New rifle advice - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)

joelmark sir I really like my CZ 527 rifle in 22 Hornet it is so nice to shoot it compared to the other calibers I shoot. My main objective was to have a rifle that would shoot father than my 22mags and not have any recoil...and the 22 Hornet has turned out to be my favorite CF cartridge so far...I am not much for 17 caliber cartridges even the 17hmr had to be pushed down my throat...I have 5 or 6 of them now I like them but for me the 22mag rules my heart and so it has influenced my choice between the 22 Hornet and 17 Hornet...I have both but I shoot the 22 Hornet twice if not three time as much. The 22 hornet has surprised me more than I ever thought it would. I have cases of ammo for it. I am a hunter and had my years of bench shooting. Here are a couple pictures of targets I used to sight it my 527 Hornet.

I changed scopes and needed to resight in. The first shot was only 1" low and the other ones are there.

This is with factory rounds...very nice groups more than I need for my type of hunting. This is your decision so choose wisely...your the only one that matters what you get. So get what you want. I don't like shooting my 223 and the 222 is ok but my 22 Hornet rocks my world. The 17 Hornet is ok but I have not warmed up to it yet. The 17 Hornet is just a quite as my 22 Hornet. If you want a CZ varmint rifle your limited on which caliber you can get. The 204 Ruger is a flat shooting son of a gun but the noise it puts out will wake the dead and if I was am the range to have fun that is the last thing I would want...but that is just me. You can used to anything if you want.

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman
Old 10-12-2019, 05:46 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now if you want a challenge.

https://www.ruger.com/products/no1/s...ets/21300.html
Also available in .204 with heavy barrel.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:08 PM
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
joelmark sir I really like my CZ 527 rifle in 22 Hornet it is so nice to shoot it compared to the other calibers I shoot. My main objective was to have a rifle that would shoot father than my 22mags and not have any recoil...and the 22 Hornet has turned out to be my favorite CF cartridge so far...I am not much for 17 caliber cartridges even the 17hmr had to be pushed down my throat...I have 5 or 6 of them now I like them but for me the 22mag rules my heart and so it has influenced my choice between the 22 Hornet and 17 Hornet...I have both but I shoot the 22 Hornet twice if not three time as much. The 22 hornet has surprised me more than I ever thought it would. I have cases of ammo for it. I am a hunter and had my years of bench shooting. Here are a couple pictures of targets I used to sight it my 527 Hornet.

I changed scopes and needed to resight in. The first shot was only 1" low and the other ones are there.

This is with factory rounds...very nice groups more than I need for my type of hunting. This is your decision so choose wisely...your the only one that matters what you get. So get what you want. I don't like shooting my 223 and the 222 is ok but my 22 Hornet rocks my world. The 17 Hornet is ok but I have not warmed up to it yet. The 17 Hornet is just a quite as my 22 Hornet. If you want a CZ varmint rifle your limited on which caliber you can get. The 204 Ruger is a flat shooting son of a gun but the noise it puts out will wake the dead and if I was am the range to have fun that is the last thing I would want...but that is just me. You can used to anything if you want.

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman
My American Hornet shoots almost identical gotta love Cz consistency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelBlaster View Post
My American Hornet shoots almost identical gotta love Cz consistency.
SquirrelbBlaster sir I did not know what to expect from this little lovely round but after I sighted it in I went over to Cedarville with my second oldest brother and I made an off hand shot that he just stood there and laughed You would have to know my older brother Master Tech SGT...he never laughs he did that day. I shot that gopher and it blew him to pieces. I was going to use my 22 hornet for the long range stuff when the 22mag is just barely enough...but one popped up about 40 yards out.

So I am ready for the next trip up there.

