CZ 457 or Ruger 77/22 or Browning T bolt???? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:24 AM
JDLalFleur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
sir it sounds to me like your Ruger bound...the CZ rifles starting with the 452 and 455 and 457 is the latest model and the 452 is nice and shiny the 455 not as much and the 457 is totally different but all three of them are not the flat black that Remington puts on the Express shotgun which in my opinion is a junk finish. The T-bolt is nice wood and blue but the trigger will probably be a problem depending on what you like.

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman
I have found a wood/blued 77/22 for $300 locally, but it has been used some. Its not new but its in really good shape. I may just jump on it due to the price and rat hole it regardless the route I go.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:38 AM
FyrepowrX
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
i have a slight "squirrel rifle" addiction and currently own all of those rifles you mentioned in your posts on this thread...77/22's, T-Bolts, 541-T's, Cz's, Kimbers, Anschutz, plus some not mentioned.

The T-Bolts are nice rifles; to me they feel good, carry nicely, own 3 of them now.....but overall they are challenging to shoot well, because of their poor factory trigger design. Its hard to hold a 5-1/2# rifle steady on target properly when the trigger pull as-issued was more than the rifle weighed. So, if you get a T-Bolt, the trigger fix isn't as cheap. Other than that, mine shoot well, just have to really make a more conscious effort to make that happen. The mag system feeds reliably, but the actions were a bit stiff at first...they seemed to smooth up after use. Stock dimensions feel good to me.

my CZ's, on the other hand, with a very minimal trigger tinkering & a cheap trigger kit are easy to shoot great ....And, once in a while, if you are looking for a nice wood stocked rifle, they DO let some slip out that are really good looking guns. (But you gotta be quick, because Signalman snatches up all the good ones).

And, maybe i've been lucky, but overall all have functioned well, and its been easy to find very accurate ammo choices.

if Kimber or Anschutz are on the menu, they ARE highly recommended rifles, but that does come at a price. For what its worth, most gun guys will probably say they've never regretted buying GOOD stuff... though i have regretted buying cheap stuff a few times.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:31 AM
JDLalFleur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX View Post
i have a slight "squirrel rifle" addiction and currently own all of those rifles you mentioned in your posts on this thread...77/22's, T-Bolts, 541-T's, Cz's, Kimbers, Anschutz, plus some not mentioned.

The T-Bolts are nice rifles; to me they feel good, carry nicely, own 3 of them now.....but overall they are challenging to shoot well, because of their poor factory trigger design. Its hard to hold a 5-1/2# rifle steady on target properly when the trigger pull as-issued was more than the rifle weighed. So, if you get a T-Bolt, the trigger fix isn't as cheap. Other than that, mine shoot well, just have to really make a more conscious effort to make that happen. The mag system feeds reliably, but the actions were a bit stiff at first...they seemed to smooth up after use. Stock dimensions feel good to me.

my CZ's, on the other hand, with a very minimal trigger tinkering & a cheap trigger kit are easy to shoot great ....And, once in a while, if you are looking for a nice wood stocked rifle, they DO let some slip out that are really good looking guns. (But you gotta be quick, because Signalman snatches up all the good ones).

And, maybe i've been lucky, but overall all have functioned well, and its been easy to find very accurate ammo choices.

if Kimber or Anschutz are on the menu, they ARE highly recommended rifles, but that does come at a price. For what its worth, most gun guys will probably say they've never regretted buying GOOD stuff... though i have regretted buying cheap stuff a few times.
Anschutz or a Cooper would be a dream rifle for sure, may take me some time to save up for one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Lance Boyle
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelsniper View Post
The Browning is a beautiful rifle. In every other way, the CZ 457 is better. I don't think the 77/22 is a contender in either respect. You'll just have to decide which you want, pretty or functional.

My 77/22 blue walnut shoots very well. I bought it used in excellent shape a long time ago. I did have both 77/22 triggers cleaned up by my smith. The LR blue walnut gun is more consistent than my .22 mag stainless boatpaddle. I think it is the .22 magnum ammo that is more an issue. Older .22 Winchester loads were great. The last couple boxes of the same ammo did not compare accuracy wise.

