Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:40 AM
Clayton3521

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any info on this serial #1 piece

I just joined this group in hopes to find any information I possibly can. Today I purchased what was labeled as a (custom FN Mauser) 7mm mag. The reason why I jumped on it was the serial number which is GDV0001 which led me to believe it was something good (still hoping!) I got it at a small shop in upstate Vermont and all the owner could tell me about it is the previous owner was a frequent hunter in Africa and was now a bit older no longer goes and this was custom ordered when he purchased it. I sent emails to browning as well as fn with the serial number hoping I will get something back in the next coming days but if anybody on here knows anything about it I would greatly appreciate the information whether it is something rare or common. I’m just hoping with a serial #1 it’s something rare like I said any info anyone has I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance! Also if I can figure out how to get pics on here I will be doing that!
Old 10-07-2019, 01:28 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Not a serial number format that Browning or FN would use.
Since the gun was labeled as a custom Mauser, I think that's exactly what it is, and that the serial number was applied by the gunsmith who built it.Most likely the owner's initials and the first one that he commissioned..

Building up commercial and military actions was not uncommon during the 50s and 60s. I suspect that is what you have.

Last edited by Camster; 10-07-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Clayton3521

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
would they have sent out the receivers with the “FN (logo)-made in Belgium” stamped on it with no serial number? If I could figure out how to put up a pic I would do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton3521 View Post
would they have sent out the receivers with the FN (logo)-made in Belgium stamped on it with no serial number? If I could figure out how to put up a pic I would do that.
Perhaps, prior to the 1968 GCA.
Some guns, Brownings for example, only had the serial number on the barrel prior to that act being implemented,which took a few years.

Unless it says Browning Arms Company on it, it is not a Browning.

You have a FN, just at the dealer claimed. It probably has custom features and a custom stock.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:03 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Camster is right on all counts on this. Listen to him. Your best bet would be to ask the seller to put you in contact with the seller.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:37 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
You may have a very nice rifle. You may have a one of a kind rifle. However, this doesn't mean that you have a very high value rifle. Some of the value resides in who built the rifle, so if you can find that out, it would help.( A name like Griffin and Howe would be such a name, and with them being in NY, plausible for a gun from Vt.)
Take a look at custom rifles offered on GI or GB. Prices can vary a lot.

Last edited by Camster; 10-07-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:09 PM
Clayton3521

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok I will look into all of the suggestions I appreciate the help guys! Also not to feel like an idiot I would’ve posted pictures of it but I can’t figure that out haha.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:12 PM
Clayton3521

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The attached file paper clip just showed up maybe it was because I was new!!
Old 10-08-2019, 06:56 PM
ywaltzucanrknrl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No matter the history, it's a very nice rifle---beautiful stock. I have a couple of FN's similar to that except not as nice and they are fine rifles. They have FN actions and FN marked barrels but different triggers and I'm not sure about the stocks. FWIW, mine have low serial numbers also, one in the low 1,000's and the other below 500. Neither have any letters in the serial number.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:57 PM
ywaltzucanrknrl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like yours has a Canjar single set trigger---I have one on a Savage and it's been a good trigger.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
A handsome custom rifle.
Did you purchase it primarily as a money making scheme or because it's pretty and you like it?
That caliber has little use in the east, not one that I would want to stand behind, so I can see where the Vt dealer would be happy to move it along..
Old 10-12-2019, 02:34 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I think it was made by a Custom Gunsmith using a FN Mauser Supreme action which is one of the best you can get.

That is a beautiful rifle. You have one of the best actions made. The Browning Safari rifles used the same action, but many of them after 1965 also had salt wood which ruined many rifles. Gunsmiths used FN Supreme Actions for their top end rifles.

I bought a NIB FN rifle with all the Browning features, bolt, safety, including a Browning box. The only thing it doesnt have is a Browning serial number or glossy finished stock. The stock looks like a pre 64 Winchester finish. It is in 458 Win Mag. I think it was a prototype of the Browning Safari rifle, probably built in 1959, before the first Browning Safari production rifles. I havent been able to confirm this but nothing else makes sense for FN building a Browning Safari style rifle with a FN serial number. Ive never seen another FN rifle that has all those Browning specific parts.

Good luck in your search for information.

Contacting the person who had it built is probably your best option.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:02 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I would so reload that to 7x57 ballistics and shoot it (no need for magnum in my life).