The grand old 30-06 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:46 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Try some top data loads for the 30-30 in the '06, NO Way you get into any trouble doing so, and see whachaget.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
A meh ? On the cartridge ...lol...ok I'll bite,. ..why ?
A lot of it is a reaction to everybody and his sister saying it's the one gun everyone has to get, kinda like everybody saying that everyone must own a Ruger 10/22. I say nae on both counts. While they are both popular and certainly effective does everyone really need one? Or even want one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
It was my first 'deer' rifle and in theory an all around North American rifle.
A hunter just starting out with a budget to cover only one gun will be told "just get an aught-six and be done with it." The rationale will be that it's suitable for any legal game in North America. While that is certainly true how many people are actually hunting elk or moose? How many are taking shots beyond about 150 yards?

Quote:
Since then, I have several more optimized rifles.
and it might be a contrast between the "one gun for everything" crowd and the rifle loony "one gun for each niche" crowd. Instead of carrying around "one gun for everything" all the time, take your deer rifle out for deer then, when you need that eargesplittenloudenboomer for elk or elephants, pull it out, whatever it turns out to be.

Most people... I'm talking like 90% or more... can do everything they need to do hunting-wise with a whole lot less recoil than the 30-06 Sprg subjects them to and the animal will be just as dead. And for those who do hunt elk or moose, how often do they do that compared to how often they hunt deer that weigh less than 200 lbs or game that's even smaller? So buying into that extra recoil for every shot when they might (might, I say) only need what the 30-06 Sprg has to offer once every few years. Instead they may be better off getting a rifle chambered for the cartridge suited to the game they are going to hunt 90% of the time. I also see a bit of ... I dunno what the right word might be... irony?... in that the guy thinks he needs an aught-six but when his daughter wants to go on the same hunt with him he thinks a 243 Win is "enough gun."

A lot of the "it's the one gun everyone should own" comes out of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
The 30.06 is kinda legendary, like the 30-30.
... the mystique that surrounds it. And a lot of that is nostalgia that grew from the following for it that developed after WW2, back when there was a huge surplus of cheap ammo and even guns on the market. Not that it hasn't evolved and improved since then, especially bullet-wise.

All that said, even though I still don't see a need for a 30-06 rifle in my life I actually have one.... but that's another story better told elsewhere and I'm still "meh" on the cartridge.

Quote:
I would go so far as to suggest that in 1903/06 the US military would have been better served with a 7x57. Or another equally good choice the 6.5x55.
I've read the M1 Garand was originally designed to use a 7x51mm cartridge but MacArthur (then Army Chief of Staff) disapproved the design at least partly due to the huge amount of 30-06 Sprg ammo stockpiled in Army depots. Garand redesigned the rifle around the cartridge as requested.

I've also read that the two most common complaints about the M1 in post-war studies was its weight and its recoil. I sometimes wonder if those asking for a lighter rifle realized that would mean even more recoil.

But, buckweet, none of that takes away from this rifle which is special and would be special no matter what cartridge it's chambered for.

Last edited by Sophia; 10-08-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:41 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
You may not know that the models currently being produced have the controlled round feed in addition to very nice triggers.
Yes they do. I like the ones built by FN in the USA. Those days are now gone.

If given a choice, I will buy the bolt action rifle with Controlled Round Feed. That doesn’t mean that the push fees don’t work. I just think the Mauser design is better for dangerous game. For accuracy it really doesn’t matter.

Look how many Remington 700s are out there. I have a few. I’m not selling them but they are also not my preference.

For those who can’t handle the recoil of an ‘06 in a bolt action rifle, there are good options such as the POF Revolution in .308. It doesn’t kick bad at all and it is under 7 pounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Yes they do. I like the ones built by FN in the USA. Those days are now gone.
I got two of them before the move to Portugal.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:05 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
You are lucky.

They look like real jewels.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:37 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Most people... I'm talking like 90% or more... can do everything they need to do hunting-wise with a whole lot less recoil than the 30-06 Sprg subjects them to and the animal will be just as dead.
Recoil??? What recoil? Unless you are going to be shooting 40-50 rounds in a short period of time using a rifle with a very thin buttstock, recoil is not an issue with a 30-06. Unless you weigh 90 pounds soaking wet. Maybe.

