New rifle advice - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New rifle advice

I am looking for a new rifle. Currently have 2 CZ 457 Varmints one in .22lr and one 17HMR. Excellent rifles, love the new 457s. Also have a Tikka T3X Varmint in .223 also excellent rifle.

I am extremely please with what I have right now, all are very accurate and quality guns.

A little info, I am a paper puncher I do not hunt any more. Typically go to my local State range that goes to 100 yards. I have access to a 400 yard range, just not as convenient.

I have been looking for an additional rifle to go with what I have and have been looking at the CZ527 in 17 Hornet. My question is which model? American or Varmint? How much heat does the hornet produce? Pricing is about the same on both.

I am leaning towards the Varmint because of the heavier barrel.

Recently tried out and sold a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor, great rifle just too much recoil for what I need or want as well as ammo pricing.

I do not reload at this time. If there is anything else recommended? I am all ears. Prefer Wood stock.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why do you want another rifle?

I have, and love, a .22 Hornet.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:35 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have a few CZ models in Centerfire. When shooting from a good rest or shooting for best groups, the Varmints (527, and 550) are the most likely to produce consistent good results.

The 550 Varmint is especially outstanding (most accurate gun I've ever owned), but the 527 Varmint will outshoot the American, FS, and Carbine. Not night and day difference, but consistently, and it shoots better with more types of ammo. And the centerfire Varmints are just a little more pleasant to put several rounds through on a single outing, IMO. This is not an issue with the 527s in .223, but it can be with the 550s. And the heavy barrels can tolerate more rounds before a cool-down is needed to bring back their best accuracy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 04:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try hand loading. Thatís far more interesting than a couple new rifles shooting box ammo.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:13 PM
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeesaman View Post
Try hand loading. Thatís far more interesting than a couple new rifles shooting box ammo.

That is great advice. There is very little that is as satisfying as working up the perfect load for a particular rifle.

That being said, it is hard to go wrong with a CZ centerfire, and I love all of mine, but, my most accurate factory rifle is a Remington XR-100 in 22-250, out to about 300 yards/meters. My most accurate custom rifle is a trued Savage 110 action with everything else being aftermarket components in 300 Win Mag. I have consistently shot sub-moa with it out to 750 yards. My CZ 527 Varmint Synthetic in 223 is almost as accurate as my XR-100, but I think the cartridge has less potential than the 22-250. I might could wring more accuracy out of the 527 if I wasn't such a cheapskate and would spring for Lapua brass.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:36 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
The CZ527 Varmint in .17 Hornet I purchased is crazy accurate with Hornady factory ammo, since my shooting opportunities are few its unlikely I'll ever reload for it.

Shots around the center were initial zeroing the two left hand groups are five shots each, it continues to shoot groups like those, I can live with it.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:41 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you hunted by all means a 17 hornet has a wonderful niche, but it's really more than you need for paper within ranges where I think the light 17 bullets would be accurate in the wind. It sounds to me like you need to get into reloading and step up to 223. Even if you don't reload, 223 is more plentiful and probably not any more expensive. Actually, maybe even..... cough....cheaper. Lots of good bolt guns available in 223. Look at the 527 in that caliber.....
Old 10-11-2019, 05:44 PM
SquirrelBlaster
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is there a reason you want the .17? If I wasn't hunting or a hand loader I would just get whichever version you like in .223 simply because ammo is fairly cheap and available everywhere. I have 3 of these rifles a varmint in .204, an american in .22 hornet, and a carbine in 7.62x39 the carbine is probably my favorite centerfire rifle very hand handy and fun in that configuration and you get the option to play with irons if you want.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Already have a .223 that is a great shooter.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
joelmark sir I can understand where your going and I think your headed in the correct direction...I do have a few different CZ CF rifles also in these calibers: 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, 222, 223 and 308 win.

I one thing I love about the two Hornets I have are they basically have no recoil and are not very loud compared to the 223 round. If your only paper shooting and don't reload I would get either one of the Hornets...look your out there to have fun and the 17 Hornet will give you just that...I my eyes it's a game your trying to win at...if you were serious about putting holes in paper then the 222 is the way to go only if you reload. Because you don't I feel the Hornets would do you good.

