Hunting with a CZ rf - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:27 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hunting with a CZ rf

Do you hunt with a round in the chamber with safety engaged, or do you worry about shooting your foot because you don't use the safety, don't trust it, or don't practice good muzzle control. Al wondered to himself.
All firearms are/should be treated as loaded where I come from.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:47 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Locked ,loaded, safety on. Very aware of my muzzle direction.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I have hunted for over 40 years with the round in the chamber and the safety off. I have never had a firearm go off when I was not ready and I know where the muzzle is pointed at all times...never put your finger on the trigger until your ready to shoot.

Even when bird hunting with a Ruger Red Label which had an automatic safety that was a real pain in the backside because the safety would come on and I would forget when trying to shoot and reload for more birds. I missed a lot with that shotgun.

Signalman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 12:38 AM
JMK
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post

JMK
Old 10-17-2019, 04:13 AM
squirrelsniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Round chambered, safety on... always pointed in a safe direction just in case.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:46 AM
bobnoffs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
occasionally when hunting alone i have the safety off but safety always on when the dog is along or i am with someone. don't kid yourself about being foolproof if you keep the muzzle in a safe direction, a trip and fall is called an accident which can lead to another accident.
bob
Old 10-17-2019, 05:25 AM
jm17
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
89% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post

JMK
Yep!
Old 10-17-2019, 05:28 AM
jm17

TPC Rating: 
89% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
That's what I do.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:05 AM
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my earliest days of squirrel hunting my dad pounded into my head that the only time the safety comes off is when you raise the gun to shoot.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:25 AM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I'm with SM on this one.Round in chamber safety off.Im here my kids are here and my friends are here.Only ones that encountered a problem deer,bear,elk,grouse,rabbit,pheasant,ducks,geese and squirrels
Old 10-17-2019, 07:53 AM
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dogdown View Post
I'm with SM on this one.Round in chamber safety off.Im here my kids are here and my friends are here.Only ones that encountered a problem deer,bear,elk,grouse,rabbit,pheasant,ducks,geese and squirrels
I hope that will still be true after your next hunt.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The argument that a particular shooter hasn't yet shot anyone with his rifle carried in the field with a round in the chamber and the safety off doesn't persuade me that it is a safe practice. A lot of folks have driven a car under the influence and not hurt anyone but that does nothing to recommend it as safe.

I wouldn't hunt with someone who refused to engage the safety on his rifle and, among other things, I would teach anyone new to hunting to always have the safety on when carrying a loaded rifle in the field.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:48 AM
LeonardS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Round in chamber, safety on, but I always walk with my finger on the safety, so I can quickly be ready to shoot. I prefer the Remington style, button safety, just forward of the trigger. Itís the easiest for me to use when hunting.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
The argument that a particular shooter hasn't yet shot anyone with his rifle carried in the field with a round in the chamber and the safety off doesn't persuade me that it is a safe practice. A lot of folks have driven a car under the influence and not hurt anyone but that does nothing to recommend it as safe.

I wouldn't hunt with someone who refused to engage the safety on his rifle and, among other things, I would teach anyone new to hunting to always have the safety on when carrying a loaded rifle in the field.
I agree, I'd be pretty uncomfortable hunting with someone carrying a chambered round over terrain, through the woods, briars and brambles with the safety off. Maybe they don't actually pull the trigger themselves by accident, but a trip and fall, a stick in the trigger guard, or other accident is more needless risk than I'd want to take. It's kind of like the people who don't want to own a CZ rifle due to the backwards-to-them safety. If they can't master that simple thing, I don't want them around me with a loaded gun.

Now, if "hunting" means sitting at a portable rest, shooting ground squirrels or something, that's a bit different. But, I'd still wonder why they can't put the safety on when they're not shooting...
Old 10-17-2019, 08:54 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post