Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:34 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got Caught In Condition White!

I don't want to go into specific detail, but a criminal predator took advantage of the fact I was busy working on something on the ranch to sneak up and steal from my truck when I wasn't looking. Boy these people are brazen. I hate criminals! There is no safe place in California anymore! Thankfully I know what happened due to the magic of video. Otherwise I would have been second guessing where I put stuff for weeks. I need to get another dog! My last dog was pretty quiet but she would have alerted me someone was in the yard. Cameras are great to figure out what happened but they are only useful after the fact when you are already a victim.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:09 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look at it this way, it could be worse. Years back they would have taken the whole truck. In reality, no place was ever safe. Hence the 2nd amendment.

I do agree, a good dog (or two) is worthwhile on many levels.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:10 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I worry about that very thing when I go hunting. I keep thinking a guy should set out a trailcam pointing towards the truck in case someone would break into it.
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 09:51 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A long time ago a hunter I knew parked his car in a turnout and was headed up the hill through some brush to his hunting spot when he saw a car pull up in front of his. He was pretty well hidden. Two guys got out with tool boxes and headed for his car. One in front and one in back. He put a round into the dirt behind the guy trying to get into his trunk. They both dropped everything and took off fast. He got two boxes of tools and a new sport.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:49 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
A long time ago a hunter I knew parked his car in a turnout and was headed up the hill through some brush to his hunting spot when he saw a car pull up in front of his. He was pretty well hidden. Two guys got out with tool boxes and headed for his car. One in front and one in back. He put a round into the dirt behind the guy trying to get into his trunk. They both dropped everything and took off fast. He got two boxes of tools and a new sport.
In California and most other places, that type of action would get YOU prosecuted. Those guys could claim they were just strolling by with their tools and somebody started shooting at them. Unfortunately, the weed business in California has brought in a lot of sketchy characters to harvest the weed and a huge increase in such crimes. My friends in Northern Cali are all complaining they may have to move somewhere else.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Cameras are great to figure out what happened but they are only useful after the fact when you are already a victim.
That's the thing about security cameras -- unless they are being monitored best they can do is help you track down the perp after the fact, and then only if someone recognizes him. Otherwise the image produced by most of them and the fact that you're fishing in the whole population doesn't really narrow it down.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
That's the thing about security cameras -- unless they are being monitored best they can do is help you track down the perp after the fact, and then only if someone recognizes him. Otherwise the image produced by most of them and the fact that you're fishing in the whole population doesn't really narrow it down.
Something to be said for a national facial recognition system to tap into like China. just sayin
Old 10-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Bird-Dog

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
I worry about that very thing when I go hunting. I keep thinking a guy should set out a trailcam pointing towards the truck in case someone would break into it.
Good way to get your trail cam stolen too!
Old 10-15-2019, 11:49 AM
ChefDuane
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ranch? You evil overseer landowner enemy of the people! That poor thief was probably just to feed opioid addiction that was forced upon him by the evil and greedy medical establishment. You should be forced to give up your land to the state for more homeless encampments and pay the opioid addicted individual for forcing him to steal from you!! It IS California after all!!!
Old 10-15-2019, 12:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Something to be said for a national facial recognition system to tap into like China. just sayin
Had a car stolen on, got video feed of it and an identity of the thief. Cops wouldn't press charges as the father of said thief had a good lawyer and our DA is so pathetic. Issue rarely is knowing identity, but the need for some kind of justice.

Keep the Chinese system out, keep your privacy, until there is actual Law enforcement no point in government spying.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:25 PM
fugawe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I have the Nest home cameras. They notify me when they are triggered no matter where I am in real(4-5 second delay) time. I can pull up the camera's view from wherever I am. If I buy a subscription(about $10 a month) they will record everything, 24/7. They record very clear video in all conditions. They do require 120v power and WIFI.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:40 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm with your guy JTJ. I was shooting at a deer....musta missed. Who would know anyway.

BIL, was a builder, kept a box loaded with tools behind the cab. Went into Home Depot....guy caught him and began asking questions about what plumbing he needed for a simple job. Long story short....saw my BIL get out of construction truck, followed him in, kept him busy while his buddies pulled up next to his truck and cleaned it out. Perp in the store had his phone with undoubtedly was on line to the perps in the lot and he would have warned them if my BIL was heading out of the store. I'm suspicious of everyone, even though I try to be helpful. Sad state of affairs. 1917
Old 10-15-2019, 03:02 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Put an alarm in it and lock it when you're not in it, reality bites.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:40 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He tried to steal the car..... with my truck key set. I'm lucky he didn't notice my new 452 Varmint sitting on the passenger side of the truck and decide to walk off with it. I got very lucky he also left the keys......
Old 10-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry for your situation. It’s bsd enough that you lost some stuff, but the feeling of vulnerability is worse. Yes get a dog. Loyal and always got your back. According to Fbi stats crime is down. But that’s probably not true