457 American in house - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:32 PM
Lovemesomecz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I LOVE THE TRIGGER!! my 457 American is a decent shooter and continues to improve , I topped it with a Meuller scope and put 100 or so down the tube after getting it all adjusted ..... then BOOM ! my lady friend shot it and the rest they say is history !!! Id love to have that trigger in a 452 American !!! around 14-15 oz pull breaks like glass and 0 creep , did I mention I LOVE THIS TRIGGER ?! if I ever figure how to post pictures .......
Old 10-14-2019, 06:19 PM
JDLalFleur

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
JDLalFleur:

So far I am impressed and thats not easy to do. The fitment of wood to metal is excellent. Though I feel like the amount of width of wood alongside the barrel is a bit much I am not going to complain. I would like to have had the forearm a bit slimmer at the top ie rounded into the barrel channel more but , well, its OK.

The grade of the wood, as I mentioned earlier, is about in the middle quality wise from what I have heard and seen pictures of on this forum.

The barrel cleaned up quite well yesterday and is as has been said a tight 22 bore. It scrubbed out well with less "gunk/stuff" then I had anticipated. The final run with the jag did not produce any feel of burrs or roughness in the bore. The test target supplied with the gun was shot on 8/8/2019 and shows a three shot group of 6 mm dispersion at 50 m shooting RWS ammo. If that will hold up or perhaps even improve with the high quality ammo I have it will be a squirrel killer.

The trigger on this gun, as you may know, is something different from CZ triggers of the past. Out of box it is quite crisp with no creep or over run. It is still a bit heavy for my desires but I will fix that as soon as I get a new set of angled hex wrenches, especially the tiny one that works on the trigger itself and the YoDave spring. I like my trigger pull to be under 1 lb.

For now, that is about all I can say. Scope rings will be in house tomorrow and we are expecting rain so I dont know that I will get to shoot it until Wednesday or so. I am having cataract surgery on Thursday so I will not be able to shoot until at least Monday according to my surgeon.

You should also know that I have a Lilja 17 Mach II barrel coming for this rifle. The change was my original idea for the purpose of this gun. I am going to shoot it a good bit with the 22 LR barrel just to get the feel of it and then swap out the barrel.

At this point just based on what is in hand I am very pleased with this rifle. However, as I am sure you know, to each his own on gun choices... If you have other specific questions do not be afraid to ask.

JMHO
Thanks for the info! Sounds like for the money this is an excellent rifle thus far.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:27 AM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
UPDATE:

Scope is on gun and about ready to shoot. I have one day, tomorrow, before the eye surgery an will try and get it out to shoot. I need to lower trigger pull and dont know if I can get it down enough for me to shoot it but I will give it a shot.. (pun) The shooting will likely only be at 25 yds. but what the heck.....

If the weather is good I'll be out there and there will be pictures.... Hang in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 01:01 PM
ricky9x22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
UPDATE:

Scope is on gun and about ready to shoot. I have one day, tomorrow, before the eye surgery an will try and get it out to shoot. I need to lower trigger pull and dont know if I can get it down enough for me to shoot it but I will give it a shot.. (pun) The shooting will likely only be at 25 yds. but what the heck.....

If the weather is good I'll be out there and there will be pictures.... Hang in there.
Sounds like the "Plan" is coming together! Keep us in touch and report back! Oh, and good luck tomorrow and wishing you a very speedy recovery!
Rick
Old 10-16-2019, 01:43 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky9x22 View Post
Sounds like the "Plan" is coming together! Keep us in touch and report back! Oh, and good luck tomorrow and wishing you a very speedy recovery!
Rick
ricky9x22:

Well as I am sure ya know the wind is blowing in at a pretty good lick from the North. I have messed with the trigger to the point of removing the screw. Its still a bit heavy but crisp as all get out.

I will see what this afternoon brings. I am going to shoot it one way or another.

As to tomorrow, my palms are sweaty already. I hope there is no luck involved.... Just the trained, experienced hands of a great eye surgeon.

Thanks.... as always.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:00 PM
ricky9x22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Quote:
ricky9x22:

Well as I am sure ya know the wind is blowing in at a pretty good lick from the North. I have messed with the trigger to the point of removing the screw. Its still a bit heavy but crisp as all get out.

I will see what this afternoon brings. I am going to shoot it one way or another.

As to tomorrow, my palms are sweaty already. I hope there is no luck involved.... Just the trained, experienced hands of a great eye surgeon.

Thanks.... as always.
The wind is blowing for sure today!It made a very cool day for everybody here on the Base! Good uplift for the big Planes!!!
Rick
Old 10-16-2019, 06:11 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
UPDATE:

OK, so I took the rifle out to shoot. The wind was a mess and I really can not see the intersection of the cross hairs in the scope so it was a general "get it close" kind of shooting.

Here are two pics of the gun. Not great but you can see the general figure in the wood. There is a bit more that doesn't show up in the pic's....

So, how did it shoot ???? Well since I could not see the intersection of the cross hairs not bad at all. I was shooting SK Rifle Match at 25 yards. I managed, after adjusting the scope quite a bit, to get two good 3 shot groups at about .3 or so. This is no reflection on the rifle or the scope. I will say the trigger is still just too heavy for me but, as is, it is likely the most "crisp" trigger I have pulled in recent memory. I trust when I swap out the spring to the YoDave one things will improve dramatically as well as me being able to see.

I should be able to shoot by Monday.....

Last edited by huntschool; 10-16-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:01 PM
1522steelshooter
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good looking rifle. You will be amazed at the improvement in your vision after the surgery. And it will continue to improve for a few weeks.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:07 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1522steelshooter View Post
Good looking rifle. You will be amazed at the improvement in your vision after the surgery. And it will continue to improve for a few weeks.
1522steelshooter:

Thanks for the comment and support. 13 hours and counting.....
Old 10-16-2019, 07:26 PM
SLS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good luck with everything
Old 10-16-2019, 11:44 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Good luck with everything
SLS:

Thanks..... I'll let ya all know tomorrow evening at the latest.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:04 AM
CaptBill252

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It will be OK.

These Doctors are experts.
They do these procedures every day.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:17 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
EDIT:

Well, its done. 15 minutes, in and out. I must admit I may have made much to do about nothing. I can see however the vision in that eye is still a "bit cloudy". I was told that would go away.... Hope so.

Here we go....
Old 10-17-2019, 03:03 PM
1522steelshooter
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to hear you're home. It will get better.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:09 PM
ricky9x22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
EDIT:

Well, its done. 15 minutes, in and out. I must admit I may have made much to do about nothing. I can see however the vision in that eye is still a "bit cloudy". I was told that would go away.... Hope so.

Here we go....
Glad its over with and done! Now just a little while to heal and bingo!!!!! Those crosshairs will be better than ever!!!
Rick