Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:23 PM
Borto1990

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
unertl

Hi Guys, I am still looking for a Unertl or something similar for my father. I was on here like 3 years ago and everyone kinda steered me towards a T36 for my dads redone Martini 22lr. he is 83 now. he really wasn't very interested in the look of a T36. This rifle is what he shot match with when he was a boy. He had a chance to buy the 20x unertl that was his coaches that he let use for 25 bucks back then but couldn't afford it.. so I am on the hunt again. Looking again at unertl, I saw some that said missing cross hairs? for 22 bench is there a certain cross hair I am looking for? I'm assuming fine? I've looked up for lyman super target spot and also redfield 3200. He would really like a unertl, but would be OK with the Lyman I assume as well. before there was mention if his eyesight would be OK. but honestly I thinking seeing his rifle of his youth complete would be more satisfying. I found a site by a guy named Greiner or something like that. but after 2 weeks has not returned any messages. Im watching here, gunbroker, ebay. any other places I should keep an eye on? He would love a 20x, if I can find one in the budget. but from what I see 15x is looking closer to my speed.

thanks everyone for any info...

Tony
Old 10-14-2019, 09:46 PM
elohssa63
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
Tony, there is a 12X for sale here in the trading post. Kinda pricey though. You may want to put a Want to Buy add in the trading post and see if anything surfaces. Good luck, Les
Old 10-14-2019, 10:05 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure what your budget is, but the Unertls (and Super Targetspots) in good shape are bringing good prices. They show up regularly on Ebay. Several 20X scopes have sold recently, but be prepared to pay for one. A 15X can be had for a little less....lower powers are proportionally lower. But if you've been watching ebay, you can see what the prices are.

Crosshairs for target shooting generally are the fine crosshairs or small dot.....depending on one's eyesight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 11:04 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Just sos ya know, a nice condition Unertl is gonna costya, unless ya have the luck of my Irish friend who always seems to find the great deals. And they steadily continue to appreciate.
Dewey Greiner can be hard to get ahold of, might try calling? Lots of good info on his site and his prices are fair.
A 10 or 12 power with fine 'hairs/dot will be suitable for 50yd bench if your father can see the dot. He might be better with fine to med 'hairs'? My 1 1/4" target, early (3 digit sn) 10X is ultra-fine/dot and at 66 with some eye issues I can barely make it out but my oh my, is it ever sweet. Not the thing for poor light conditions though. Amazing scope for what is likely from the first couple of years J. Unertl started making them.
The Lyman Target Spots, Super Target Spots, the Feckers (Fecker worked for Unertl prior to going on his own), etc. would still perform well and 'give the look' he may like with a bit lower price of entry.
Dont get one with missing 'hairs or 'needs cleaning', he may be gone before you get it back and it, too, will cost big.
It is important that you look for one (or any target ext. adj. model) with the proper adj. mounts for the small target scope blocks and be aware there are 3 different lock-down screws for those bases, the tapered tip Win. type, the 'cup' type and the cylindrical lug POSA type. They are NOT interchangeable though some blocks have one of two of the types on each side so they can be turned about. Matching the lock-down to what he already has will be best otherwise you may be paying $20 per block to make what you buy fit.

Last edited by gcrank1; 10-14-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:14 AM
jimc00

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Unertl scopes have a machined tube with 4 small screws that hold the wires for the reticle. It is easily accessible to break or repair by removing the eyepiece. If the wires are broken, you can replace the wires yourself. You need tungsten wire and there was a seller on Gunbroker who had it in different diameters. Forget about doing a dot reticle yourself. As previously mentioned, scope blocked are available from Steve Earle Products. They are good quality and prices start at $20.

I have a 10X that I replaced the reticle on on a 1922 Springfield. I also have a 14X that was on a 40XB that I moved to a 1942 Springfield replica. For 80 year old technology, they work great.

Some of the internal lenses are glued together with a glue that is made from pine pitch. If the lenses are cloudy or separate, they can be cleaned and reassembled with an optical grade epoxy but that is probably not a job for an amateur like me.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Lots of great information was put out here. I can only add that broken crosshairs aren't the worst thing and that they can be repaired by several places if you don't want to tackle it. My concern when buying old Unertls and Lymans is the overall condition of the scope body and do all the adjustments work properly. Next is the lens condition. Lens separation is a big deal and many places don't want to deal with it anymore. The glass gets more fragile as it gets older so it makes it more difficult to repair. If you should find one with broken crosshairs the buy in should be much less than a scope with crosshairs. FYI, 20X and higher power Unertl scopes bring a premium today so see if a lower power would be acceptable. Good prices can be found on 15X and lower powers. And remember too that you probably want the 3/4" size main tube scope style from the sound of it. There is a larger main tube scope also available, but it is probably not what was used back in the day.

