Store-bought ammo - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:50 AM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Store-bought ammo

It's pretty rare when I shoot factory ammo, but with all my loading gear in storage after moving, I was kinda stuck with shooting some factory ammo in my CZ 527 .17 Hornet. I reckon it will do the job. Five shots/100 yards. CZ 527 American with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18SF (older model).
I really haven't shot this rifle much, I bought it just before I started dating my (now) wife, and she has kept me pretty busy with moving, and this and that, so I haven't had time to mess with it much. However, I think it (and the wife) are keepers.

This was the Hornady 20gr. VMax factory load. I bought a case of it when I bought the rifle (10 boxes). I might not bother to load for it too much, even with an 8lb. jug of 1680 and a bunch of those old ZMax 20gr. bullets I bought when I bought the rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1510.jpg (197.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by glennasher; 10-07-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:15 AM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice job, looks like you got yourself a keeper!
Old 10-07-2019, 05:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I purchased a 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet when CZ first brought it out. I then mounted a Leupold/Redfield 6-18X scope on this rifle in Warne medium rings. Even with the new bolt handle style the bolt hit the silly knurling on the scopes ocular. So ground down the bolt handle. At the time I could only find two boxes of Hornady 17 Hornet ammo (the last administrations ammo shortage) and they were from two different lots. One lot shot around 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups the other lot went 3/16 to 5/16 inch 5 shot groups. My reloads put together in reformed 22 Hornet brass only equal the larger of the two factory loads. Those 50 rounds of Hornady ammo that would group at a 1/4 inch average are going to be tough to beat.