Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:58 AM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
The argument that a particular shooter hasn't yet shot anyone with his rifle carried in the field with a round in the chamber and the safety off doesn't persuade me that it is a safe practice. A lot of folks have driven a car under the influence and not hurt anyone but that does nothing to recommend it as safe.

I wouldn't hunt with someone who refused to engage the safety on his rifle and, among other things, I would teach anyone new to hunting to always have the safety on when carrying a loaded rifle in the field.

Round chambered, safety on. Safety comes off only immediately before shot.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:12 AM
nevadany
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
RF or CF, doesn't matter.

walking...load/safety/safe direction.

If i'm sitting in a tree, rifle gets unloaded until i'm in place, then its load/safety/safe direction. When I get down, rifle gets unloaded until i'm on the ground, and if the day is still huntable, then its load/safety/safe direction again while I walk.

If the rifle isn't in my hands (leaning against a tree when nature calls), the action gets opened and round removed from the chamber. Also, the rifle gets unloaded somewhere during the last 100 yards of the walk back to the cabin.

In my opinion, walking around loaded with the safety off is a terrible idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
All firearms are/should be treated as loaded
Yep...

DW
Old 10-17-2019, 09:18 AM
OldCZFan
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
How long does it take to thumb off a safety? I can't imagine carrying a loaded rifle to or from a stand with the safety not engaged. Further, I keep the safety engaged even when in a stand until such time as a shot presents itself.

Maybe I'm too old fashioned but as of this morning, I haven't experienced a regrettable incident with a firearm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 09:35 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I have read what you guys like and that is great that most of you like to have your safety on and that is a good thing...but for me I have been shooting since about 8 years old which is a very long time...just a quick question...how many of you have ever had a firearm ever go off by itself ??? the safety is an extra measure...but your firearm will never shoot until up pull the trigger...and if you slip or fall what in the hell are you doing with your finger inside the trigger guard. That is why the trigger guard is there to protect the trigger from being pulled/pushed on accident.

My feelings on this are very strong because my young brother was shot because someone thought the safety was on and put his finger inside the guard causing the firearm to go off. I don't trust safeties and some of you like to lower you trigger to in my eyes unsafe levels which should never be use for hunting out in the field...bench work fine.

Everybody is different and safeties are very different also but the basic safety rule no matter the style is never put your trigger in the trigger until your ready to fire...if you are hunting and have to fumble around to take your safety off especially if someone your hunting with is new can point the rifle in a unsafe direction and to make matters worse may make a hurried shot to make up for lost time. Which won't be bad for the hunter but what is down field at that split second...not seeing what is behind your target.

I bird hunt, shoot gophers and rabbits which does not give me a lot of time. But when deer hunting and walking for miles I have an empty chamber...and I have plenty of time to take to work the bolt and shoot.

So how many of you varmint hunters shooting PD put your safety on after every shot.?? How many of you trap and skeet shooters put on your safety with lots of people around they have open actions...bottom line is never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Signalman
Old 10-17-2019, 09:40 AM
Pastprime
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (119)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
I have hunted for over 40 years with the round in the chamber and the safety off. I have never had a firearm go off when I was not ready and I know where the muzzle is pointed at all times...never put your finger on the trigger until your ready to shoot.

Even when bird hunting with a Ruger Red Label which had an automatic safety that was a real pain in the backside because the safety would come on and I would forget when trying to shoot and reload for more birds. I missed a lot with that shotgun.

Signalman
That's the way I did it for 30 some odd years. Also never had an accidental discharge. I figured the real "Safety" was between my ears.

Hank
Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastprime View Post
That's the way I did it for 30 some odd years. Also never had an accidental discharge. I figured the real "Safety" was between my ears.

Hank
This
Old 10-17-2019, 10:27 AM
wjritchie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Always safety on and good muzzle control . I feel even more cautious maybe obsessive about the muzzle control when shooting muzzle loaders or lever guns that really have no safety other than a half cock . I am continuously thinking about the possibility of the hammer / hammers being caught on brush or similar and bouncing out of half cock notch . WJR Add / I rimfire hunt a lot with CZ 455 and personally like the backwards safety , very easy to snap it back with the trigger finger just before the shot .

Last edited by wjritchie; 10-17-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 10-17-2019, 10:52 AM
1522steelshooter
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walking around with a loaded rifle or shotgun with the safety off is an accident looking for a time and place to happen.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:54 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting thread. I normally hunt with a loaded chamber, safety on, and exercise my usual muzzle control.

That's two levels of safety, one mechanical and one mental. Trigger fingers stay out of the trigger guard until ready to fire, sticks and bushes aren't always so accommodating.

If you hunt upland birds with an empty chamber you won't get many, if any.

Hunting with a loaded chamber and the safety off strikes me as unsafe to both myself and others. Safeties do fail, yes, but it's not a common occurrence.

