Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:36 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Side jobs.

I'm curious as to what kind of odd jobs y'all have done.

Until I got old and lazy a few years back I usually had a side job or two in addition to my regular work, which has been one or another position in manufacturing...

1. Taught vocational classes at a couple of city colleges.

2. One of my students had a one-man company where he restored vintage race cars. I ended up working for him to recreate unavailable parts from samples, pictures, etc.

3. Did DFM (Design for Manufacture) consulting for a company that produced fitness equipment.

4. Had a small machine shop in my garage where I made prototypes for a couple of inventors.

5. Worked as a casual longshoreman (until I almost got squished by shipping containers a few times). Basically a day-laborer to fill in for jobs not accepted by the union (ILWU) members.

6. My Wife had an arts & crafts business she ran out of our home for ~10 years. I cut wood items for her on my band and scroll saws and finished them on various sanders.

I'm currently working with a friend to make a prototype of a handgun, dies, etc. to fire a wildcat he's dreamed up. I told him it'll never be marketable, but we'll make one just for fun.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:01 AM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tune and repair bicycles. Road bikes mostly, not kid's stuff. My wife is a serious rider so I have a good pool of steady clientele with her friends and teammates. Can't ride anymore myself due to equilibrium problems but I can still make 'em work better than most bike shops.

Cut my teeth in the typewriter business back in the early 70s. Same basic skills apply to bikes, guns, sewing machines and other intricate mechanisms. If only my eyes were 40 years younger...
Old 10-16-2019, 10:10 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tarring roofs to digging ditches, plumbing, to collecting rent from reluctant and combative renters to name but a few doing all the maintenance on business and apt. rentals.
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I work the County Fair as an Alcohol ID checker 12 days/year.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:08 AM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I worked pulp wood cutting to get through grad school. Dangerous job.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:26 PM
retiredsarge48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Worked as a bus boy and dishwasher at the OTS club at Lackland AFB, Stock boy in a dept store, night manager at the Airman'sClub at Dover AFB, a projectionist at a drive-in theater land since retiring I have been helping a friend with his auction business.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do some publishing work for a few farmers. Make their signs for the markets labels and recipe cards mostly. Don't charge a lot do it mostly to keep my brain active because my regular job doesn't require a lot of thinking. It keeps me in Produce and pistachios.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:55 PM
lasttombstone
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Doing nothing now. If I did I wouldn't have time to shoot. But for about 10 years after I retired I had some good time in road racing. I am fortunate to live very close to Virginia International Raceway and got on there as a corner worker in 2001 which let to becoming the Flag Chief and doing Race Control for the majority of the events there. Turned into about a 60 hr./week job. That enabled me to connect with an old friend in Grand American Road Racing who put me on as a Starter for the series and worked the 24 Hr. of Daytona for a number of years in addition to all the other events. That let to the Ferrari Challenge as a pit road guy and then to Race Director for the series. Finally got to see a lot of the country and it was a great time but all that travel just wasn't my cup of tea.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:44 PM
M92pv4u

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I rewire older vehicles and do other mechanic work for my friends. I usually don't change much I enjoy the since of accomplishment I get from fixing things and figuring out what is wrong with them. But I won't cut corners working on things for other people and make that clear before I start a project.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:55 AM
john the plinker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Currently got a side gig at the local seed and feed store. My regular job tends to get a little slow over the winter and last winter was really bad. I don't think I worked over 30 hours/week last year from just after Thanksgiving until the end of March, and this summer was really slow.
Money got a little tight at times so in preparation of the slowdown I thought it would be a good idea to start now. Pay isn't the best there but its easy work and I get a big discount that helps a lot.
In the past I've played bass in a couple of bands, did odd jobs, bar tended, delivered pizza, and who knows what else.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:21 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Worked for an advertising company doing odd jobs:
1) Taking a truck load of brochures to recycle.
2) Do mailers of flyers.
3) They had a bank they did advertising for which gave Bonsai trees to large depositors. That turned into delivering Bonsai trees - it was a lot of fun since these were mostly nice, wealthy people.
4) One of their clients was a woman's clothing store. The clothing store was opening a new location and needed painted. Paid us each $400 (1978 money). That led to delivering boxes of clothes to all their stores. Also got discontinued dresses for $5 - my then girlfriend loved that.

Getting paid is nice, but I've always enjoyed the process itself of making money. Hard to explain but the effort combined with the results was the satisfying part.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:12 PM
ken w.

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Send a message via Yahoo to ken w.
I'll do just about anything to earn a living.
1. Seal driveways
2. Landscaping.
3. Repair small engine
4. Auto repair.
5. Wildlife control.
6. Snow removal.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:44 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I put in about 20 hrs a week to help with our S.S. $$$'s

I do this to pay our rent... working big wood

The mill:

This is a gate way arch going to S/W Wyoming, timbers are 22"x 22"..kind of a custom job

Don't want to mess up here

Maranatha-
pipestone
Old 10-19-2019, 06:02 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (148)
I used to do bolt jeweling. Mostly for the 10/22 crowd. Where I live, I have no other means of doing any side work. Not trained in much of anything else other than gunsmithing, and could never afford the FFL to be able to have entire guns shipped to me.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:49 AM
OldNeatStuff
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many years ago when we were playing around with Corvettes I started selling used and new parts at swap meets.After a few years things got out of hand. A friend that was helping me said we should start a business. So I quit my job at a Buick dealership and we bought a NAPA auto parts store. That was in the late 70's. I then found out how hard it is to own a small business. After 30 years I had bought out my partner and I sold it to a hard working employee (not sure if I did him a favor). Now I just play with my guns. Life is good.