Signalman
Old 10-13-2019, 01:50 AM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
joelmark, let me be sure what it is that you are asking advice for....you already have CZ rimfire rifles in .22 and .17, and a Tikka in .223 Rem., that you are happy with. You recently tried but sold a 6.5 Creedmoor, because of unwanted recoil. You state that primarily you will be shooting @ 100 yards, but do have access to a 400 yard range, on occasion, and you don't intend to hunt, or reload. So are you trying to get the most accurate (smallest group sizes) rifle, with the least amount of recoil, with factory ammunition? If so, either the .222 Rem. or the 6mmBR are two time tested, top tier, competition proven benchrest chamberings, that factory ammunition is loaded for. The Hornet family rounds have even lower recoil and are certainly accurate, but they don't compare with these other two. The .222 was the early dominant short range benchrest cartridge, until surpassed by the 6PPC, and the 6mmBR was developed to be directly competitive with the PPC round. It (6BR) has even been successfully used @ 1000 yards, though it is not ideal for that distance. 6mmBR factory ammunition is loaded by Lapua, Norma, HSM, and others. Both have similar recoil to your .223, and in a heavy barrel target style rifle, are extremely mild. One source for new wood stocked factory chambered 6mmBR target style rifles is Savage, which have a well known reputation for accuracy. One last thing, no matter what cartridge you choose from all those you have mentioned, you will get much better accuracy results by learning to hand load, and creating custom tailored ammunition for your individual rifle, like this: https://imgur.com/ivkgYUp The rifle is a tuned and accurized factory heavy barreled .223 Rem. with an optimized handload of powder charge, bullet weight, specific primer and bullet seating depth and will consistently shoot 1 inch groups @ 300 yards, in good wind conditions. The .223 you already own may have this kind of untapped potential. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 10-13-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Newman View Post
...So are you trying to get the most accurate (smallest group sizes) rifle, with the least amount of recoil, with factory ammunition? If so, either the .222 Rem. or the 6mmBR are two time tested, top tier, competition proven benchrest chamberings, that factory ammunition is loaded for. The Hornet family rounds have even lower recoil and are certainly accurate, but they don't compare with these other two. The .222 was the early dominant short range benchrest cartridge, until surpassed by the 6PPC, and the 6mmBR was developed to be directly competitive with the PPC round. It (6BR) has even been successfully used @ 1000 yards, though it is not ideal for that distance. 6mmBR factory ammunition is loaded by Lapua, Norma, HSM, and others. Both have similar recoil to your .223, and in a heavy barrel target style rifle, are extremely mild. One source for new wood stocked factory chambered 6mmBR target style rifles is Savage, which have a well known reputation for accuracy. One last thing, no matter what cartridge you choose from all those you have mentioned, you will get much better accuracy results by learning to hand load, and creating custom tailored ammunition for your individual rifle, like this: https://imgur.com/ivkgYUp The rifle is a tuned and accurized factory heavy barreled .223 Rem. with an optimized handload of powder charge, bullet weight, specific primer and bullet seating depth and will consistently shoot 1 inch groups @ 300 yards, in good wind conditions. The .223 you already own may have this kind of untapped potential. Good luck, whatever you decide.

This is excellent advice!
I'll add that if you delay your decision and instead invest in what's needed to reload for your .223 you'll gain a lot of insight in how to move forward with future rifles. Like many others here who reload, I have my favorite places to start, so I'll offer mine:
  • Lapua brass
  • Sierra 53 gr. MatchKing bullets
  • Remington 7-1/2 primers
  • H322 powder
  • RCBS Competition FL sizer and seater die set
  • RCBS #10 shell holder
  • Harrell powder measure and
  • Harrell single-stage turret press
  • Lee priming tool and shell holder
These are "components," supplies and tools that work well for me, and others exist, many cheaper, but these will have lasting value, and most will work well with the .222 if you decide to go that direction. Have fun!