I have always like the t bolts but stayed away due to the old salted stocks. The new one and that magazine and bad trigger has kept from buying yet another .22 I donít need.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:45 AM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Why not consider a used 452.You can always find one.Then do a spring swap for a few nickles.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:49 AM
whtsmoke
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to whtsmoke
CZ 457, good trigger, good oal quality and swap bbl, aftermarket stocks, what else would you want
Old 10-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Lovemesomecz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I cant talk about the T-bolt.....only that its a gorgeous rifle the Ruger I had was a great barrel with a terrible trigger , it became a cz as soon as I found someone that wanted it , my 457 is fast becoming a favorite , only problem is its my ladyfriends favorite !
Old 10-14-2019, 07:39 PM
JDLalFleur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A lot of love for the CZ here.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:51 PM
theburg2014
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love my T-Bolt. Its fast to cycle & it loves Wolf Ammo. It's my go to squirrel gun. Has a Leupold 2x7x28mm on her. Found a lot of Wolf Match Target that she likes & purchased 10k. My Ruger 77/22 in .22lr was a dog. I tried everything. Trigger work, two different stocks, bolt tightening kits. Nothing worked. My 77/17WSM is a dream. Didn't like the way the CZ 457 American in .22lr bore looked when I went to pick her up. I'll stick to my 455 Varmint & my 452 American.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:58 PM
nlvmike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like JD said, a lot of love for CZ's here. I understand that nitride is probably a better finish, but every time I pull out one of my 452's, I can't get over the classic good looks of them. Add to that the smooth function, trigger, and accuracy and I think they are the finest around.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:06 PM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Can't speak for the T-bolt, but I do own a first year 77/22 walnut and blued steel that shoots better than my 457 American, but not as well as my 452 American. It is a fine rifle and I love that it uses the ten round 10/22 mags. If I could find one around here in good conditon for 3 bills I'd be all over it. I do love the 457 with its long slender barrel, though, and the trigger on it is pretty sweet after a little tweaking.
Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. (At the price of the Ruger, both should certainly be an option!)
Old 10-17-2019, 07:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have two of the new T bolts with Jard triggers and a mint Belgium from the 60s. All shoot right there with any of our CZs, but the new T bolts are expensive, compared to a 457 and when you add a Jard trigger ($200+), they are very expensive. Worth it to us because we enjoy that T bolt action, but considering any CZ is an easy fix on the trigger and all you need to do on the 457 is use the factory adjustments, the CZ is definitely the better value.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:45 PM
razerface
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own all of those rifles you like.
The 541T ,,,,you would love it if you like ruger 77ís. Find a 541s if you like pretty rifles and want a slimmer barrel.

The browning T bolt has to have the trigger replaced, but i like mine a lot. Nice thing about the browning, is the weight and size. I am getting older. That browning is small and light! Carry squirrel hunting,,excellent.

The 77, you already know about. My %%%%% with that rifle is me having to crawl up the stock to see thru the scope. Heavy too. Nice full size though.

CZ rifles are boring. I have a couple. They shoot good.

Kimber, (of oregon) find an 82. Great rifle but harder to find in condition i would accept. Shoots great and will not be for sale till i die. Getting expensive when you find them.

There are soooo many out there that i like!
Old 10-17-2019, 08:48 PM
skulick
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Recent Guns and Ammo review of new T-bolt model

Review is kind of a joke. Accuracy tests at 50 yards in chart show the rifle is basically at 2.0"+ at that range with most if not all ammo. Then the text describes hitting a PD at 250 yards??? Poor thing must have run into the bullet.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:42 PM
UltimaThule

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLalFleur View Post
I have found a wood/blued 77/22 for $300 locally, but it has been used some. Its not new but its in really good shape. I may just jump on it due to the price and rat hole it regardless the route I go.
Iíd be all over that deal!