Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:05 PM
Steven61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stain for birch stock

I made a pattern stock from a Remington 700 that I may use as a working stock for a couple of months. It has some poplar where I've modified it. I want to stain it dark brown so that it approximates the color of walnut and will put sealer and finish over that.

Any suggestions for a hardware store stain that is compatible with polyurethane sealer & finish? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2019, 07:51 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Dye

I like to use a dye rather than a stain . It travels deeper into the wood .
Old 10-06-2019, 08:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Birch does not absorb oil stains uniformly. You definitely want to use a good aniline dye. You can use it two ways: applied like an oil stain by diluting it in alcohol or you can mix it into shellac or lacquer top coat. Since birch is a tough wood to get a uniform finish on, I would mix it with shellac as an undercoat sealer and then apply the finish of your choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Steven61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you. Since this is only a pattern stock, I'm not concerned about the finish except that it is 1) dark brown and 2) waterproof. I extended the forend to make it a mannlicher-style stock with laminated poplar, so the pattern stock is never going to be pretty. The gun is a Ruger 77/357 with an 18" barrel and I thought the mannlicher forearm would look better on it. I fully expect it to be multiple shades of brown because of the different woods and glue seams after dyeing.

I thought I might use dark brown RIT dye, since I have some on hand. Is RIT an aniline dye?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:21 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some people use RIT but it is not an analine dye and it contains a lot of salt. It is meant to be used with fabrics not wood. It is also water based so it is going to raise the wood grain when you apply it which then needs to be sanded down. I have had good luck with leather dyes like Fiebling's or Angellus that you can buy on Amazon very cheaply. They are alcohol based analine dyes that will give you the dark brown color you are seeking. I have tested this dye with a tru-oil, polyurethane and lacquer final coat and had no bad reactions to the dye.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Even though it is a pattern stock is no reason not to learn from how the two woods take some dyes.
Test dye the barrel channel with whatever you intend to use. Do 'spots', not the whole thing, to see how it takes. One piece will want to be lighter, find which and add another application of dye trying to match the two up. I remember one patch that I needed two apps of walnut and a bit of cherry to color up to the stock. Btw, a number of old walnut or walnut stains had some red aspect in them, it adds some 'richness'.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Steven61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, I had forgotten about the salt in RIT and definitely don't want that. I'll get some Fieblings . The tip on test spots in the barrel channel is good too. I appreciate the advice!