The grand old 30-06 - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:46 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

After school rebooted my hunting with a M-54 in '06. Friends derided me, so decided it was easier to just get a .300 w/synthetic stock. Turned out the .300s bother me less than that steel buttplate '06. Which meant I could shoot it well.
So killed most of my stuff with .300 Wins and Roys. All were taken with 180s driven to just 2900 fps or so.

Have never seen the logic in taking game with something well below recoil tolerance. But you do have to know your recoil tolerance. .30-06 is one of those rounds that puts folks on one side - or the other - of their recoil tolerance. O'Connor actually preferred the '06, but advocated the .270 because he understood the above.

Nothing I took with a .300 could not have been killed just as dead with an '06. Right now we have two garands and three '06 bolts here. And while my experience has been that .300s shoot - on average - slightly better than rifles in '06, the difference is not much. The most accurate factory deer and up rifle I've ever shot was a Savage 110 from Dick's that printed 3 shot .40 caliber holes at 100 yds using my standardized 180 gr load.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:13 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went from 22LR to 30-06 as my first center fire and anyone who says that will not get your attention is lying. That first shot and first day is a big deal. I will never forget that any more than first time I kissed a girl or day I got my drivers license.

We are not born with the ability to shoot larger guns. I quickly moved down to a 250 savage. Over time, I was taught how to shoot. I was also taught specifically how to shoot the Garand in competition. I think most people man or woman can learn if given the proper instruction.

Someone posted the 06 was right at some people recoil tolerance threshold. I think what the 06 represent is the level where technique matters. Folks I hang with believe the recoil tolerance for adult men with the proper skill set and experience is between the 416 magnum (fill in the name) and the 458 Lott (or Winchester). You dont get there over night and if a person does not have the desire there is no reason to ever get to that level. I spent years with the 375HH before the 416 Rigby felt right. The Lott remains a challenge for me. Then I like a challenge. If I want a full day shooting, I like the 22LR.

Last edited by fourbore; 10-09-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:48 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
This is making me want to dig my old M700 out of the safe. Even still have the Weaver K4 and rings that I bought for it back then. Still have an old box of Winchester 220gr Silvertips somewhere.

Was looking yesterday at the new Ruger Hawkeye Hunter. Made in USA and looks pretty darn good on paper at least. Even available in all of ours favorite 30.06 Sprg.

https://www.ruger.com/products/Hawke...er/models.html
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 09:04 AM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Winchester Silvertips

They do not make the 220 gr. Winchester Silvertips any more. Great cartridge. I happen to like the Silvertips a lot, an old technology but one I trust.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
What 7.62x39 ammo were you using? I've ordered half a dozen types for my 527 to see which one it likes best.
For hunting, Hornady's steel cased 123SST load, its sub MOA in my rifle, S&B makes a good shooting 123 SP also.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:47 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
They do not make the 220 gr. Winchester Silvertips any more. Great cartridge. I happen to like the Silvertips a lot, an old technology but one I trust.

These are pretty old, bought them quite a while back. Winchester yellow box. If I were to hunt with the rifle these days though, I'd use a 125 -150 gr load I think.

Last edited by OldWolf; 10-09-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:54 PM
dutchmac
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My go-to meat gun is my '06, in a Remington 700. Got a Williams peep on the rear, factory front. Anything that walks in front of it out to 175-200 yards is in trouble. Shoot 180grn RNSP bullets, and they have no trouble smacking down a deer. A .270 and a 25-06 share the rack with the ol' gal, but she's the one that comes out more than the others. I've had deer run with both of the other rifles, but never had one take more than a step or two after meeting with that big 180 or 220 grain bullet. The ought six just works!

Mac
Old 10-09-2019, 03:26 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Most of your belted magnums came from the 375 H&H Magnum.

Many of the popular centerfire, non Magnum cartridges came from the 30-06.

I have the 270, 308, 243, 35 Whelan, etc.

There are no animals in the continental United States that canít be taken with the 30-06, or one of itís derivatives. That being said, for really big game I can use the 338 Win Mag or the 458 Win Mag, but it isnít necessary. If I could only own one centerfire bolt action rifle, it would probably be in 30-06.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:00 AM
JMK
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
and it might be a contrast between the "one gun for everything" crowd and the rifle loony "one gun for each niche" crowd. Instead of carrying around "one gun for everything" all the time, take your deer rifle out for deer then, when you need that eargesplittenloudenboomer for elk or elephants, pull it out, whatever it turns out to be.
I'm part of the rifle loony crowd - I just can't seem to have rifles in the same chambering...except battle rifles. And, I've just got to have one of everything. Truth be told, I had everything I needed when I started...

My first centerfire was a DWM Mauser 98 that my father chambered in 30-06. I took my first two deer with that rifle. It's since been rebarreled with a Lothar-Walther in a lightweight sporting contour, and chambered in the original 7x57 - its a real sweetheart for most hunting. As Sophia points out, there's a lot that can be done with less than the 30-06.

Of course, I still couldn't be without one, so when I had the Mauser rebarreled I promptly bought a Winchester 70 Super Grade with a GORGEOUS maple stock chambered in nothing other than...30-06. She was too beautiful to take in the woods and get all wet - I needed an all-weather rifle - so I bought a Winchester 70 Extreme Weather SS for all of my foul weather elk hunting needs.

