The Watering Hole 10-14-2019 - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 12:02 AM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Had a very nice dinner with YWC tonight. Fancy restaurant. Great food! Overall, a great night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
I can't believe you flipped in the middle of a Saint's game.

Sorry about that. It won't happen again!

R
Old 10-14-2019, 03:47 AM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
Cow seeds: ..

You KNOW I'd have some...

I never doubted it for a moment. Whot is the preferred method of germination?
--

Its 65 outside at the moment & Jack & I may just go back outside and enjoy the evening for a while longer yet. Quite pleasant, actually. Winds are light & SE and skies are a mottled blue-black to almost iridescent green grackle rather than being mostly cloudy as the unimaginative folks at the weather weasel academy are inclined to label them. Its funny how werd choice affects peoples' moods and those clowns go around depressing folks all the time, ya know. But then look at whot 'they' are doing to our holidays and history w/revisionism, bad juju and rubber chickens.

I'm eating an apple a day while they are in season and tasty. Call it a small contribution to the economy. Mostly red delicious. And I like how they polish up.

That's a really finely coloured sugar maple, Al. A good dose of fall colour goes a long way toward well being, IMHO.

Did your SIL field dress that arrowed doe & butcher it himself or take it to a processor, mdew? Idle curiosity & all that. Wish that I had a Bambi for the larder, but have taken no steps, as of yet, to procure one.

Was speaking w/a friend during the past week whose son is best friends w/some guides that work along the Red River doing a lot of feral hog hunting and he was telling me that the rattlesnakes are learning not to rattle as it gives them away to the hogs who will quickly kill and eat them once discovered. Thot it an interesting observation of nature evolving for survival and also disturbing, where men and dogs are concerned. Guides have been finding non-rattling rattlers w/increasing frequency during the dove season. Something to be aware of. Feral hog numbers are continuing to increase. It is good lean pork, best when from a shoat or not overly large sow. I may go & take one, once it hard freezes the brush and brambles back. Have been eating store bought pork loin w/silver removed and whacked into thick steaks that eats fine, but it won't replace fresh feral hog sausage w/some venison in it.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:13 AM
Frank Eagles
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Morning. Off to ride the bus with all the dignitaries. [just think, will not have to do his soon] 64 degrees. May have stopped raining. Haven't been outside.

COW eggs. Hummmm

Maple trees are beautiful in the fall. My buddy in Canada [now deceased] use to tell me about syrup time up there. Contests and lots of food from maple syrup. He would always bring me cans of real maple syrup for my waffles and pan cakes. Not the stuff you buy in the gros down here.

Enjoy the day.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:57 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good Morning RFC'rs, et al:

My last Monday in the Big Easy for a couple of weeks. Today is a day of toil at the LGS, as usual.

Tomorrow, I plan on getting on the road early. Like 0400 early. If I don't. then I might as well wait until 0800 due to traffic, both in NOLA and in Baton Rouge.

I'm mostly packed, except for things like electronics, chargers and meds.

Y'all be gud.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:02 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
MI DNR biologist had a bit of chatter on a local "Ask The DNR Live" toob show about hunting em but it seems to have been tabled again. At least they didn't call em song birds like they do our protected mourning doves. They are an invasive pest to corn farmers here by gobbling the tender corn shoots in the spring leaving great bare areas in the corn fields. There was no mention of the permits issued to snipers to thin their numbers.
Sounds more like the damage that snow geese do around here; with very lenient seasons and bag limits in order to reduce numbers.
So. MI has a sandhill crane season, or were you talking about doves? FWIW, certain sports here have been pushing for a dove season for many years. I'm sure that will happen . . . .

when NY becomes a red state.

Quote:
When the Finn says my hair is starting to look good its off to the groomer.

I know, right!?

Oh, I prune the hair around the tops of the ears a few times while the rest grows back some.
Doesn't everyone?
Old 10-14-2019, 08:29 AM
Tex45LC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
mornin' y'all.

Cow seeds...now I might have really seen it all. What kinda cow sprouts from 'em anyway?

The folks live on 1/2 acre with my lazy brother and they needed help around the place. Vines up & over the back fence ain't there any more & also did the fence perimeter & ditches out front. That gas weedeater sure makes the green fly but my shoulder is letting me know it wasn't a fan of holding it up to do across the top of the back fence. I reckon coffee & aspirin will fix the shoulder.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:08 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Sounds more like the damage that snow geese do around here; with very lenient seasons and bag limits in order to reduce numbers.
So. MI has a sandhill crane season, or were you talking about doves?
We can hunt neither the red headed cranes or doves, legally. Most recently several Yoopers got busted for shooting two swans. As they probably taste like geese they are safe from me.

Sunny 31˚ w still air
Old 10-14-2019, 10:35 AM
wookness

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Its cooled to 62 at dawn and staying there under uniformly grey skies w/a high ceiling. Not unpleasant even tho the RH is staying high

Idly wondering who might win the postponed Talladega NASCAR race this afternoon. Won't be able to watch it in any case; not pony'd up for the added cost subscriptions. Bad enough to be subjected to the unending nauseous ads & bobble heads on regular TV during a sports event as it is. I'll just Czech later and find out who did whot as I putter about playing Elmer the X-dresser, hunting dust bunnies disguised as a house maid.