Your a bench shooter and the Varmint model is the only way to go...I have a CZ 527 American in 17 Hornet and 22 Hornet and I wish I would have bought the Varmint model in 17 Hornet and if CZ ever made a 22 Hornet in a Varmint model I would buy one in a heat beat...I love my 22 Hornet for hunting it's like a 22mag on steroids no recoil and very accurate...I bought the 17 Hornet because of all the talk about it and I figured because the 22 Hornet has made me super happy I bought one. My 17 Hornet is still a work in progress.

I used to bench shoot many years ago and I don't any more...once I got as good as I could get I got bored...so I turned to Varmint/pest shooting like gophers that would challenge my shooting skills. Some so far have said to reload the 223 which is a good idea...and the 17 Hornet might be light if the wind shows up...but every caliber you can buy is going to have problems if the wind shows up.

The challenge I see for you is to go out there and do your best...you could spend thousands of dollars and not get the results your looking for...on the other hand you can go have fun and that is worth it's weight in gold. When you do get the one target your looking to get then frame it on the wall.

I hope you understand where I am coming from. Good luck on your quest.

Signalman
Old 10-12-2019, 10:04 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squirrelblaster mentioned the 7.62x39. Do not overlook or dismiss that round. CZ makes a very nice wood and blue carbine for it. I have the plastic stock Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 and it is sub MOA with hand loads. Brass cased PPU 123 grain SP will go MOA at about 40 cents a round. Recoil is mild. Steel cased Wolf is about 20 cents and does surprisingly well for plinking at about 2 MOA. I have shot tighter groups with it but that is not the norm.
Reloading was also mentioned and can be gotten into for less than the cost of a rifle. Single stage presses are relatively inexpensive and will pay for themselves in short order. You can put good quality rounds together for 20-25 cents each. Just dont try to do a thousand rounds at one time.

Last edited by JTJ; 10-12-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replys and suggestions. A Couple understand what I am looking for. Low recoil accurate round.

I have been looking at the 7.62x39 also and really don't think that will fit my needs. Since I don't hunt.

I have looked at the 22 hornet also and was interested in that, it seams as the 17 hornet has a flatter trajectory if I want to push it a little farther.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A hole is a hole is a hole. What youíve got now makes them. At 50 yards a 22 is going to make the tightest group around especially if you spend .20 cents a round. 5 shots for a dollar. At 100 yards the 223 is , imho going to perform a little better. But the good ammo is 40 cents a round or more. Iíve tried the others, and I like them, but they donít group any better, and often worse. And always for more money.my favorite is the 6.55 Swedish. Not because itís better but because it looks cool. But nothing shoots like a 22, so if youíve got an itch for a new gun , buy another 22.
I had a cz 17 Hornet varmint on the counter, and as I was dickering or abetter price , the salesman thru in a couple of boxes of ammo,he almost had me, but then I saw the price per round, and I walked away.

A hole is a hole is a hole, if you were a hunter,or a long distance shooter, yeah, those other rounds are just what ou need, but for shooting paper, you already got the best. Just buy more of those. And buy the best ammo you can find.

Now if tight groups arenít your objective, and you are dead set on shooting centerfire , the 7.62 x39 is a good choice. Cheap ammo, and a not to much recoil, the CZ has a single set trigge, which is fantastic,.I had a surplus of the stuff, but when I went shopping for one, they couldnít be had. I bought a Ruger American Ranch , and once I put a muzzle break on it couldnít be happier. But itís a a 1 MOA gun.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:32 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelmark View Post
Thanks for the replys and suggestions. A Couple understand what I am looking for. Low recoil accurate round.

I have been looking at the 7.62x39 also and really don't think that will fit my needs. Since I don't hunt.

I have looked at the 22 hornet also and was interested in that, it seams as the 17 hornet has a flatter trajectory if I want to push it a little farther.
As much as I love them, very small bullets do not usually do well when "pushed a little farther."

Since you aren't hunting, you won't be carrying this rifle that far. I would look for a heavy varmint/bench rifle, something with a much heavier barrel than anything CZ makes.

.243 in such a rifle is a dream to shoot, but my favorite is a 7mm-08. There are many other great cartridges.

If you are going to be serious about it you will have to reload, both to optimize accuracy and to keep the expense down.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:13 PM
SquirrelBlaster
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
7.62x39 doesn't sound like what your looking for at all it has more recoil that the others and will probably not shoot as tight. The 22 hornet is a great varmint round I like plinking it with it some but I also load for it. If your wanting something in the 527 you can push flat and far you should really be looking into the .204 not sure how the recoil compares to the 17 but in my varmint it isn't enough to bounce the scope off target.