And I'm willing to bet that 30-06 recoil is eclipsed by a wide margin with a 300 H&H.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:43 PM
Gripen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
97% (27)
Quote:
What year did that happen? I'd love a modern M70 (and in .30-06 to boot ), but only if it's an American-made rifle. Not because I think the Portuguese ones are bad (the ones I've handled are awesome), but just because it seems right for an American classic to be, well, American.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Recoil??? What recoil? Unless you are going to be shooting 40-50 rounds in a short period of time using a rifle with a very thin buttstock, recoil is not an issue with a 30-06. Unless you weigh 90 pounds soaking wet. Maybe.
A lot of guys who think they can handle that recoil develop a subconscious flinch that stays with them even when firing only one round.

Quote:
And I'm willing to bet that 30-06 recoil is eclipsed by a wide margin with a 300 H&H.
Which gets taken out of the safe once a year, at most. This is the third year running with no elk tag so that's three years now it's been gathering dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
What year did that happen?
Between 2007 and 2012 they were made in SC. In 2013 they moved production (assembly) to Portugal. I don't know if any were made in SC in 2013 or not.

Country of make is in the roll mark on the barrel if you find yourself shopping used.

Quote:
... Not because I think the Portuguese ones are bad (the ones I've handled are awesome), but just because it seems right for an American classic to be, well, American.
That idea of "classic" is why when I decided I *needed* a rifle chambered for 270 Win that rifle would *have* to be a Model 70 Featherweight.

Last edited by Sophia; 10-08-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:15 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Most grown men I know have no objections to the '06 in anything other than a feather weight rifle, my Mauser 2000 has had 40 plus rounds of full power ammo in a sitting through it several times without raising any objections from me. I've not been without an '06 for more than a year or so at a time since the '70s but some find it objectionable. Being able to handle ammunition from 100 grs. (Speer Plinkers) to 220 grs. is a pretty nice trait, but again its a round that engenders love, hate and ambivalence. I doubt I'll ever be without one again.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:17 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I seem to recall you had some studies about the big CF rounds from the way back... Care to share? At this point I've got a .30-06 and a 243 Featherweight

Found this: https://chuckhawks.com/best_selling_...cartridges.htm

USA (Averaged 2015 sales rank)

.223 Remington
.308 Winchester
.30-06 Springfield
.30-30 Winchester
.270 Winchester
.243 Winchester
7mm Remington Magnum
.300 Winchester Magnum
7.62x39mm Soviet
.22-250 Remington

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti

Last edited by FlysAlot; 10-08-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Most grown men I know have no objections to the '06 in anything other than a feather weight rifle...
Oh, don't get me wrong.... not saying it's unmanageable but why use a sledge hammer when a framing hammer will do? Who will argue that less recoil that still gets the job done is a bad thing?

Sure, some folks use one gun for everything or want to fit in and default to the aught-six but if all you ever hunt is deer, especially at the typical 150-ish yard ranges, you don't need a 30-06 Sprg and there are plenty of other options that will get the job done just as well with less recoil. Why not use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Found this: https://chuckhawks.com/best_selling_...cartridges.htm

USA (Averaged 2015 sales rank)
I'm surprised to see the 7.62x39mm made the top ten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
I seem to recall you had some studies about the big CF rounds from the way back...
Need more to go on... what was the topic/theme?

Last edited by Sophia; 10-08-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:28 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My question. Would the 30-06 have been as popular if we did not have the the two world wars?
Old 10-08-2019, 06:49 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
My question. Would the 30-06 have been as popular if we did not have the the two world wars?
Being a military cartridge certainly helps with the popularity. Look at the 223 and the 308.

The ‘06 has been used as the parent cartridge for so many different rounds that it is hard to find one as popular. Even the 50 BMG is just an upsized 30-06.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is also a renaissance of mil surp US arms collecting. A very large number of very good to amazing surplus Garands coming back via the cmp. Most at $650 & $750. Deals on ammo too. Greek and now Philippines returns. Even 1903's coming out of the wood work from places unknown. Some quite nice. Federal and Winchester are offering bulk ammo at very attractive prices. The whole situation builds on itself. Cheap ammo, popular rifles driving down prices and increasing popularity and demand. I can stretch a box of 7mm-08 over several hunting seasons. I can shoot a box of american eagle 06 in an hour. And that is slow by some standards. The 06 is 1000yard capable and that turns some on. The CMP sponsors matches for mil spec arms. The 03 & Garands can be setup with scopes on sniper clones. Takes a little work and $$ but; it gets done. The rear aparture sights on the 03A3 and Garand are very good.

That maybe part of what is going on? Or not, a passing thought.

Last edited by fourbore; 10-08-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:30 PM
NF1E
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Love the 30-06 cartridge. Especially when it is loaded down and shooting a 110 gr bullet so the old bones can handle it.