Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:00 PM
shogan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage Axis Trigger Job?

My boy has a savage axis and loves everything about the rifle except the 6lb trigger. Thinking of doing the MCarbo trigger spring and shim kit on it. I've done it on a lot of my rimfires but not on a centerfire. 3-4 lb trigger pull would be in keeping with most rifles I have.

Any negative thoughts!
Old 10-15-2019, 09:14 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I have a 12V in .223 with the old trigger and put the Timney trigger in, fully adjustable and sweet operation. Took it down to about 2 1/2 lb. by the trigger pull gauge. I didn't want to go lighter but you can. It's even nice than my newer 12 with the Accu-trigger. E.A. Brown puts them on sale often. Riflebasix makes nice triggers for Savage also.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:03 AM
dotchief
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Timney

is the way to go. I built a rifle for my brother in 6.5 Creedmoor. Trigger did an outstanding job to complete the project.

Pat G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 10:38 AM
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think the Timney trigger is the same thing as the old Savage factory 3 screw trigger. I found one of those at Numrich, and put one on with a lighter return spring and got a bump-test-safe 2 pound trigger on my 110. I believe I paid less than $25 for the trigger (it was around 10 years ago). I don't know much about the Axis rifles, so I don't know if the factory 3 screw trigger would work on them.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:34 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would start with a spring replacement as it will be cheaper to start with. If it doesn't work you can replace the trigger group. My Axis just needed the spring from the hardware store (can't remember what I got) but it was long and Just guessed as to what length to cut and got lucky.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:06 PM
shogan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks for input.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:50 AM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Axis I had (older one) had a spring of two coil diameters, the smaller went into the trigger and the pitch IIRC was 10-24.

Removal of the epoxied in spring damaged it.
Ran a button head 10-24 screw up from the bottom as a post for the new spring to slide over. Also worked as an OK overtravel stop.

Got a couple springs from the hardware store. Not junk ones either (hardwar store even carried common gunsmithing screw sizes).

Had to leave a little overtravel or would need to stone the front of the trigger for sear to sweep clean.

8# junk arsed trigger pull made decent, around 2#.
No adjustment other than spring change though.

But I like a lighter trigger.

Total cost? $2

If you want some adjustment, proly gotta buy the Rifle Basix for $70.
IMHO kinda silly on such a budget rifle.

Stock flex was horrible off bipod. Had to epoxy fill forend. Comb height sucked too, so made cheekpiece. Scalloped bolt handle to clear properly mounted scope.

Bead blasted and Gunkoted.

It looked factory.

Shot half inch groups w 100gr WW .243 regular.

But a bit of work to make a pigs ear into a functional pigs ear.
Dumped it and got a 700 ADL.