Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:11 PM
3JExplorer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
I had Spam for Thanksgiving dinner one year in Honolulu. I have been told that the only place that consumes more Spam per capita than Hawaii is Guam.
The locals call SPAM the Hawaiian prime rib
Old 10-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post
I like the low sodium version, thick-sliced and grilled.
I got the low salt version by accident a couple years ago. Glad I didn't use it as a target because now it's all I buy.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Spam kind of sounds like a canned pork roll or Taylor ham. Fried with eggs sounds good. So, if itís good, itís probably bad for you. Like everything else that tastes good.
One day you'll see the light...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spam lantern.jpg (534.7 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 10:28 PM
koonta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mom used to make a killer macaroni salad with diced ham. Apparently my taste buds have changed and ham just doesn't have the flavor it used to, so I made her salad with diced spam and it turned out good. Took it to a family reunion and it went over really good except with a nice who inquired on the type of meat used. I do like it sliced and fried for a sandwich. A lady at the pie pantry would make a paste for a sandwich spread with the low sodium variety that was quite good also.
I've found slicing with a cheese slicer makes for nice size slices.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:59 PM
smatda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Surprised no one has mentioned the "other SPAM" aka Treet. When dad worked in the coal mines, mom would always fix him Treet sandwiches. Two slabs of fried Treet in between two slices of white bread.

Went to Hawaii to visit the daughter (the son-in-law is active duty USN on a DDG based out of Pearl). Went to a bowling alley that Guy Fieri did a spot on. Ordered a Vietnamese Pho with Spam cubes in it. VERY tasty.

Personally, I like it in scrambled eggs.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:14 PM
smatda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Surprised no one has mentioned the "other SPAM" aka Treet. When dad worked in the coal mines, mom would always fix him Treet sandwiches. Two slabs of fried Treet in between two slices of white bread.

Went to Hawaii to visit the daughter (the son-in-law is active duty USN on a DDG based out of Pearl). Went to a bowling alley that Guy Fieri did a spot on. Ordered a Vietnamese Pho with Spam cubes in it. VERY tasty.

Personally, I like it in scrambled eggs.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:54 AM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Spam and Hawaii

It would seem to me that there would be some Spam and pineapple recipes. You put pineapple on ham, this would be a cheap version. I don't know, just seemed like a logical combo.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:28 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
On my hurricane food list.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do you get it out of the email box into the pan?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jim Cramer featured the seasonal Pumpkin Flavored Spam on CNBC yesterday which he said sold out on amazon in 7 hours! He said the juice is the best part and was eating it right out of the can. I have never had it but they say it is one of the favorite foods in the Philippines and Hawaii. I suppose it is because they were isolated and it is convenient and doesn't require cooking to eat. Kinda like MREs for civilians

PS Just found this which explains it https://theculturetrip.com/asia/phil...-food-classic/
Old 10-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Some people disparage Spam, but I've never turned my nose up at it, it's just shredded processed ham in a can. It isn't as good as a seasoned cooked spiral sliced whole ham, but then it is not nearly as expensive. It sure does beat doing without.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:17 PM
SLS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It’s great on mouse traps. Sticks to the hook great and stinks. Brings ‘em in from far away.
Did you see they had pumpkin spice Spam available recently ? Sold out in like 7 hours.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:12 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I actually ate it quite often when I was a kid. Mom would slice it thin, fry it crisp like bacon and put in in a tomato, lettuce and spam sandwich. Wasn't bad. I also liked potted meat but never really warmed up to those vienna weeners. 1917
Old 10-13-2019, 01:41 AM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Dad was on an LCI in the Med during the big one and grew to love Spam.
Fried some up a few times when we were kids but Mom never liked it. Dad died young and Mom never made any again.

Every time I fry some the smell reminds me of my father.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:03 AM
Canuck
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking in the cupboard when I was younger years ago, found a can of Spam and a pkg of Shake n Bake. IDEA! Cut Spam in 3/4" slices, covered in Shake n Bake and put in oven at 350 for half hour. Actually wasn`t bad. Haven't done it since though.

Canuck