JMK

PS - I always felt the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer would make a better varmint cartridge...
Old 10-10-2019, 03:00 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
A lot of it is a reaction to everybody and his sister saying it's the one gun everyone has to get, kinda like everybody saying that everyone must own a Ruger 10/22. I say nae on both counts. While they are both popular and certainly effective does everyone really need one? Or even want one?

A hunter just starting out with a budget to cover only one gun will be told "just get an aught-six and be done with it." The rationale will be that it's suitable for any legal game in North America. While that is certainly true how many people are actually hunting elk or moose? How many are taking shots beyond about 150 yards?

and it might be a contrast between the "one gun for everything" crowd and the rifle loony "one gun for each niche" crowd. Instead of carrying around "one gun for everything" all the time, take your deer rifle out for deer then, when you need that eargesplittenloudenboomer for elk or elephants, pull it out, whatever it turns out to be.

Most people... I'm talking like 90% or more... can do everything they need to do hunting-wise with a whole lot less recoil than the 30-06 Sprg subjects them to and the animal will be just as dead. And for those who do hunt elk or moose, how often do they do that compared to how often they hunt deer that weigh less than 200 lbs or game that's even smaller? So buying into that extra recoil for every shot when they might (might, I say) only need what the 30-06 Sprg has to offer once every few years. Instead they may be better off getting a rifle chambered for the cartridge suited to the game they are going to hunt 90% of the time. I also see a bit of ... I dunno what the right word might be... irony?... in that the guy thinks he needs an aught-six but when his daughter wants to go on the same hunt with him he thinks a 243 Win is "enough gun."

A lot of the "it's the one gun everyone should own" comes out of...

... the mystique that surrounds it. And a lot of that is nostalgia that grew from the following for it that developed after WW2, back when there was a huge surplus of cheap ammo and even guns on the market. Not that it hasn't evolved and improved since then, especially bullet-wise.

All that said, even though I still don't see a need for a 30-06 rifle in my life I actually have one.... but that's another story better told elsewhere and I'm still "meh" on the cartridge.

I've read the M1 Garand was originally designed to use a 7x51mm cartridge but MacArthur (then Army Chief of Staff) disapproved the design at least partly due to the huge amount of 30-06 Sprg ammo stockpiled in Army depots. Garand redesigned the rifle around the cartridge as requested.

I've also read that the two most common complaints about the M1 in post-war studies was its weight and its recoil. I sometimes wonder if those asking for a lighter rifle realized that would mean even more recoil.

But, buckweet, none of that takes away from this rifle which is special and would be special no matter what cartridge it's chambered for.
Lot of gun-wisdom there!

Beginning when I was 12, and for many years after that, my only CF rifle was a .30-06. It got the job done on many deer and a few larger animals. Hunting deer in places where the gut-piles and carcasses always disappeared within 36 hours, it was somewhat reassuring to have those powerful 180-gr. bullets ready for self-defense if needed.

But now I am into smaller, faster bullets that don't recoil so much.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:51 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A 30-06 at 12 yrs old! I had a bb gun.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:29 PM
gallcpa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
Yes.. my pop's in his 80s now..
I cherish the time I get to spend with him.
The story's he can tell..
I wish he'd wright a book.
My dad in in his 80's too. We go shooting together most Sundays. Spend the time with your dad, as much as you can.

Also, the .30-06 is a fine choice for a cartridge.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:55 PM
shooter2bill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have fired thousands of rounds through various push feed Remington 700s with out a glitch. A few years ago I bought a new controlled round feed Model 70; it would not feed nor function until I did considerable work on it. Needing a cr feed for dangerous game is malarkey.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:00 PM
22MagRuger
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Those 'Oldies' are Great Guns

I've always believed that American Gun manufactures have made great guns that always seem to get the job done. Any of those Pre-64 Winchesters are special no matter the caliber. I've got a 30-30 Winchester that was made in 1951 and remains a wonderful Brush Gun for Deer on the west side of the Cascade mountains. The 06 is likely the best for all Big Game in North America!!!!!

Enjoy your Great Gun!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoot Safe and Have Fun!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0867.JPG (487.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0868.JPG (463.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-10-2019, 08:02 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel_Hoggson View Post
Have never seen the logic in taking game with something well below recoil tolerance. But you do have to know your recoil tolerance. .30-06 is one of those rounds that puts folks on one side - or the other - of their recoil tolerance. O'Connor actually preferred the '06, but advocated the .270 because he understood the above.
Having been an O'Connor fan for many years and having read most of what he's written, I disagree that he favored the .30-06 while advocating the .270.

O'Connor was a huge fan of the 7x57mm Mauser and claims to have written more about it than just about any other caliber. He saw a lot of value in the .30-06 because of the extreme bullet weights it could accommodate.

When the .270 Winchester came along, O'Connor ordered one and believed that he was the first to kill a deer in the Southwest with one. It gave him everything he required for most of the game he hunted and he wrote about it, eventually becoming closely identified with it.