Thinking to do some more reloading as well. Perhaps get 'round tuit later. Mostly just glad to be here, on this Columbus Day.

Recall seeing a pair of Trumpeter Swans cross a vast valley in Utah one fall afternoon when jumping some ponds for puddle ducks w/my old main hunting bud. That was in the early 80's, but I don't recall the exact year. The wonder of that sight remains indelible in my mind's eye. We both knew that we were blessed to have had the experience. Not something seen but perhaps once in a lifetime and the scenery was picture perfect, for those few minutes as they flew to within perhaps a hundred yards of us before their path gained more distance and they became but a speck that disappeared, much as they had appeared to begin with, in that wide open space.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:50 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
View from the 'hood (as of 0715 this AM)

The colors were not too brilliant or I'da been there still

42 degrees out.

Drive safe, Don ...

All is well on the PNW front

Life is good!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 10-14-2019, 11:15 AM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Tens of thousands of them migrate into the valley down below me for the winter. They spend the evenings in the wetlands that develop during the late-summer/fall monsoon and spend the days in the corn fields. The racket they make is unbelievable.
Well, if they have a season, and really are "ribeye in the sky"' you can sorta put a dent in the racket they make......one at a time.

Maybe it's a little odd for Kentucky, but I never thought of eating them before. Frog legs? Yep. Snapping turtle? OH yeah! Various and sundry other critters? Why, sure! Cranes? Who knew?

You posted a pic of javelina you had cut up a few years ago. Looked good to me. Maybe you can be persuaded to try that there ribeye in the sky and report back?
Old 10-14-2019, 11:20 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Back from a quick and dirty breezy range trip, and wondering if there will be any vacation photos from Don with Wook a la' the Uncle Ron trip.

Quote:
We can hunt neither the red headed cranes or doves, legally. Most recently several Yoopers got busted for shooting two swans. As they probably taste like geese they are safe from me.

Sunny 31˚ w still air
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness;11638229[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue

Recall seeing a pair of Trumpeter Swans cross a vast valley in Utah one fall afternoon when jumping some ponds for puddle ducks w/my old main hunting bud. That was in the early 80's, but I don't recall the exact year. The wonder of that sight remains indelible in my mind's eye. We both knew that we were blessed to have had the experience. Not something seen but perhaps once in a lifetime and the scenery was picture perfect, for those few minutes as they flew to within perhaps a hundred yards of us before their path gained more distance and they became but a speck that disappeared, much as they had appeared to begin with, in that wide open space.
[/COLOR]
No crane or dove season here either, but lots and lots of opportunity for goose slaughter. (BTW, goose make very good jerky or "Slim Jims")

We have both cranes and Trumpeter swans nesting up at Montezuma NWR and the adjoining state WMA. It's a joy to see them, at ground level or in flight, especially when they are raising young.

And then there are the ubiquitous, aggressive, invasive, non-native mute swans.

I saw my first pronghorns this summer and thought that was pretty neat too.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 10-14-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:56 AM
flyingsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Stopped at local hardware/gun store. Most interesting Sig SAS. Compact with fiat top and ported. Single trillium dot built in to the rear of the slide with light enhancing fibers 3/4". All flush and was so new they didn't have it priced. Going back
Old 10-14-2019, 12:23 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404tbang View Post
Well, if they have a season, and really are "ribeye in the sky"' you can sorta put a dent in the racket they make......one at a time. ... Maybe you can be persuaded to try that there ribeye in the sky and report back?
We do have a season on them with tags issued via lottery just like big game tags. Never even thought about bothering with them but while they may not be easy to kill (fly high and pretty thick bodied) they aren't hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
I saw my first pronghorns this summer and thought that was pretty neat too.
I put in for a tag every year but so far still coming up blank. The problem is I put in for the two local herds, each of which is only getting a very few tags available. If I was serious about it I'd put in for one of the herds up north but don't fancy traveling all that way.

Last elk hunt I was on I found a herd of them right at the edge of the treeline I was in. Surprised me, really, both to see them there and at how close to them I was able to get.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
Stopped at local hardware/gun store. Most interesting Sig SAS. Compact with fiat top and ported. Single trillium dot built in to the rear of the slide with light enhancing fibers 3/4". All flush and was so new they didn't have it priced. Going back
I don't know I'd be happy with the sighting system on those. You line up the front sight through the tube at the rear. You could be off a bit and still see it so not aiming where you were looking. That take is just from looking at it on the web but maybe something you want to czech while you have it in your hands.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:27 PM
wrwindsor
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
'MUP!

Weather went back to "fire up the AC, chump" for a few days. Hopefully we'll get some relief on Wednesday.

I got momma's pot rack hung in the kitchen; happy wife, happy life. Now I can get back to organizing ManCave#1 (my office).

Next up is to build some shelving. I have the material, just need to clear room in the garage to break out the sawhorses.
Closed Thread