TPC Rating: 
95% (19)

X2 here
Old 10-16-2019, 08:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
95% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
When Honda started building cars in the US, people said the quality would go down but it didn't. It didn't because Honda as a global company was not going to let that happen to it's reputation. I had a Japan built Fit and now have a Mexican built Fit. The Mexican one is just as good as the Japanese one. If CZ has a culture of quality, the US plant will be run just as well and produce just as good a gun as in the Czech Republic. If it is a cost cutting exercise by a company that does not value quality it will be inferior. The only way to know is to wait and see what is produced. Speaking of which, when and what rifles or pistols is it expected to produce?
X2 here
Old 10-16-2019, 10:27 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
New Smith and Wesson revolvers just do not command the prices they are asking.
I recently obtained a new Model 66 .357 Combat Magnum with the 2-piece barrel. Fit and finish is excellent. It locks up as tight as and shoots as good as any vintage Model 27 or Python I have ever handled. I don't care for the lock, but it is pretty benign. The only changes I made were a Wolff spring kit and Hogue grips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 12:28 PM
Tailwheel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
I recently obtained a new Model 66 .357 Combat Magnum with the 2-piece barrel. Fit and finish is excellent. It locks up as tight as and shoots as good as any vintage Model 27 or Python I have ever handled. I don't care for the lock, but it is pretty benign. The only changes I made were a Wolff spring kit and Hogue grips.
I'm pleased that you had good luck. The model 63 i purchased was just horrible. I even picked the best out of 5 at my LGS.

Thanks for sharing,

Patrick
Old 10-16-2019, 09:25 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
I'm pleased that you had good luck. The model 63 i purchased was just horrible. I even picked the best out of 5 at my LGS.

Thanks for sharing,
I share your pain. I returned a 63 to S&W under warranty that was replaced with my excellent 66. The 63 had a bad forging and the frame was cracking around the forcing cone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 686AA10D-693D-4E57-ADA2-C69F5DFA7BC5_1_201_a.jpg (187.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Mike_AK; 10-17-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:22 PM
54roundball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just give me a good old piece of US Hickory on that 457 squirrel gun, please
Old 10-17-2019, 07:03 PM
shooter2bill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
When Honda started building cars in the US, people said the quality would go down but it didn't. It didn't because Honda as a global company was not going to let that happen to it's reputation. I had a Japan built Fit and now have a Mexican built Fit. The Mexican one is just as good as the Japanese one. If CZ has a culture of quality, the US plant will be run just as well and produce just as good a gun as in the Czech Republic. If it is a cost cutting exercise by a company that does not value quality it will be inferior. The only way to know is to wait and see what is produced. Speaking of which, when and what rifles or pistols is it expected to produce?
I have owned 5 Honda Accords beginning with a 1980 model. The worst was built at the Marysville plant. Fit and finish was poor.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:07 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2bill View Post
I have owned 5 Honda Accords beginning with a 1980 model. The worst was built at the Marysville plant. Fit and finish was poor.
No manufacturer can bat a thousand all the time, BUT you admit you bought 5 of them! There is probably a good reason you did
Old 10-17-2019, 09:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
BRNO rifles

just to paraphrase what the others have said,
- a quality firearm made in the USA---Yes
- More US Jobs ---yes
- increased domestic manufacturing capability - yes

this is a no brainer, how many other foreign manufacturers can we get to come here
Old 10-17-2019, 11:32 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More jobs and more guns, all we need is more bacon!
Old 10-17-2019, 11:37 PM
JMK
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you build it, the bacon will come.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:39 AM
shootsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
82% (18)
The P-10C is one of the finest shooting I own & just bought 2 for $329/ea OTD
Whatever they build here I hope they use good sharp toolong & better QC as not doing so causes us many issues.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:35 AM
DWS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
Amen brother new machines mean tighter more accurate machining.
Signalman
QC is the critical function not just the +/- of mfg tolerances. its in the mindset from top to bottom. from the actual ownership and top management down to the lowest workers on the floor.
We had a local "major Industry" here the transferred their production from the rust-belt to the sun-belt. production and QC dropped to the point they were almost bankruptured. It took aver 10 years to train the local (non-union) sunbelt employees to the QC mindset level. they had even transferred much of the critical machines, and rebuilt them to new specs. It was the human factor.

Ely rimfire match ammunition is a good example of a rigorous QC control system. a number of on-line sources can be found that explain it in obsessive detail. (Us match 22 rimfire shooters are pretty high on the OC spectrum LOL)
But basically they have a number of parallel production lines. the machinery as identical--except for machine wear. All ammunition is quality checked frequently (QC inspection frequency is another powerful factor). Newly rebuilt to tight spec machines are used for the top-end high-dollar ammunition as they wear in, the constant QC checks show it, and that line is down graded to say, the "lesser b-quality" ammo. As it continues to wear, it gets down-graded to producing the "c" class ammo, and again to the lowest least expensive "d" grade ammo. when that flies out of spec the machine is taken off-line and rebuilt to the specs to produce the class-A ammo. They are always rotating the various production lines with the worst worn in a stage of rebuilding back up to top quality standards.
This level of QC obsession may or may not be applicable on productions lines for bulldozer, cars or mass produced fire arms.

USA production will only be as good as the company can profitably afford and as we the consumers are willing to pay
Old 10-18-2019, 11:51 AM
LatLongLost
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
I agree with the Gladesguy! I live 12 miles from Mexico, go there often, and have personally seen the machining, manufacturing and re-man plants for auto, motorcycle and machine tool items. The plants are spotless, laborers are skilled, and parts very well machined - higher quality than most “foreign” parts.

Of course, each business I’d different in leadership, focus, QC, and base materials used. I just hope CZ maintains, or improves, their quality at a US-based facility.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Allen in MT
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I don't know if some assembly is done here in the sates but McGown Barrels here in Kalispell, MT has made a number of barrels for CZ.