I don't like hunting with others and rarely do it.

In my experience, target shooters do not use safeties, they have no reason to. Rifles aren't loaded until you're ready to fire the shot, same with trap and skeet.

I don't play the cop wanna-be games with handguns so I have no experience with that.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I donít trust CZ safeties--especially when the trigger is lightened. I chamber a bullet when I am ready to shoot.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I usually hunt one of two ways. One is clip in and bolt closed on an empty chamber with gun un cocked. It only takes a second to work the bolt. The other is with a round chambered and safety on always monitoring muzzle direction. This is usually when I am sitting still.

On My shotguns, they are loaded with round in chamber(s) and safety on. With my side lock hammer guns (old English guns) I carry them broke open, loaded chamber with the hammers cocked. Learned that from some old men back in the late 50's. Some of them who were ardent bird hunters with very well broke bird dogs carried an empty gun and only loaded prior to walking in on a point. This was mostly woodcock and grouse hunting.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:44 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Key View Post
I donít trust CZ safeties--especially when the trigger is lightened. I chamber a bullet when I am ready to shoot.
A decade or so ago a guy about 7 paces from me missed my foot with a load of #6's by about 8". Blasted the ground beside my boot. His shotgun had the safety ON when it went off. Indeed, it was a double with an auto-safety and was closing it, so it was impossible for to not be on safe.

Yes, of course, no one ever gets shot by guns kept pointed in safe directions. I have two problems with that. First, I been told by several people how vastly experienced they are, and how muzzle-aware they are, only to get into the field with them and have to repeatedly tell them to quit pointing their closed, loaded gun at me. That is especially true when they get excited by flushing birds or jumping deer.

Second, idea that you just couldn't possibly trip and fall, and have a stick or something hit your 4 lb. trigger and make the gun fire is ridiculous. People who will walk around with a loaded gun off safe will lay the gun down that way. I know of several cases where people have been shot because they dog stepped on the trigger of a gun laid down.

Yes, when I think a bird is about to flush I will close my loaded double, but I don't then do much walking, and the gun is on "safe" with my thumb at the ready to push it off while I am bringing the gun to my shoulder. The rest of the time my shotgun has shells in the chamber, but the action is OPEN. If I need to take a quick shot I can easily close it. To avoid the auto-safety problem, I disable that feature. Yes, the gun could be dropped, close itself in the fall and go off, but I figure that is less likely than getting attacked by a big, nasty animal intent on killing me, because of where I have done most of my bird hunting for the last few decades.

I have hunted birds and/or deer on Kodiak Island dozens of times, but no one in the party ever routinely walked around with a round in the chamber of their long gun. We consider it a stupid thing to do, especially with a CF rifle -- and far more likely to result in a death or serious injury than a surprise attack by a bear, even though bears are definitely there. The idea of walking around places that have no dangerous animals likely to attack with a loaded CF rifle with the safety off is beyond stupid. It is taking a huge risk for what? So a deer doesn't get away? Grow up!

No one I hunt with would even consider hunting with someone who walks around with a chambered round, relying upon their safety and muzzle awareness. We certainly would not go anywhere with someone who routinely walked around with a chambered rifle or shotgun with the safety OFF.

I once had to crawl into the alders to find a grizzly my moose-hunting partner had wounded (when he was attacked) the previous day. You bet the guy in front had a round in his chamber, but the safety was on, thumb on it ready to push it off at the first twig snap or growl. And yes, when I got close enough to smell the stinking thing my safety came off.

So yeah, there are exceptions to everything, but you gotta be sensible. Don't take risks that carry catastrophic results if something goes wrong, or if something unusual happens, and certainly not just to bag a bird or deer you didn't need to kill anyway.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:31 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like many others here I am very careful where I step and where I point the muzzle even while I carry loaded and cocked with the safety on. Also like many others here I have hunted since approximately 8 years old, but now am in my 70's. Even though I have maintained good balance it is not what it used to be as I think many of you can also attest to. I do not fear what I do will cause an accident but that unseen occurrence. This is why I carry on safe and ready for whatever happens.

John
Old 10-18-2019, 02:05 PM
PABear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Round chambered, safety on... always pointed in a safe direction just in case.

Been hunting 62 years, just got home from a 10 day hunt.

Having been shot by one guy that carried his gun with the safety off; I would never hunt with anyone that hunts with the safety off. Neither the gun nor the hunter is safe enough for me.

Just can't thing of a single reason why anyone would carry a gun loaded with the safety "off". If one thinks that taking the safety 'off' when shooting game takes too long, then that guy needs more practice; preferabily alone.

50 years a NRA Hunter Safety Instructor.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:35 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Exclamation "on safe" or action open

I will not hunt with someone carrying a loaded gun "off safe" or "on safe" with their finger on the trigger. Many have said it... no game is worth gambling on SAFETY.
Former Kansas Hunter Safety Instructor