Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:49 AM
ROBW223

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Edgewood "slick" front bags leaking

Hi everyone, I recently bought two Edgewood slick front bags for my two Farley rests, I used the black ilmenite sand I use in all the others, and hey presto, they BOTH leak from the stitching, my question is this, is there a way or sealing the stitches so I can use the heavy sand?
Regards Rob
Old 10-12-2019, 07:31 AM
justinp61
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I take it that the black sand is very fine? I used washed and sifted river sand in mine and have no leaks.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:37 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its a common problem with some bags, depends on bag quality and how close the stitching is and how fine your filler sand is.

Here's a mad crazy idea, should work on all bag types. Empty bag & both ears. Get a bottle of clear liquid craft glue and pour into bag/ears and shake about well, then empty out and leave to dry.

The idea is to fill the voids between the stitching to prevent leakage.

NO, not mad yet but working on it - Yes, I'm sitting down and NO I'm not drunk.....yet.... work in progress......

Another option would be to use a small freezer plastic bag within the rear bag and fill with sand. Don't think there are bags small enough for the ears though.

Other members here will have a better solution, ......

Giz

Last edited by Gizmo60; 10-12-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 03:07 PM
ROBW223

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks justip61 and gizmo, I have already refilled them with "normal " sand and had thought of some sort of sealer, I had hoped it was a common enough problem that a diffinitive answer was out there, they will probably work OK with plain sand but they don't feel right compared to the heavies
Many thanks
Rob
Old 10-13-2019, 09:26 PM
bthg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Haven’t tried this but wouldn’t one of those leather water-proofing waxes work? Like Sno-Seal? Keeps water out of stitching so why not sand in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-13-2019, 11:32 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I used the spray Plastidip and sprayed one of my nylon bags that leaked some real fine heavy sand. It soaks in then dries, seemed to work ok.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:01 AM
karls42

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What did Edgewood say?
Old 10-15-2019, 03:54 AM
ROBW223

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karls42 View Post
What did Edgewood say?
I didn't ask, I ordered over the net, from Australia in a hurry for our rimfire nationals, just gone last weekend, should shoot them an email and see
Rob
Old 10-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Dubhane
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a Edgewood front bag that I purchased directly from them via phone call. If I remember correctly they said to not use heavy sand in a front bag. because it makes it to hard and could cause your rifle to bounce.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:22 AM
ROBW223

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubhane View Post
I have a Edgewood front bag that I purchased directly from them via phone call. If I remember correctly they said to not use heavy sand in a front bag. because it makes it to hard and could cause your rifle to bounce.
I like the front bag as hard as practical and the ears on the rear bag to be not soft as such, but pliable, no bounce, most of my front bags are Edgewood, never had a problem before, BTW, can't be too bad, at the nationals my eldest son was top junior in the two day IRB comp, and my daughter top junior in light and heavy group
Rob
Old 10-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Dubhane
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBW223 View Post
I like the front bag as hard as practical and the ears on the rear bag to be not soft as such, but pliable, no bounce, most of my front bags are Edgewood, never had a problem before, BTW, can't be too bad, at the nationals my eldest son was top junior in the two day IRB comp, and my daughter top junior in light and heavy group
Rob
Just passing on what I think Edgewood said a couple of years ago. I'm certainly no expert and sadly my targets would prove it.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:08 PM
ROBW223

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dubhane
That's interesting, what I was taught was that one bag, either front or rear can be very hard, but NOT both, I'm trying a large loaf style Edgewood rear bag the body of the bag is tight and the ears as I said "pliable", with the front bag, not hard enough I have difficulty getting the rifle to track well in the Farley, but I'm open to any advice, you never know it might improve my scores!
Rob