Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:07 AM
CustomPC
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How good are the Henry Frontiers?

I made the trip to the gun store this morning fully intending to buy a Browning BL22.

I'd never handled one before but had done some research and watched enough YouTube videos and read enough reviews and forum threads to figure they are a good rifle.

When i handled the rifle i loved the short throw of the lever and overall quality but was somewhat disappointed by the short length of pull and the rear sight being too close for my old eyes to see.

Then the salesman said "The Henry is a larger rifle and more suited to someone of your stature" (i'm 6'3").

I must admit I have overlooked Henry's until now and thus had not even considered one.
When I handled the Henry I was pleasantly surprised how good it came to the shoulder. The LOP was good for me and the sights were easy to see.
Then I racked the lever and wow, it was surprisingly slick and felt nice.

I was sufficiently enough impressed by the Henry that I didn't buy the BL22 and I left the shop to research the Henry before i make a final decision.

So here I am, wanting to know the good and the bad about the Henry Frontier models. How accurate are they? Any issues with quality, function or longevity?

The rifle will be used mainly for target work and I fully intend to fit either a Skinner or Williams peep sight as soon as possible.

Last edited by CustomPC; 10-05-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:57 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are fine shooters. The big complaint is the receivers are cast pot metal and that the paint is subject to chips etc. the fancy ones , like golden boys hav sheaths that cover the receiver. No one complains about how they shoot.

I’m 6 ‘2 and I like little guns. So my Henry is a H001Y a youth model. It shoots as good as my Bl22 . But I like the bl 22 better because of the short throw. My bl22 is an early model with an oil finish and a decent trigger. The new ones are glossy stocks and a heavy trigger.

So if you think the Henry fits you better, go for it. You’ll love it!

Also the glossy stocks of the bl 22 are more susceptible to dings and scratches than the Henry stocks.

And Henry is a great company, with great customer support, and service.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 10-05-2019 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:10 AM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two Henry rifles, the first is a Frontier. I've shot it in numerous cowboy smallbore silhouette matches and it always shot better when I had less caffeine before the match, which is to say it wasn't the rifle holding me back. I've since bought a Frontier TLB with its 24" barrel and have seen a significant improvement in offhand accuracy, perhaps because of the longer sight radius but also because it seems the newer Henry's have a somewhat lighter trigger with a cleaner break.

Both rifles have been reliable with the only problem arising from some overly waxed CCI SV gumming up the works of the TLB on a day when the thermometer was struggling to reach 5 degrees. I have heard that sometimes a Henry has issues when it leaves the factory, but they have a lifetime, 100% satisfaction guarantee and a passion to live up to that promise.

Edit to add that I have other Browning firearms and they're some of my favorites in my collection.

Last edited by TrblShtr; 10-05-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 09:35 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've owned several Frontiers. I sold the 20" guns and bought a 24" Frontier when Henry started producing them. Originally, it was just going to be a spare gun for visitors at our silhouette range, but my wife preferred it over her mint 1958 Marlin 39A, so she competes with the Henry now. Great gun.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:19 PM
Pete44ru

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

The octagon barrel alone is worth the price of admission...

Old 10-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Chucksolo1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought one to supplement my H001 Classic and Golden Boy. Yeah, the octagon barrel is what I like about the rifle. It just looks so "western."
Old 10-06-2019, 02:32 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I'm 6' 3" and prefer carbines, have two of them one being the Small Game Carbine and an Evil Roy...which even has a 1" shorter length of pull than the SGC.

They both shoot great!

Last edited by Cowpokey; 10-06-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Im circling my wagons on a Henry Rimfire..

On paper have narrowed it down to a classic carbine, small game carbine ( cause I think a receiver mounted peep is a plus ) or an Evil Roy cause I like the nickel finish & octagonal barrel.

Can always add a Skinner receiver Peep to the classic or ER.. albeit might require futzing w front sights.. but that’s ok ..

Any advice you can add would me appreciated as you Have two of the three I’m considering

tnx!
-Mark
Old 10-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Chucksolo1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both a Classic H001 and A Golden Boy. This Sunday I will Pick up my Octagon Frontier. My Classic is so accurate it really surprised me. I put a cheap Walmart scope on it and I can't miss with it. My GB is accurate with the iron sights. I won't ruin its looks by scoping it. Buy the Classic to try Henry's out. You will want another after that!
Old 10-09-2019, 03:41 PM
lastofthebreed
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have one of the Frontiers. I bought it for the looks, I think the octagon barrel makes it the best looking 22 out there.

What surprised me was how it shot. I have 2 Marlin 39A's and the Henry will out shoot both of them.

The action is as slick as STP and I have had zero issues with it feeding and firing. It is by far my favorite 22 LR for casual plinking and hunting.

Buy it, I predict you will like it.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLH View Post
Im circling my wagons on a Henry Rimfire..

On paper have narrowed it down to a classic carbine, small game carbine ( cause I think a receiver mounted peep is a plus ) or an Evil Roy cause I like the nickel finish & octagonal barrel.

Can always add a Skinner receiver Peep to the classic or ER.. albeit might require futzing w front sights.. but that’s ok ..

Any advice you can add would me appreciated as you Have two of the three I’m considering

tnx!
-Mark
My SGC was shooting 3 1/2" high at 25 yards with the rear peep sight bottomed out, ended up putting a .530" front sight on from Skinner ($18) and it's shooting bullseye @ 25 with the rear sight "one round up"*. I heard Henry will send a new sight or two free of charge if you contact them...I could have saved a little money.

On my ER, I put a barrel mount dovetail (in place of the factory buckhorn) rear peep sight on, and it zeroed at 25 no problem with the factory .450" front sight. I like the look of the ER better, but the longer sight radius of the SGC does give it an edge.

The ER does have pre-drilled holes under the rear buckhorn sight, I didn't know that until after I removed the rear buckhorn. Knowing what I know now; I would have spent more money and got the Skinner peep sight that mounts to the barrel with the pre-drilled and tapped holes, for that extra couple inches of sight radius. As for the receiver mounted peep sights that go on the 3/8" rail, I think that would require a taller front sight, as it puts the rear sight up higher than the factory SGC rear sight.

Hope that helps give you some more info on those two. Can't go wrong with either one, the buckhorn sights just don't work with my eyes, can't get the rear sight in focus with or without glasses...and having my head in a natural cheek weld on the stock.

*edit add: The Skinner peep sights are adjustable half a round up/down at a time, you just unscrew the rear aperture, and put it in the other side.

Last edited by Cowpokey; 10-09-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:12 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's the family, my daughter loves her Golden Boy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Evil_Roy_Skinner.jpg (490.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg family.jpg (574.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Horsehead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the small game carbine and not only is it a ton of fun to shoot, but it is incredibly accurate with the receiver mounted peep sight!

I like it so much I got a .357 big boy carbine and put a Skinner peep sight on it as well so I could switch between the two with little to no appreciable variation except cost to shoot and marginal felt recoil. Hope to take a deer with the .357 this season!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehead View Post
I have the small game carbine and not only is it a ton of fun to shoot, but it is incredibly accurate with the receiver mounted peep sight!

I like it so much I got a .357 big boy carbine and put a Skinner peep sight on it as well so I could switch between the two with little to no appreciable variation except cost to shoot and marginal felt recoil. Hope to take a deer with the .357 this season!

You are another "enabler"...dang it, now I "need" a 357 Big Boy too...son of a
Old 10-09-2019, 07:26 PM
Horsehead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
You are another "enabler"...dang it, now I "need" a 357 Big Boy too...son of a
Dooooooo it. You won't regret it!