Last edited by kimberkook; 10-13-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:47 AM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
kimberkook, since you were sharing your favorite .223 Rem. handloading recipe, I'll join in with the one that shot the group shown in my post above:

50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip polymer tipped bullets. (Also Hornady Varmint Express polymer tipped bullets both 50 and 53 grain versions). Though I tried more specialized conventional hollow point, flat base BR style target bullets, past 200 yards the tipped bullets seem to have a slight, but noticeable accuracy edge.
Winchester 748 Powder....I like this older ball powder because it meters very accurately (good results also with H335 and 322)
Federal 205 Gold Medal Match primers
Redding Competition full die set
Winchester brass that is weight sorted to within .4 grain, after having full BR prep. (length trimmed, flash holes reamed and hole itself deburred, primer pockets uniformed, necks inside/outside lightly beveled), full length sized, and necks lightly skim turned for consistent neck thickness. After fire forming to the chamber, cases are neck sized only.
Bullets seated for .005 jump.
Does this at short range (100 yards) https://imgur.com/tT4CvpF

This is only to show the dramatic difference careful handloading can achieve....by handloading I can get results at 300 yards similar to what factory ammo produced at 100 yards. This is from an accurized, heavy barreled factory rifle, not a dedicated target or benchrest rifle, with a 32 power scope and BR style front rest/rear bag setup.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 10-14-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:17 PM
joelmark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I appreciate all the advice and comments. I am now confused as to what I really want or need, way too many choices and donít want to make a poor choice as I have in the past. Iíve looked at the 22 hornet and it looks great, have also considered the 7.62x39 but have a feeling the accuracy will disappoint. I am in no hurry so if there is any more advice Iím all ears.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelmark View Post
I appreciate all the advice and comments. I am now confused as to what I really want or need, way too many choices and donít want to make a poor choice as I have in the past. Iíve looked at the 22 hornet and it looks great, have also considered the 7.62x39 but have a feeling the accuracy will disappoint. I am in no hurry so if there is any more advice Iím all ears.
Joelmark sir if your not sure what you want then stay with what you have for now...go to your local range and see what others are using...and see what might work for you.

Signalman
Old 10-15-2019, 12:37 AM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Joelmark, one more reason for investing about half the cost of a new rifle to get the equipment to start reloading....you can download the .223 rem. to basically duplicate .22 Hornet performance, recoil, and noise. Then load it back up for the rare times you want to stretch it out to 400 yards. Plus, after your original equipment purchase, you can load much higher quality ammunition than the factory produces for about 1/4 to 1/5 the cost. Of course, sometimes we all just WANT a new rifle; certainly understand that. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 10-15-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:59 AM
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelmark View Post
I get 1 - 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards out of my 7.62 carbine using tula 154 grain steel case, every once in awhile the group will stretch a bit more but I think this is because of the cheap ammo its only about 10 bucks for a 40 round box. I think if I ever start reloading or even buy good ammo it would be close to sub MOA. However recoil is near a 30-30 and I suspect a but more than you are wanting. But is a fun gun and cheap enough to shoot a lot of factory ammo without going broke.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:32 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Newman View Post
Of course, sometimes we all just WANT a new rifle;
Nah, never!
Old 10-15-2019, 03:34 PM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the 527A and V are about if not the same price. But, you get rings with the American and not the Varmint. The 17HH is a fun to shoot little rifle but being 17 caliber little things get annoying. Borescopes for one and my 17HH seems to require cleaning much more often than my 22 Hornet. A word of advice: Buy what tickles your fancy. The heck with putting all the data into a spreadsheet and buying what gives the best numbers. Buy what you think would be fun to shoot. If not, it will live in the dark corner of a safe instead of being used to put a smile on your face.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:57 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Don't forget, if you choose the 22 Hornet you can later have the chamber opened up to K Hornet, makes the little Hornet a little hotter and easier to reload if you decide to.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Depending on the lighting 22 caliber holes are much easier to see thru a spotting scope than 17 caliber holes. That said either a 17 Hornet or 22 Hornet will amaze you as you watch the bullet hole magically appear on your target at 100 yards thru your rifles scope. I would bet that the 17 Hornet would be more accurate with factory loads than 22 Hornet in an off the shelf rifle. Even though the 22 Hornet has more available load choices. Buy what pleases you and what seems to be available locally.