. It wears a Weaver T36 and looks like this:

That's actually a vintage Lyman All American on that Sako, not a Weaver. The Lyman is another good choice for the 222.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:50 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
That's actually a vintage Lyman All American on that Sako, not a Weaver. The Lyman is another good choice for the 222.
Oops! Sharp eyes, my friend. Indeed it is. That is the scope that came with the rifle. I have since swapped it for the T36 . . .
Old 10-18-2019, 10:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Oops! Sharp eyes, my friend. Indeed it is. That is the scope that came with the rifle. I have since swapped it for the T36 . . .
Old 10-18-2019, 10:50 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
With the huge leaps in optics technology, I'm not really into vintage scopes with clearly inferior adjustments and less-than stellar views, no matter how "right" they might look, so I'll leave the vintage recommendations to others. I also do not really favor massive scopes mounted on petite rifles; I'm less repulsed by the big glass on obviously target-style rifles with heavy barrels. Also, FWIW, I often use various 36x scopes for load testing and development, but I have found them very restrictive and limiting when shooting in the field. On the other hand, you only mentioned target shooting.

I will say that I just mounted a Leupold VXi 4.5-14x on my recently acquired Sako L-46 sporter (.222), and the medium Sako rings (they happened to also be offset) allowed almost perfect scope clearance...but it is an L-46 sporter with a light contour barrel; no promises on a Vixen with an unspecified barrel diameter. The 4.5-14x is as light and compact as most 3-9xs but offers relatively high magnification without compromising balance and handling, especially after I boosted it to 6-20x using a 4x booster.

Your call on the direction you go: keep with vintage look; or keep with size and balance.

Please post pics.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 10-18-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Bottom Gun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A fine European rifle like that should have a fine European scope like Kahles or Swarovski.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:45 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
JamesHP sir I would suggest a Weaver Grand Slam 4-16x scope its short and has really nice glass in them...if you could find a 800656 which is the Varmint EBX reticle model I think that would be a great all a round magnification scope for Varminting and plinking optics. The scope at 4x gives a wide field of view and allows you to do offhand shooting and 16x when you want/need more power when you want the up close and personal touch on game or paper.

I have the GS 4-16x on my CZ 452s, 455s and 527 rifles. They are hard to find now...it will be like the needle in the hay stack...but it would be worth it. Being only 11.5" long they are a nice short powerful scope for your rifle with side focus that adjust down to 25 yards.

Good luck on your quest

Signalman
Old 10-18-2019, 06:08 PM
JamesHP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the recommendations. Love the pics! Beautiful!!
I am also an amateur astronomer and am quite aware of the advances in optics. If not for the advanced in lenses my eyeglasses would look like coke bottoms!!

So, I like the original rings I have but would be more interested in a modern optic. Leupold, Swarovski, Weaver are all worthy suggestions. Is it ok to spend as much on the scope as the rifle?

Jim

Last edited by JamesHP; 10-18-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:41 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I have a L461 and it had a Redfield 6x widefield. I am going to mount a Burris 3x9 now, as the 6x lens has gotten a bit dark. Going to send it out for a repair.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:09 PM
Balvar24

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Unertl Vulture in the classifieds. Not affiliated with myself.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:56 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHP View Post
Is it ok to spend as much on the scope as the rifle?

Jim
Not only OK, but required.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:00 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHP View Post
Is it ok to spend as much on the scope as the rifle?

Jim
Well, shoot, it's your money, so it is pretty easy for us to spend it...

I think it is OK. I think the scope is integral to your enjoyment of the rifle. But I have never spent the big bucks on really premium glass. Part of the reason is that I don't see the gains, optically I mean, as you go from $600 to $1,000 or higher. The gains may be there, but my middle aged eyes can't perceive them.

On the other hand, in photography, I have never regretted buying "lifetime" glass.