Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-13-2019, 03:37 PM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shooting at 25 Yards

It's generally fairly windy in my part of the country, but the last month or so has been particularly windy. Actually it's not the wind, but the wind direction that causes problems. Usually, the wind at my range is in my face or at my back and doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in group size. Lately it has been a crosswind every time I go out to shoot. I say all of that to preface the following question. What can you learn from a 25 yard group? I recently purchased a Winchester re-issue M52 Sporter and wanted to get an idea of how it was shooting. Today I took it out with my CZ452 American (which I know shoots very, very well) and compared the two at 25 yards, with a few groups at 50. The M52 did as well and probably better than the CZ under the atmospheric conditions I was faced with today. Is that an indicator that it shoots as well as the CZ? If so, I will be quite happy with the purchase. Sorry to be so wordy, but what are your thoughts on the issue?
Old 10-13-2019, 04:21 PM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
What can you learn from a 25 yard group?
1. Whether one stinks shooting offhand.
2. Whether you need to keep looking for different ammunition or do something else to your rifle.
3. For a pistol with iron sights, quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
The M52 did as well and probably better than the CZ under the atmospheric conditions I was faced with today. Is that an indicator that it shoots as well as the CZ?
Yes.

I've shot in some fairly stiff cross winds, but was able to get decent accuracy out to 100 yards because the wind was constant. If the wind varies in speed and direction, that's much harder.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:02 PM
azimuth

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I've shot in some fairly stiff cross winds, but was able to get decent accuracy out to 100 yards because the wind was constant. If the wind varies in speed and direction, that's much harder.
I think you're right about this. It was gusting somewhere between 10-18 mph. About the time I pulled the trigger a gust would come up and move me, the rifle and the bullet. I guess I'll just have to wait for a calmer day to find out how it really shoots. At least it functioned perfectly and the trigger was fantastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 06:50 PM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile

It's hard to really tell much at 25 yards. Even crappy ammo won't be a lot bigger group that high dollars stuff. I'll tell you this though, even at 50 feet or a bit over 16 yards shooting indoors, we used Remington Standard velocity for practice and league matches but Eley 10X in registered matches. But I will admit a brick of 10X back then was only $18.00.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:24 PM
HJB
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sometimes shoot a pistol at 25 yards just for the heck of it, but don't pay too much attention to the results for any kind of learning or improvement.

I shoot mostly at 10 meters (11 yards) or at 15 yards to gauge my shooting skill and accuracy. I just don't imagine that I would ever feel the need to shoot at someone who is 75 feet away with iron sights on a .22 pistol. I don't shoot much with my 9mm at 25 yards either.

15 yards gives me plenty of challenge for my skill level.