Rick H.

Last edited by Rick H.; 10-16-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:16 AM
simpletom
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I picked up a 15x at a gunshow last year for $500. It's a 1" tube, which is my preference over the 3/4". Bottom line, keep looking and have money in your pocket when you find one.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:43 PM
Borto1990

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
whats the difference in the 3/4 vs 1 inch tube? advantages or disadvantages? are there certain serial number ranges I should look for or stay away from? I can't find anything online about serial number info or date codes. I found a 20x from a guy locally. its a 1 1/2 inch with 3/4 tube. Looks pretty clean. has caps and a case for 750
Old 10-17-2019, 10:33 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The bigger the tube the 'brighter' the scope will be given it is good, clean optics. Same with bigger 'bells' even on the 3/4". Ime even the 7/8" tubes are a noticeable improvement.
Fwiw, I dont hunt early mornings or late day with a 3/4" scope anymore so my early target Unertl is fine though on a heavy overcast I could wish for more. Fact is I am not going to matches where I have to shoot in less than ideal conditions so it doesnt matter.

Last edited by gcrank1; 10-19-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:44 AM
simpletom
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
gcrank is right, and I favor my two 1" tubes. The 3/4" are the traditional, nostalgic, unertl's, but the brightness and clarity in the 1" tube wins every time.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:08 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borto1990 View Post
whats the difference in the 3/4 vs 1 inch tube? advantages or disadvantages? are there certain serial number ranges I should look for or stay away from? I can't find anything online about serial number info or date codes. I found a 20x from a guy locally. its a 1 1/2 inch with 3/4 tube. Looks pretty clean. has caps and a case for 750
The bigger 1" maintube also makes for a bigger and somewhat heavier scope. The 1" does have better light gathering, but if you are looking for the type of scope your Dad had you should ask him if he used the 3/4" or 1" tube. If the 20X scope you saw looks nice and everything works on it along with a good image I would jump on it. $750.00 is cheap for a 20X Unertl these days. The speculators have gone crazy on high power Unertl scopes lately.

Rick H.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Borto1990

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
The bigger 1" maintube also makes for a bigger and somewhat heavier scope. The 1" does have better light gathering, but if you are looking for the type of scope your Dad had you should ask him if he used the 3/4" or 1" tube. If the 20X scope you saw looks nice and everything works on it along with a good image I would jump on it. $750.00 is cheap for a 20X Unertl these days. The speculators have gone crazy on high power Unertl scopes lately.

Rick H.
thats exactly what I did.. he shot a 20x 3/4 tube best he could remember 67 years ago. it's not for hunting, it's for nice days on the range so light gathering really isn't a issue. he was an olympic caliber shooter when he was young. just didn't have the money to continue at that age. Soooo, he is super excited. Thanks everyone for the help and the private messages. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:47 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Im 66 and would be thrilled if my son or g-sons would do something like this for me (even though Ive never been your dad's class of shooter).
Goodonya Big Time
My encouragement to him is to start at the bench and not be disappointed if he doesnt shoot as well as he remembers he used to (we old guys cant do a lot of things like we used to....) but it can, and will, get better.
Suppose now you are going to have to buy him some Eley 10X......
Old 10-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Winnut
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc00 View Post
The Unertl scopes have a machined tube with 4 small screws that hold the wires for the reticle. It is easily accessible to break or repair by removing the eyepiece. If the wires are broken, you can replace the wires yourself. You need tungsten wire and there was a seller on Gunbroker who had it in different diameters. Forget about doing a dot reticle yourself. As previously mentioned, scope blocked are available from Steve Earle Products. They are good quality and prices start at $20.

I have a 10X that I replaced the reticle on on a 1922 Springfield. I also have a 14X that was on a 40XB that I moved to a 1942 Springfield replica. For 80 year old technology, they work great.

Some of the internal lenses are glued together with a glue that is made from pine pitch. If the lenses are cloudy or separate, they can be cleaned and reassembled with an optical grade epoxy but that is probably not a job for an amateur like me.
The lenses back then were cemented with Canada Balsam. They can be fixed by taking the lenses apart, cleaning and then use Norland Optical Adhesive 61 to put them back together.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:07 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnut View Post
The lenses back then were cemented with Canada Balsam. They can be fixed by taking the lenses apart, cleaning and then use Norland Optical Adhesive 61 to put them back together.
Could you possibly share a little information/details on how you separate the lens elements and clean them and perhaps a little more on how the optical adhesive is used to cement the lenses back together....maybe some do's and don'ts? I have several of the Unertls and can see the possibility of this becoming useful information for me and others like me down the road.