CZ 457 or Ruger 77/22 or Browning T bolt???? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:17 PM
JDLalFleur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ 457 or Ruger 77/22 or Browning T bolt????

Howdy fellas!! I am new to the group here but have been on 24 hr Campfire for a while. I have recently had the urge to buy me a new 22 lr to squirrel hunt with. I currently own 2 SS ruger 77/22's in 22 LR and 22 WMR. I want a wood and blued classic looking rifle for some reason now. Both my Rugers shoot excellent and I really love them both. But I want a wood and blue model. I am currently looking at the new CZ 457 or another ruger 77/22. I already have mags for the ruger so thats a plus. The CZ comes with a longer barrel and a factory adjustable trigger, and is very easy on the eyes with a 60 deg bolt throw. I also like the idea of the straight pull bolt on the Browning T bolt, but seems there triggers a more costly to tune. Can anyone give me their personal experience with the CZ or Browning?
Old 10-13-2019, 08:22 PM
Gumshoe
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The CZ 457 does not have a blue steel finish. It is a Nitrate finish.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:33 PM
Rmeintel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Browning T-bolt in the blond maple stock is gorgeous. That being said I have only shot one and it was a newer one. The guy who let me shoot it said the trigger had been worked on. The trigger was horrible. It was mushy and seemed like it was very very heavy. The action was pretty neat but wasn’t very smooth. But man was it gorgeous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 08:37 PM
JDLalFleur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe View Post
The CZ 457 does not have a blue steel finish. It is a Nitrate finish.
That's a bummer
Old 10-13-2019, 08:48 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The OP better go look for himself. I though the T Bolt felt smooth and looked good, but the bottom metal (trigger guard is plastic and it uses an odd ball magazine) I may try one some day. I may not.

The 457 finish is not real blue, but it looks ok. I prefer the old 452 finish, but the 457 is ok compared to the 455 semi-matt like blue. The OP really needs to look for him self.

Does Ruger even make a 77/22 any more?

There is a whole universe of older guns that actually are classic. That maybe outside the scope of this post. That includes old model CZ, Brno, t-bolt and Rugers. And used, some pretty nice Anschutz get more affordable.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:00 PM
JDLalFleur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
The OP better go look for himself. I though the T Bolt felt smooth and looked good, but the bottom metal (trigger guard is plastic and it uses an odd ball magazine) I may try one some day. I may not.

The 457 finish is not real blue, but it looks ok. I prefer the old 452 finish, but the 457 is ok compared to the 455 semi-matt like blue. The OP really needs to look for him self.

Does Ruger even make a 77/22 any more?

There is a whole universe of older guns that actually are classic. That maybe outside the scope of this post. That includes old model CZ, Brno, t-bolt and Rugers. And used, some pretty nice Anschutz get more affordable.
I have a local option for the wood and blue 77/22. I also like the looks of the Remington 541-T and the Kimber classic. The CZ was really the best priced locally for the options. CZ 542's can still be found around the web.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the look of nitride. Don’t have a 457, but do have other firearms with it. Is a satin black finish, much more rust resistant than blue. Take a look at one before you scratch it off your list.

If you already have a couple of Rugers, I would want something different, but maybe that’s just me. Tbolts are nicely finished and lightweight. The CZ will probably outshoot it, but the Tbolt is plenty accurate for hunting. Hopefully you can find a gun store with both and can compare them. One will likely standout to you.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:20 PM
JDLalFleur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacR View Post
I like the look of nitride. Donít have a 457, but do have other firearms with it. Is a satin black finish, much more rust resistant than blue. Take a look at one before you scratch it off your list.

If you already have a couple of Rugers, I would want something different, but maybe thatís just me. Tbolts are nicely finished and lightweight. The CZ will probably outshoot it, but the Tbolt is plenty accurate for hunting. Hopefully you can find a gun store with both and can compare them. One will likely standout to you.
Both are on the shelf locally for me. and in the end I may just get one of each lol
Old 10-13-2019, 09:37 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Black nitride is a far superior finish compared to bluing.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:53 PM
newbie2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The Browning is a nice rifle but a horrible trigger that not much can be done to improve. CZ has better trigger out of the box. Both are accurate rifles.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:09 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jard sells a good replacement trigger for the T-Bolt. I like it and it was an easy swap
Old 10-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Srb08

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own all three and a Rem 541-T HB.
The T-bolt is the prettiest but its beauty ends there.
My 457 V and 452 lux, both in .22lr will outshoot the Browning all day every day.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:33 PM
squirrelsniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Browning is a beautiful rifle. In every other way, the CZ 457 is better. I don't think the 77/22 is a contender in either respect. You'll just have to decide which you want, pretty or functional.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:39 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I have a CZ 452 American and a Ruger 77/22. Worked the CZ trigger a bit and its nice. The 77/22 I put in a Volquartsen sear and spring and its great. No experience with the T bolt. The Ruger I did have to go with high rings for the bolt throw but it works nice now.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLalFleur View Post
Howdy fellas!! I am new to the group here but have been on 24 hr Campfire for a while. I have recently had the urge to buy me a new 22 lr to squirrel hunt with. I currently own 2 SS ruger 77/22's in 22 LR and 22 WMR. I want a wood and blued classic looking rifle for some reason now. Both my Rugers shoot excellent and I really love them both. But I want a wood and blue model. I am currently looking at the new CZ 457 or another ruger 77/22. I already have mags for the ruger so thats a plus. The CZ comes with a longer barrel and a factory adjustable trigger, and is very easy on the eyes with a 60 deg bolt throw. I also like the idea of the straight pull bolt on the Browning T bolt, but seems there triggers a more costly to tune. Can anyone give me their personal experience with the CZ or Browning?
sir it sounds to me like your Ruger bound...the CZ rifles starting with the 452 and 455 and 457 is the latest model and the 452 is nice and shiny the 455 not as much and the 457 is totally different but all three of them are not the flat black that Remington puts on the Express shotgun which in my opinion is a junk finish. The T-bolt is nice wood and blue but the trigger will probably be a problem depending on what you like.

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman