Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:02 PM
3rd-Leg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
help me pick one of these three

Made a tour of the local pawn shops today and came across 3 older rim-fires of interest,

1) Mossberg 146 B A
$200
-22 short, L, LR
-tube feed bolt action
-overall 80% with good bore,
-3 piece front sight (ring, thin blade, wide blade - that fold over to the side)
-no serial numbers or man. dates found

2) Springfield 187H
$175
-22 short, L, LR
-tube feed semi-auto action
-no serial numbers or man. dates found

3) Springfield 120
$80
-single shot bolt action
-Serial# P730XXX

I could buy all three but I already have several older 22's and I want to leave some on the shelf for the next guy that's looking for something similar.

So, help me decide between these three, tell me which one you would pick and how much you would give for it.

or not, and have a nice day,

Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 11:49 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Those old Mossbergs are usually pretty good shooters. I would not be at all interested in an old used jamomatic or a single shot.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:24 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I vote Mossy.
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 04:02 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Some of those old Mossbergs also have a Microgroove barrel like a Marlin.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Tex45LC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
See if they'll let you pull the action out of the stock on that Mossy. My dad has an old Mossy with the same front sight, tube fed....and it has an adjustable trigger. His was made sometime between 1938 - 1941. I can't for the life of me remember the model.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:07 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
My Grandfathers single shot Mossberg was made in the mid 30's. He shot only shorts. Unfortunately, the only shorts available at the feed store as time passes, were not standard velocity. I found it after several years. It would not eject the spent casing after firing. The HV ammo had damaged the chamber and left a ridge, and the ammo fired "trapped" the spent shell. It had to be removed with a cleaning rod inserted from the crown. I only shot standard velocity ammo with it, and the problem persist. After a trip to the gunsmith, he suggested cutback and re-chamber, or just hang it on the wall. I gifted it to my cousins, and I'm sure it is in good hands. My advice is to shoot it first (if possible) and make sure it functions properly. It won't take but a few shots. Using a borescope on a rifle that old is a real good idea so you can see what you are getting into. ...... AH
Old 10-11-2019, 10:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex45LC View Post
See if they'll let you pull the action out of the stock on that Mossy. My dad has an old Mossy with the same front sight, tube fed....and it has an adjustable trigger. His was made sometime between 1938 - 1941. I can't for the life of me remember the model.
My 46B had the adjustable trigger. It was in good shape with original peep sight. I sold it earlier this yr for $125. I see old mossys with all the accessories at gun shows for $250 asking.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Tex45LC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I called pop; his is a 46B-B. The thing loves standard velocity rounds. It had an old round fire odd (I think bolt wasn't full forward) and it bent something inside. The rifle will now dump the entire tube out the ejection port when the bolt is pulled back.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:49 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Get that 146! Great rifles. Front site is correct. They also had a rear barrle sight and receiver sight. If your going to scope it I wouldn't worry about it. 200.00 bucks is a good price. Nice full sise sporter configuration. The earlier 46B had a target style stock. Oh, I have 3, 146b so I like them. Post some pics if you get it.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:34 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
im against consensus science but i vote for the mosberg