Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:29 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Any recent use of Brownells Receivers?

Good evening,

Does anybody here have any recent experiences with the Brownells 10/22 receivers, barreled or not? I noticed today they have offered their railed heavy threaded barreled receivers for $125 shipped. This is VERY tempting, but the reviews on their site are somewhat less than stellar. I used the search feature here on RFC but the recent results came from over a year ago when they had the receivers with the lightening cuts in them.

Part of me thinks this would be awesome to be the building blocks for a speed steel rifle or a rimfire silhouette rig but if things are still requiring modification to bolts to work I will just go and buy another factory Ruger receiver and call it a day.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:02 AM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have used 5 or so in the past 3 months and they have all been good. Barrel fit tight and finish was nice. I did have to shorten the bolt rail just a tiny bit but its not a big deal to me personally. I have never tried one of their barrels though so i cant speak on that. I like to use green mountain barrels.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2019, 12:29 PM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently put one together using a bunch of Ruger parts that I had from other projects. So far I have shot the smallest 5 shot group I have ever shot with any gun. 0.150 at 25 yards with CCI SV. I have yet to try any high dollar ammo. It is shooting consistently around 0.350 at 50 yards. I think that I will be keeping this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 03:53 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would think if your building a speed rifle, that you would want to keep the weight to a minimum, and not add unnecessary weight by using a steel receiver
Old 10-16-2019, 08:58 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Thanks for the input. I thought the receivers themselves were still aluminum? I'm interested in a bull barrel due to my shaky hands. Originally I set up a carbine with all new parts, but with an older slightly heavier walnut carbine stock, metal trigger group with the VQ parts, VQ bolt components, etc etc and while it shoots awesome from the bench off hand I can't hold it still. I need more weight out front to stay on target. I'm not looking to win anything but to have a more enjoyable rifle that I could shoot comfortably offhand more accurately that what I have now.

I'm thinking of one of the unfinished Boyds pro varmint stocks from Midway as that stock setup fits me pretty good. Two noticeable things that draw me to the Brownells receivers are the integrated rails so I wouldn't have one more thing to bolt down, and the cleaning hole drilled in the back already. Sure, the jig is still out there but to have it already done at a good price doesn't hurt either.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 PM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The reciever is made of 6061 aluminum. I got them without rails as i personally like the option of running an extended rail or one with 20 MOA or something. The cleaning hole is really nice for sure.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:54 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew22 View Post
The reciever is made of 6061 aluminum. I got them without rails as i personally like the option of running an extended rail or one with 20 MOA or something. The cleaning hole is really nice for sure.

sorry, I was thinking of the Kingston steel receivers that have been being talked about recently
Old 10-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Racklover
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like the non-railed receiver is no longer being produced.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:15 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Non railed Brownell receiver

The non railed receivers are still available IF you purchase a barreled receiver. I know , I have purchased two recently, however Brownells won’t sell one without a barrel. You can buy the railed receiver without a barrel. Go figure